Fan Clubs | beta

Guitars!

Red05

We had a "guitar buying adivce" thread back in late 2007 and it was cool to have a place to chat about makes, models and accessories etc. So here's a new thread for us guitar lovers, owners and players. Currently I have been rocking this Vintage Vs6. A basic piece really, but after popping a string on my old guitar and being offered this for free (technically I'm "borrowing" it, but it's not going anywhere soon), I couldn't say no. I didn't want to either, check out that funky paint job!

My old guitar is sat in the cupboard waiting to be restringed, which I could do any time, I just haven't bothered since I've had the Vs6 to play. Now I'm looking into getting some new gear of my own. Again. I looked before and nothing came of it, but this time I'm looking for something to get around my birthday and/or Christmas. I really want something new, both acoustic and electric.

For the acoustic, I'm looking at this with big beady eyes; I think it looks great, really cool yet classy. I can't explain it. Then for the electric, I'm still dancing around an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but I've also warmed to the Strats quite recently as well. Really do like that Yamaha acoustic though, it's a very tempting price.

So, what guitars do you have? Do you prefer acoustic? Electric? What can you play? What are you learning? What troubles are you having? Come on, let's get down...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Axe collection goes like this:

Gibson J45 Accoustic, I tracked it back to being made in 1964, had to have some work done on it, but the guy did a sterling job and it is a monster of a sound.

Ovation 12 string accoustic, they always seem like a good idea at the time, it was cheap(ish) at £300 but it cost a fortune in strings.

Washburn Ltd Edition Festival accoustic, signed by some geezer called Craig Chiquito, I use this one for sessioning mostly due to its superior amp module.

Haven't ventured into the electric guitar area to be honest as the effects pedals and the gibbo do a pretty damn good impression!

Guest Nicole

I know bits and pieces about guitars, I dont play anymore, but if I do, I use J's collection which consists of:

ESP LTD Grynch (one of 260 worldwide). Baritone. This guitar is a beast, and it's lush. Has a proper wow factor when it comes out of the case for gigs.

Epiphone explorer in gothic black with esp pickups.

Epiphone Les Paul in gothic black (used in the house or for band practice)

ESP LTD EX 100 Explorer in titanium, which is currently out of action due to a bent truss rod.

I do love a nice acoustic. Joel has a beautiful Ibanez acoustic and the tone of it is out of this world. Lovely lovely guitar.

Guest Kanenite

Here is mine but in black, love the Les Paul models and love mine. But I just haven't shown much of an interest in learning guitar recently. That's my first guitar and I got it February/March so have done a fair bit of playing and all that but I tend to look at a song and think oh I can't be arsed i'll leave it.

I'm yet to even play a full song, just parts of them. The most i've got with songs though are The Rover by Led Zeppelin and Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden.

Good luck with the guitar buying Raymondo and with the guitaring, strum on my friend.

Ovation 12 string accoustic, they always seem like a good idea at the time, it was cheap(ish) at £300 but it cost a fortune in strings.

Heh, I can imagine! I've never considered getting a 12 string, or an Ovation actually. Are they good? The bowl type design has always intruiged me, but I've never fully investigated.

I do love a nice acoustic. Joel has a beautiful Ibanez acoustic and the tone of it is out of this world. Lovely lovely guitar.

I've been looking at Ibanez acoustics; I like the accented touches, the almost tribal design work can look really cool. You got a picture? Or what make is it?

Here is mine but in black, love the Les Paul models and love mine. But I just haven't shown much of an interest in learning guitar recently. That's my first guitar and I got it February/March so have done a fair bit of playing and all that but I tend to look at a song and think oh I can't be arsed i'll leave it.

I'm yet to even play a full song, just parts of them. The most i've got with songs though are The Rover by Led Zeppelin and Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden.

Good luck with the guitar buying Raymondo and with the guitaring, strum on my friend.

Keep going with it, man. You're just like I was. Before I really got into it (about 10-11 months ago) I used to pick it up only occassionally, longing to be competent but never putting in the work or effort required. And you have a cool guitar, if I'd have looked on the net for my first one I might have gone for that Les Paul style. If/when I get a new electric I think I'm almost certain to get a Les Paul Standard, I just feel like I need that guitar. It's one I should have. I just should.

Also, whilst looking through millions of guitars today, I've found my dream acoustic:

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionRegular/Taylor/489771_Xjpg.jpg

It's a Taylor 812ce, and I think it's beautiful. Myles Kennedy was playing one during a performance of "Hallelujah" and the sound quality of the guitar was amazing, such a tremendous tone! It costs upwards of £2000 like, so I won't be owning one any time soon, but one day. That's something I'd definitely like to do, build up a collection of guitars. Modern guitars, classic guitars, acoustic, electric, electro-acoustic, all makes and models. Yes.

Edited by Red05

Guest big pau hoolinator
I got an Ibanez RG350EX because I think Ibanez definitely and maybe RGs are the best guitars going. I keep toying with the idea of buying a higher end RG but I dont play enough lately to justify it. We'll see....

Heh, I can imagine! I've never considered getting a 12 string, or an Ovation actually. Are they good? The bowl type design has always intruiged me, but I've never fully investigated.

Feels a bit cheap with the plastic back, but the sound is fine.

Feels a bit cheap with the plastic back, but the sound is fine.

Yeah, well, the sound is the most important thing after all. Also, I've never been one for flying V's, but this just caught my eye...

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3095/7175910pm8.jpg

It's an ESP LTD GL-600V George Lynch Signature. I love the colour and the slight roundness of the V itself, very stylish.

I can't stand V's to be honest, I've never played one that felt right standing up and sitting down just defines the word pointless. They look nice, I'll grant you.

My collection so far:

Ltd edition epiohne Les Paul in Translucent blue pic

Fender dreadnaught accoustic (1968)

Mexican Squire Strat in white with tortoise shell scratch plate Pic

Peavey fretless 4 string bass

Jedson Telecaster copy (worst guitar I'd ever seen but plays soooo nicely, free from a mates dad)

Random Czech accoustic out of production but highly sought after apparently.

I can't stand V's to be honest, I've never played one that felt right standing up and sitting down just defines the word pointless. They look nice, I'll grant you.

My collection so far:

Ltd edition epiohne Les Paul in Translucent blue pic

Fender dreadnaught accoustic (1968)

Mexican Squire Strat in white with tortoise shell scratch plate Pic

Peavey fretless 4 string bass

Jedson Telecaster copy (worst guitar I'd ever seen but plays soooo nicely, free from a mates dad)

Random Czech accoustic out of production but highly sought after apparently.

I really like the translucent blue colour for the Les Paul, if I buy one it's either the classic sunburst or that. And you also make a good point about V's. I can't imagine them being very comfortable or practical to play when sitting down. Standing up though, they shouldn't be too bad.

In the next few days I am likely to buy myself this Yamaha electro/acoustic...

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8093/img10292817801sa2.jpg

I haven't decided on the colour yet, but it'll probably be either red or natural. It played absolutely beautifully in the shop, it's in my budget, and the Yamahas are so well built it'll be with me for many years to come. I intended to get a full acoustic originally, but then I discovered the advantages of the cut away design, and realised that the electro/acoustic models would give me the best of both worlds for pretty much the same price. I am looking to buy this through SoundsLive.co.uk - has anyone here used them before? If so, did everything go smoothly?

Very nice Ray, the Yamaha models are indeed very nice, I don't own one myself but I've played a lot of them and they always come across as very well made and sounding.

I think my next guitar will likely be an electro-acoustic as well. I do have a full acoustic, but it would be nice to be able to plug it in and amp up that sound, so I wouldn't need to keep emulating an amped acoustic with my electrics and Cube 30 amp (which has a swish acoustic effect on it).

Very nice Ray, the Yamaha models are indeed very nice, I don't own one myself but I've played a lot of them and they always come across as very well made and sounding.

I think my next guitar will likely be an electro-acoustic as well. I do have a full acoustic, but it would be nice to be able to plug it in and amp up that sound, so I wouldn't need to keep emulating an amped acoustic with my electrics and Cube 30 amp (which has a swish acoustic effect on it).

Yeah I played a lot of guitars and the Yamaha was the best for me. Actually, well, I also played a Tanglewood which rivalled the sound, but it was a fair bit dearer.

I'm just doing research on this Yamaha APX500 that I'm looking at, and I may have found it cheaper on a few sites. Originally I looked at that SoundsLive website (and I'd still like to hear people's thoughts on that), but I've also seen it on Gear4Music.com at only a few pounds dearer, which might not be so bad as I've used G4M (recommended to me by wyndorf, r.i.p) before and if I bought it there I'd also buy a few other bits and bobs as I know it's a reliable place. BUT...now I've been really looking, I see the natural finish is up £20 cheaper on DolphinMusic.co.uk, but I've never heard of that site before. The black and dark red finishes are also up at that lesser price on iMusician.co.uk, another site I haven't come across before now.

Has anyone here used those sites, if so, were they reliable? To me, this is a fair bit of money so I'm doing my research before I pull out the plastic. So what do you think; what would you do?

Guest Al Stevens
Been thinking last night and i think the next guitar i am going to get is another Base cause i had a go with mine yesterday and well a new one wouldn't go amiss

Gear4Music as far as I know is quite a reputable site, know a number of people who have bought stuff off there, infact I was probably going to pick up my next guitar off of there (whatever it may be), but it's good that you're researching it properly and not just thinking **** it and jumping onto Ebay like I've done in the past!

Gear4Music as far as I know is quite a reputable site, know a number of people who have bought stuff off there, infact I was probably going to pick up my next guitar off of there (whatever it may be), but it's good that you're researching it properly and not just thinking **** it and jumping onto Ebay like I've done in the past!

Yeah, I absolutely hate parting with cash of any amount, let alone a couple of hundred. So I'm very careful, which is one reason why I haven't ever really explored eBay. I want to buy from a proper, reputable store. What about DolphinMusic or iMusician? Heard anything about them? I hope DM is alright, because then I'd probably go for the natural finish and I'd have it for under £200, which would bring it back into my original budget. BUT, I don't mind paying a bit more (hello, Gear4Music!) to be assured that I'll be getting what I want, in the right condition etc etc.

I haven't dealt with either of those sites before, to be honest, but I wouldn't think there'd be anything dodgy about them worth worrying about.

Is that definately the guitar you're gunna get (very good choice if it is), because it's common sense really that it's best if you've played the guitar yourself before buying it, because obviously you can't test any guitars online..

Just take your time man, look into the sites as best you can, check postage and stuff cause all the little charges add up, see what would be the best deal for you.

Though I must say, it's always a risk, but I've had some very nice surprises off Ebay before.

Welp, I've gone through with everything and placed my orders. Coming to a house near me (hopefully mine) soon is a natural coloured Yamaha APX-500, a new 6m cable, a cool Fender strap, a solid clamp style Dunlop capo and a soft guitar case. Now, I hate to spend money, I really do, and spending over £250 (just over, mind) in this case has seen me go over the orders a million times before placing them. So here, if not just for my own piece of mind, I shall justify my purchases.

- The cable is a need really. I have two cables; one doesn't work and the other is bent at one end so a new one was needed. A need, not a want.

- The strap is quite cool by design, green coloured with a red star patch on it, and cheap enough to not be a bother. I wanted a strap for the guitar, and this was cool and cheap. Nothing extravagent, so no worries.

- A Dunlop capo. Not the cheapest capo I could've bought, but the spring/clamp style is very reputable and it's a solid, dependable instrument that's worth the money. A quality product.

- The Yamaha APX-500. I've wanted an acoustic guitar forever, and I played this in the shop and it was completely brilliant, the best sounding guitar I'd played that morning/afternoon. It's an electro/acoustic so I have the best of both worlds, and it's a well built Yamaha that, if treated well, will be with me forever. I also shopped around and found it £20 cheaper, so I made a saving on a guitar that I know is great and worth the money!

- A soft guitar case. The product specification actually highlighted the Yamaha APX series as a perfect product for use with this exact bag, so it's a match made in heaven. I want to take good care of this guitar as it's cost me a small bundle, and this is a good way to do it - a proper case to keep it safe in when I'm not playing it. This is perfectly sensible.

Financially, my bank balance is obviously taking a hit - BUT - I can recoup it in the next couple of months, and once I get my driving out of the way my monthly outgoings will drop to pretty much zero, so I'll get the money back. I'm young, I should live a little, and this is completely worth it.