Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Manny Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton

Guest Jack

Guest Zidane

Yes, let's all turn on him because he lost to possibly the best boxer in the world.

He's been World Champion several times, but came up short against the two very best in the world. There is absolutely no shame in that. He's had a great career, made his millions, achieved worldwide fame - I think he's done pretty well, all things considered.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The GS
For the record, I haven't turned on him; never liked him in the first place.

I stand by my post: Typically overhyped British star failing to do anything of worth in a pretty boring and soon-to-be irrelevent sport. News at 11.

I agree that he's been pretty over-hyped. I'm not being all patriotic now but seriously Ireland has some of the best young and current boxers in the world at the moment. John Duddy, Andy Lee, Bernard Dunne (world champion), Kenny Egan (olympic silver medalist), Katie Taylor (world champion), Darren Sutherland (future Tyson), Paddy Barnes.

All these great great boxers do get hyped up by the media in Ireland but no-where near the hyping up the English boxers like Khan or Hatton get by the English media.

Just look at Englands Soccer World Cup in 2002 for over hyping madness.

Guest Jack
Wait, you mean to tell me that Ricky Hatton was sh*t and lost?
Fair enough, it's no suprise he lost, but sh*t? Yeah, I think someone needs to learn a thing or two about boxing.

Typically overhyped British star failing to do anything of worth in a pretty boring and soon-to-be irrelevent sport. News at 11.
Do you realise how big boxing is on a global stage? To say it's "soon-to-be-irrelevant" is a complete fallacy, but I know why you say that. You're a typical MMA/wrestling fan who is blinkered by the US media.

Again, you need to actually look into these things to help yourself from looking ignorant. Do yourself a favour and find out how popular Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, Manny Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, Israel Vazquez, Edwin Valero, Nikolai Valuev, Tomasz Adamek, Anthony Mundine and so on, are. They are all massively popular and watched by millions.

Name me one sport, other than football or cricket, which is more globally popular than boxing.

Guest Jack
I agree that he's been pretty over-hyped. I'm not being all patriotic now but seriously Ireland has some of the best young and current boxers in the world at the moment. John Duddy, Andy Lee, Bernard Dunne (world champion), Kenny Egan (olympic silver medalist), Katie Taylor (world champion), Darren Sutherland (future Tyson), Paddy Barnes.

All these great great boxers do get hyped up by the media in Ireland but no-where near the hyping up the English boxers like Khan or Hatton get by the English media.

Just look at Englands Soccer World Cup in 2002 for over hyping madness.

Ben Dunne has a glass jaw, Andy Lee got beat by a journeyman and John Duddy just lost to a guy who has an 19-7 record. Do you remember how he got his face turned into a mess by the no-hoper Schimet?

All those boxers are B-class at the very best. I think Lee will end up B-class, but the rest won't amount to anything.

Khan was overhyped, yes, but Hatton? Beating Kostya Tszyu to become lineal world champion which he has defended against the best opposition for years, does not mean he is overhyped. If he was overhyped, he wouldn't have been such little chance.

Fair enough, it's no suprise he lost, but sh*t? Yeah, I think someone needs to learn a thing or two about boxing.

Do you realise how big boxing is on a global stage? To say it's "soon-to-be-irrelevant" is a complete fallacy, but I know why you say that. You're a typical MMA/wrestling fan who is blinkered by the US media.

Again, you need to actually look into these things to help yourself from looking ignorant. Do yourself a favour and find out how popular Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, Manny Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, Israel Vazquez, Edwin Valero, Nikolai Valuev, Tomasz Adamek, Anthony Mundine and so on, are. They are all massively popular and watched by millions.

Name me one sport, other than football or cricket, which is more globally popular than boxing.

Also, Mitch, you should probably take a look into buyrates. A big time prize fight is still king of the pay-per-view arena.

As for Hatton, he was only overhyped in the build-up to his fight with Mayweather. People (I'm looking at you, British boxing fans) were bathing in his special brew of kool-aid. Those few months were the only times when I saw him mentioned alongside the elite of the elite, and Floyd aptly ended all of that talk.

I expected this fight to be closer. I thought it'd take longer for Pac to fight off Ricky's domineering style and light him up...but how wrong was I? We just saw the definition of a dynamo run through a man that, as of late, has fought and beat some quality competition. But he's not on this level. I saw someone make the claim that the Oscar that Manny beat would beat Hatton today...and I have to agree.

The second Ricky got hit, making Freddie Roach look like something of a sage, he reverted RIGHT back to his old style. I literally saw him lunge forward with his arms open to try and initiate a clinch, only for Manny to light him up with a two-piece.

Now, we have to wait for Floyd v Manny, a fight in which PBF will win and retire.......again.

Guest Drake
Now, we have to wait for Floyd v Manny, a fight in which PBF will win and retire.......again.

You think? I mean, Floyd's been away for almost 2 years! And to face Manny, at his current form?

Guest Jack
Also, Mitch, you should probably take a look into buyrates. A big time prize fight is still king of the pay-per-view arena.
Yeah. I'm just taking America out of the equation, because I know that's all he is thinking about, because he's blinkered, but it's not een like the sport is really weak there. CBS, ESPN, Time magazine have all featured boxing recently and you can't get much bigger than that. Mainstream exposure is up, PPV numbers are up and attendances are also up.

Basketball, golf, F1, athletics and tennis are, I would say, more popular around the globe than boxing.

Guest Jack
Basketball, golf, F1, athletics and tennis are, I would say, more popular around the globe than boxing.
Possibly athletics, because of the African nations, but that's it. Golf, F1 and, to a certain extent, tennis are still elitist sports. I don't think basketball is globally huge.

You think? I mean, Floyd's been away for almost 2 years! And to face Manny, at his current form?
Apparently Pacquiao might face your boy Cotto next. That would be awesome.

Guest The GS
Ben Dunne has a glass jaw, Andy Lee got beat by a journeyman and John Duddy just lost to a guy who has an 19-7 record. Do you remember how he got his face turned into a mess by the no-hoper Schimet?

All those boxers are B-class at the very best. I think Lee will end up B-class, but the rest won't amount to anything.

Khan was overhyped, yes, but Hatton? Beating Kostya Tszyu to become lineal world champion which he has defended against the best opposition for years, does not mean he is overhyped. If he was overhyped, he wouldn't have been such little chance.

It's Bernard Dunne, not Ben Dunne:xyx And every boxer has faults, but he's World Champion and you can't argue with that. Andy Lee's loss if you remember was controversial because he was winning on points but the ref stopped the fight when really Lee could've continued.

You saying Hatton wasn't overhyped. English fans were saying he was the best boxer ever. But now you gotta remember that he lost 2 fights by KO which he personally expected to win.

EDIT: And are you sticking your neck out by saying that the following won't amount to anything?:

Kenny Egan (olympic silver medalist), Katie Taylor (world champion), Darren Sutherland (His promoter who is Eubanks former promoter has said he is the most exciting young talent he has EVER SEEN) and Paddy Barnes.

Edited by The GS

Possibly athletics, because of the African nations, but that's it. Golf, F1 and, to a certain extent, tennis are still elitist sports. I don't think basketball is globally huge.
Are we talking about participation or fanbases? If it's the latter, then the sports themselves may be elitist to enter, but not to follow.

Basketball is a monster of a sport around the world. The US, obviously, Mainland Europe and China are all huge basketball followers.

I think Cotto is the more realistic fight, as, despite the fact that Floyd has fought a who's who of rivals, he's always made smart decisions when it came to opponents. There was talk of a Mosley fight, and that all disappeared the second Shane showed he wasn't washed up. Cotto or Shane v Pac is probably more likely.

The only fighter Manny has fought who mastered defense and counter-punching to a near PBF level was JMM, and he gave him fits. Floyd is probably the best defensive fighter of all time, and aside from the first Castillo fight, hasn't endured any semblance of punishment. I think it'd be fair to say he's as young a 32 as imaginable. He's bigger than Manny, a better defensive fighter, and probably just as fast. Realistically, Manny's career started at 122 (he turned pro at 16 and was forced up in weight as he continued to grow). Like Manny, Floyd is naturally smaller than Welterweights and is more than likely best suited for 140.

I'd have to see JMM give Floyd problems before giving Manny a chance.

Guest Drake

Apparently Pacquiao might face your boy Cotto next. That would be awesome.

That would indeed be all kinds of awesomeness. I would cream my pants if the fight happened.

Hell, the future prospects of Manny vs. Cotto, Manny vs. Floyd and Cotto vs. Floyd are mouth watering.

I forgot Cotto was with Top Rank, too. It'll be interesting, then. Between them, Arum and Oscar have a vice-grip on the sport from 140-154 with Cotto, Mosley, Floyd, Marquez, and Manny. The moves between them might prevent the match we all want to see from happening.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Anthony Mundine and so on, are. They are all massively popular and watched by millions.

Mundine...isnt exactly popular, he's the biggest heel in the country in terms of sport, actually, but he is a big draw so I suppose thats what you're getting at anyway.

Makes you wonder how Haye will do with Klitschko?

I personally believe Klistchko will kill him.

Both are big punchers with cheddar chins. Wlad is rivaled only by Lennox in terms of big-man boxing skills, but has responded very poorly to pressure in the past.

I would say if Haye can't get the job done early Wlad will knock him out, but Wlad may very well punch himself out like what he did against Purity and Brewster and be finished after a second onslaught.

If the fight goes the distance, I'll be more than shocked. Neither of them have the chin to withstand the other for 12 rounds.

Guest The GS
The heavyweight division has gotten so boring and has lost it's class over the last few years.