Fan Clubs | beta

Films that should have had a lot LESS praise/did better than deserved

Paul

A reverse on Saz' thread, what films made money or get raved about, either by reviewers or just your friends, despite not deserving the praise?

We will take nominations and then vote it down to the top 10 most over-rated films. :D

I nominate Freddy Got Fingered (why do people still think its funny?) and Napoleon Dynamite. Ugh.

Oh, and Twilight (decent, but not great).

Nominated:

Freddy Got Fingered

Napoleon Dynamite.

Twilight

LOTR1

LOTR2

LOTR3

Austin Powers

Powers SWSM

Powers Goldmember

Click

The Longest Yard

Green Street

This is England

Saving Private Ryan

The Wrestler

The Godfather

Citizen Kane

Harry Potter (all of them)

7 pounds

The Shining

2001 Space Odyssey

Sweeny Todd

Dogma

Donnie Darko

Big Fish

Anchorman

AKIRA

Knocked Up

Star Trek (new one)

Tarentino

Kevin Smith

Superbad

Saw

Juno

Godfather

The Crow

Tropic Thunder

Hot Rod

Trainspotting

Rocky

Cabin Fever

Usual suspects

Round 2:

Freddy Got Fingered

Click

This Is England.

The Godfather

The Harry Potter Series

Sweeny Todd (Mr Depp).

Big Fish

Anchorman

Star Trek (the new one)

Edited by Paul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The GS

I thought the 2 Adam Sandler films "Click" and "The Longest Yard" were way overrated.

Also, "Green Street" is way too popular with people. It's just not a very good film.

"This is England" was also a huge let down. I watched it because it was talked about a lot by people. The first 10-20 mins were good but then after that it was just rubbish.

Guest Evil Monkey
Lord Of The Rings...all of 'em

This. Simple.

Oh and, 7 Pounds - a lot of people loved this film, I absolutely detested it.

Guest John Hancock

Totally with DC on Citizen Kane. Such over rated, Emperor's New Clothes rubbish.

For me, The Shining and 2001 Space Odyssey. As DC said, good, but not as good as people say they are.

Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd remake. Absolutely guff, the single worst flick I've seen in a long time. Never, EVER let Johnny Depp sing in public or on film again.

2001 Space Odyssey.
This, to me, is a painting that moves from time to time. The scenes with HAL are both terrifying and touching, especially the end, but that isn't enough to save the entire running time.

Guest Laffy
Dogma absoulutely dreadful film, Donnie Darko do not get this film at all. The only other film that everyone seems to love but i walked out have way through and have never watched it since is Big Fish.

Loved Dogma... but I'm not tied up in the whole "thou shalt not rip the piss out of the bible" thing that the catholic church tried to paint it with

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Love the guy at about 0.30 "I dunno what it stands for but I've been told not good" :)

Anchorman. I've heard all the quotes over and over again, and I've seen the movie a couple of times. Just doesn't live up to the hype at all to me, give or take a couple of moments most usually including Steve Carrell. Other than that, a total "just another movie".

Love the guy at about 0.30 "I dunno what it stands for but I've been told not good" :)
I love the woman at around 1:00 who goes on about Muslims and Jews before comparing it to a Holocaust denial.

Way to over-react there, missy. :lol

Guest Anime Otaku

Dogma, infact all the view askew-niverse movies are awesomeness in film form.

I think AKIRA is overrated, and having watched the GITS: SAC TV show again recently I'd actually have to agree that the original GITS is a bit overrated too. Not as much as AKIRA though. Also pretty much anything Spielberg has done recently tends to sell on his name rather than it's own merits.

And yes, I have had it pointed out to me that that guy IS Kevin Smith. I knew that ;)