Fan Clubs (beta)

Mac vs. PC

Guest Diablo

Mac's are good reliable systems if you can afford them and quite frankly if you can't work a Mac you might as well give up..

That being said it's a lot cheaper building a PC and generally you can get a lot more in terms of performance than on a Mac.

To me the only reason to get a Mac if you have the cash is for video, music or image editing.

Mac = The Art Crowd

PC = Everyone else

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicole

You talk about spec and stuff like it's the be all and end all. It really isn't.

I was talking about the crazy partitioning on macs when they already have loads of PC's. I couldn't give a monkeys about the money, of which they have absolutely millions. Universities are generally very very rich and have plenty of money to play with, Worcester has just spent £120 million on land to build a third campus on.

Guest Nicole
Mac's are good reliable systems if you can afford them and quite frankly if you can't work a Mac you might as well give up..

That being said it's a lot cheaper building a PC and generally you can get a lot more in terms of performance than on a Mac.

To me the only reason to get a Mac if you have the cash is for video, music or image editing.

Mac = The Art Crowd

PC = Everyone else

If I could afford a Mac, I'd still rather have one for everyday stuff over a PC. Just something about a Mac is just nicer to work with than a PC.

Guest Jayfunk
Universities are generally very very rich

are they really? no every uni has a budget, especially as PC will serve 99.9 % of there students.

If I could afford a Mac, I'd still rather have one for everyday stuff over a PC. Just something about a Mac is just nicer to work with than a PC.

in what regard?

Edited by Jayfunk

I went to Worcester, worked on the old macs there, then they built this brand new suite after I graduated...

Not impressed! :)

Oh and Jay, stop making your opinion "fact" again please!

Well that's exactly what I said..if you could afford it.

Guest Nicole
I went to Worcester, worked on the old macs there, then they built this brand new suite after I graduated...

Not impressed! :)

I never knew you went to worcester :) They've got a fantastic digital arts lab which is what I used last year, and they built a seperate Mac Lab for the Journalism students to use, which is fantastic, has 35 Macs, all with 20 inch flat screen monitors with brand new design software on.

I never knew you went to worcester :) They've got a fantastic digital arts lab which is what I used last year, and they built a seperate Mac Lab for the Journalism students to use, which is fantastic, has 35 Macs, all with 20 inch flat screen monitors with brand new design software on.

Yeah, did my graphic design degree there.

Also nearly burnt the place down in the ceramics lab!

Forgot his sirname, but the guy sorting out the PC labs was Paul, short guy with glasses and an earring. He was the one who did the graphics but he was promoted up to the organiser of all the digital media.

I came back after I graduated to see the digital media place in action. Looked nice!

Guest Jayfunk

never stopped you, but Pc are cheaper for the same spec. fact! (some thing are get over it)

Guest Nicole
Just two knob jockeys who work in there now, Anthony and his nerdy sidekick. If anything ever goes wrong, they come in, fiddle with connections which have already been checked and slyly turn it off and back on again. Last resort to them is using another machine. Good facilities, poor staff to go with them!

Guest ScottyB
never stopped you, but Pc are cheaper for the same spec. fact! (some thing are get over it)

But in general terms Macs piss all over PCs; they're a lot more stylish and they don't yet get viruses.

I'm happy using a PC, I have good software (*cough* Adobe Master Collection CS4 *cough*) which in theory allows me to what they can do on a Mac, the only problem is if I hadn't borrowed it off my friend torrence, then it'd have set me back more than the price of a Mac.

Guest Nicole
I've got one of the programmes from CS4 and it's awesome, but its just not as good on a PC as it is on the Mac, mainly because of the keyboard shortcuts on the Mac being so good.

Just two knob jockeys who work in there now, Anthony and his nerdy sidekick. If anything ever goes wrong, they come in, fiddle with connections which have already been checked and slyly turn it off and back on again. Last resort to them is using another machine. Good facilities, poor staff to go with them!

Ah, well Paul was a good Graphics lecturer before he was promoted, they brought another bloke in but he wasn't as good, Andy I think his name was. If I remember, the technicians at the place were all a bit nerdy and very useless, so nothing new there :)

Used a Mac before, and I'm not a fan. Just doesn't seem any easier or better in any way except for the lack of bloatware that you can get rid of on a PC if you know how to alter things to suit your needs. I'm sure the audio editing is great and all, but I also bet that I could make just as cool stuff on a PC with the right Adone Audition and some talent.

I say that biasedly, admittedly, because for all the talk of how inferior XP and Vista are (questionable - XP is still standard and Vista isn't as bad as people make out), as a BETA user, I can tell you that Windows 7 wipes the floor with every OS out there - OS X, XP, Ubuntu, etc. Really really awesome OS and Microsoft's return to the top of the league. You'd have to bribe me with a hell of a lot to make me swap Win7 for a Mac.

Guest Jayfunk
But in general terms Macs piss all over PCs; they're a lot more stylish and they don't yet get viruses.

there is a reason why microsoft rules the world by sales because a) its good and b) every Pc as it is money talks apple walks, stylish or not it is a long way behind billl gates...Fact

there is a reason why microsoft rules the world by sales because a) its good and b) every Pc as it is money talks apple walks, stylish or not it is a long way behind billl gates...Fact

Once again I ask you not to confuse your opinion with fact, if you have fact, could you please back it up and cite the source of your fact?

Well i must admit I did look at the macbook and the bog standard one just didn't have the power I needed and would have cost big bucks to get it to the way it would be needed to do all my video editing on the fly.

The thin Mac book is even worse, you don't even get standard things on it.

Not say one is better over the other, those were my opinions of the macbooks.