Fan Clubs | beta

Guitars!

Red05

I have to say eBay is absolutely fantastic, if you're going to buy unbranded guitars/people's project guitars. This is generally because due to there not being a 'name' on the headstock most people discount them even if they are better. You just need to make sure it has the right hardware but you can get some great bargains.

My collection:

Custom Built Telecaster

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/despairwhere/telenew1.jpg

This is a perfect example of one of those eBay dream buys. I managed to buy the guitar for about £300, but it plays like something triple the price. It has a vintage Gretsch pick-up at the neck, a schaller in the middle and a Seymour Duncan at the bridge. Just an awesome guitar to play.

Custom Built Stratocaster

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/despairwhere/8d04_12.jpg

Another eBay bargain, as it's a strat with gold hardware and an ash body for around £200. The pick-ups installed were pretty good but I managed to find a great deal on lace sensors on the internet, so by installing those pretty much made it sound like a guitar double the price.

Jackson Surfcaster

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/despairwhere/53_1.jpg

eBay is also great for buying discontinued models. This guitar was a bit of a purchase due to the fact it looks so damn cool, plus the neck plays so sweet as well. Only thing that really needs doing is upgrading the pick-up at the bridge, but other than that it's great.

Project

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/despairwhere/Guitar2.jpg

So after praising the merits of project guitars I've decided to do one myself. It's taken a while to sort it out due to various things I tried that were definitely overambitious for my first attempt at a guitar. But once it's finished I think it's going to sound and look absolutely sweet.

Fender USA Telecaster

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/despairwhere/100_0336.jpg

After all these guitars I've got to say this in many ways could be the worst value for money guitar I have, and it reinforces my point that name isn't everything. It has an amazing tone with the neck pick-up but the bridge is pretty weak which is a shame. Still it just shows that these fairly cheap project guitars you can get on eBay are insanely good value for money.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Jackson Surfcaster looks sweet! In terms of projects guitars, I would be interested in fixing up my Freshman electric at some point perhaps, or buying another guitar to fix up, but at the moment I don't really have the knowledge or desire. What things did you try that were overambitious, if you don't mind my asking?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2768993254_c04b77d503.jpg?v=0

My Fender DG-3 - picked up for about £50 in a second hand shop in Glasgow. And yes, I know it has a string missing...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2768991892_fb37379061.jpg?v=0

Ibanez GRX 70 - given to me for nothing by the peeps upstairs when they moved out, complete with a itty bitty practice amp too. Perfect for me!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2768167739_78af002321.jpg?v=0

The only thing my ex gave me (bar Shawn and even then sometimes...) that I value - a guitar pick she had made from a gold ring she had melted down and used my favourite pick (which I still have) as a template for the jeweller. Sounds like crap when you play with it, but it looks damned cool!

I have two very cheap acoustics, both from second hand shops. One is a Hohner and the other's a Jim Deacon. I've no idea if they're any good but I'm not very good on the guitar so they suit me just fine. :)

Oh, and a Tanglewood tuner which is a lifesaver as I'm terrible at tuning up by ear.

Edited by A.C.

I have two very cheap acoustics, both from second hand shops. One is a Hohner and the other's a Jim Deacon. I've no idea if they're any good but I'm not very good on the guitar so they suit me just fine. :)

Oh, and a Tanglewood tuner which is a lifesaver as I'm terrible at tuning up by ear.

I have a Korg GA-30 tuner which is very helpeful as I can't yet tune by ear. I can tell when it needs tuning, I just can't do it! Thankfully, the tuner is spot on.

That Jackson Surfcaster looks sweet! In terms of projects guitars, I would be interested in fixing up my Freshman electric at some point perhaps, or buying another guitar to fix up, but at the moment I don't really have the knowledge or desire. What things did you try that were overambitious, if you don't mind my asking?

Oh things like trying to wire weird pick-up combinations with the switch, and some really selective coil tapping. Thing is with your Freshman electric, is that if it plays nice (as in the neck feels good and the strings are set up well) all you really need to do is change the pick-ups and you've ratcheted up the quality pretty quickly. Once again eBay is great for finding great deals on some sweet pickups.

Oh things like trying to wire weird pick-up combinations with the switch, and some really selective coil tapping. Thing is with your Freshman electric, is that if it plays nice (as in the neck feels good and the strings are set up well) all you really need to do is change the pick-ups and you've ratcheted up the quality pretty quickly. Once again eBay is great for finding great deals on some sweet pickups.

The Freshman does actually play quite well, but the neck feels a bit cheap material wise. Still, I'd be interested in having a go at whacking in some new pick ups, if not just to get the hang of the whole "doing up guitars" thing.

My guitar is here! Yes, very prompt delivery of a VERY good product. I'm playing it now, it's like a dream. The strap and capo came with it and they're both fine, and the lead also came. Brilliant! Just waiting on the case now, hopefully that'll come later this week. I shall take pictures soon...

Okay, so, I brokeded the high E string. :(

Well, no, IT BROKE, I didn't actually do anything. Got replacements already on their way, as well as the case (and I also ordered, on impulse, a string winder)! I reckon these strings may have been sitting on the guitar a fair while before I got my hands on them, so they weren't use to being played or tuned or something else that removes the blame from me.

I've also been experimenting with tunings lately, and I have to say that Drop D is bad ass to the bone, really completes some songs. Just that extra ROAR of bass is immense. I tried Drop C as well, which is pretty good too. I've been playing some stuff (mainly Shinedown material) all in standard out of pure laziness, and it's sounded okay, but in the correct tuning it's just this big old dollop of icing on the cake. Brilliant.

Roll on Tuesday/Wednesday, I want the rest of my guitar stuffs!

I am currently experiencing difficulties restringing my guitar. I have read/watch a few tutorials on how to complete this process, but I still find myself troubled with it. This post does not convey my immense anger and distress at this current time, nor does it contain the tirade of expletives I would like to use. Simply, I cannot restring a guitar.

It's the bit at the headstock where I seem to fail, I don't get the whole bending the string past the hole, then string it and wrap it twice, no no don't wrap it, just slide it through, no do it twice then put it through again! The tutorials are often unspeakably awful at explaining this part of the process. I believe I have kinked the B string beyond use, and thus, my guitar remains out of action.

I am so annoyed right now that I could happily die, just to be relieved.

Edited by Red05

Heh, you know, I used Justin's videos just as I was considering giving up all together (ages ago, this is), and his style of teaching encouraged me to continue. So I'm familiar with him. After watching his video (easily the best tutorial) I was motivated to try again. However, I ended up snapping the new B string (crap!). I then tried to put the old B string on and have done so kind of successfully. It's on, and in tune, but it looks terrible at the headstock. It's all raggedy and in no way tight and tidy like the rest. Will that hold, do you think?

• 1 month later...
Heh, you know, I used Justin's videos just as I was considering giving up all together (ages ago, this is), and his style of teaching encouraged me to continue. So I'm familiar with him. After watching his video (easily the best tutorial) I was motivated to try again. However, I ended up snapping the new B string (crap!). I then tried to put the old B string on and have done so kind of successfully. It's on, and in tune, but it looks terrible at the headstock. It's all raggedy and in no way tight and tidy like the rest. Will that hold, do you think?

Sorry for the late reply, but I think it should be ok as long as it holds its tune ok. I think it's more of a cosmetic thing I had the same problem with my low E but it seems to work fine. I've messed up a few strings before and they don't seem as "tight" as the others, but they do the job fine, certainly not worth taking off and replacing again.

I'd consider replacing it, if you have problems with it, but seeing as that was the older string and the newer string is broken, I imagine you would have to buy a new set of strings, or at least a replacement, which tbh I don't think is worth it.

See how you get on anyways mate.

It's held up fine since my last post, keeping tune well enough and everything.

I did wonder seeing as it had been a while since your post, but good to see it's holding up ok! :xyx

Guest Jaycey Baby
I wish someone would just put a clear diagram of how to restring a guitar on the web instead of mistakenly thinking they're charismatic enough to make a video of themselves showing us how to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
I wish someone would just put a clear diagram of how to restring a guitar on the web instead of mistakenly thinking they're charismatic enough to make a video of themselves showing us how to do it.

Apologies for the late reply, but yes, I agree with this - very much so.

Also, my Yamaha is still a joy to play, even with the gammy B and E strings! They hold their tune fine, so all is well, they just look poor in comparison to the others. I've also broken out that electric I'm borrowing tonight, and jeepers, it's tremendously easy to play, I feel like a much better guitarist back on the electric!

This leads me to...........wanting a new electric. Yup, then I can give this borrowed beast back, and have a decent electric of my own, as well as a solid acoustic/electric, and my crappy starter guitar for nostalgia purposes. I'll probably buy after Christmas, and I'm looking at either a Les Paul Standard, or a Firebird - both Epiphone, I should add; my pockets aren't that deep.

Edited by Red05

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, folks! Yes indeed, I'm dragging this old dog back up again. There's a good reason though, I need help fixing my (borrowed - eep!) electric. I originally had two issues, but then I found the screw wedged between my carpet and the bottom of the wardrobe - no fuss! But the remaining problem relates to the cable jack. It's gone inside the guitar. Somehow, at some time, I assume, the nut must have fallen off and unlike the aforementioned screw - it remains to be seen. Here's a grainy, blurry picture to illustrate this...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4346/image01318mf1.jpg

...it's very blurry, sorry about that, but you can clearly see the jack has dipped into the guitar. I've rummaged around in the tool box and found an arrangement of nuts and washes, but none seem to fit. I''ve taken the back off the gutiar and I can easily push it back out, I just need a nut (and wash, really) to lock it in place out there.

I'm not sure where to get one though. It needs to be like a flat nut, or a shallow nut, I forget what my Dad said it was now, but like - not a fat one. It has to be quite slimline. So, where can I get one? Do I need to go to the manufacturers website? What do I do?