Fan Clubs | beta

Films that should have had a lot LESS praise/did better than deserved

Paul

Guest John Hancock

I actually think quite a lot of Japanese stuff is over rated. Not even films, just, in general, the nation of Japan is over rated. Like, anything coming out of Japan seems to get a extra star, just because it's from Japan.

Cartoons

Comics

Music

Horror films

Wrestlers

Women

Philosophy

Religion

Technology

I mean, there are excellent Japanese things from each of those categories, but there's no more than in relation to the U.K., or America, or anywhere else with a big entertainment industry. I think kinda links into the "Oooooh mysterious Orient!" uber-patronising, reverse racism stuff that makes people laugh at Christianity, but take Buddhism super seriously.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith stuff can be over rated (JSBSB? Jersey Girl? Zack & Miri?) but when he's on the money, he's shit hot. Clerks, Clerks II and Chasing Amy prove that.

I dig that he's not every cat's cup of tea, but I think he's a modern day genius. He uses all forms of media like no other director out there, from the SModcasts, to twitter, to the Askewniverse site, even to his Q&A.

Peeps are free to think what they want though :)

And I agree about Tarantion post Pulp Fiction.

Guest The GS
Japan, Tarantino, Kevin Smith and anything with Ben Stiller and/or Will Ferrell is overrated as a rule, in my opinion.

Ben Stiller is a genius in my opinion. Zoolander is 1 of the best films ever I believe.

Adam Sandler is a person who's extremely over-rated in my opinion.

I have to agree with John Hancock in regards to the Japan "aura", particulalry when it comes to J-Horror. Sure, the films are good, but they're basically the same story over and over in a different setting.

Guest ajkennedy
The new star trek film wasn't that great at all. How many times does he hand of the edge of something or cheat death. It just got stupid. And how did they avoid that Black Hole, with just an extra boost? It's a freiking black hole it sucks up light a space ship with a boost isn't going to help. Also the red matter or what ever it is made me laugh where they had a huge ball of it and he takes a tiny piece of it to destroy a planet.

Guest Jayfunk
This, to me, is a painting that moves from time to time. The scenes with HAL are both terrifying and touching, especially the end, but that isn't enough to save the entire running time.

i loved 2001 one of my all time favourites from a great film maker and my favourite writer and given the fact that it was made in the 60s its nothing short of amazing imho

The new star trek film wasn't that great at all. How many times does he hand of the edge of something or cheat death. It just got stupid. And how did they avoid that Black Hole, with just an extra boost? It's a freiking black hole it sucks up light a space ship with a boost isn't going to help. Also the red matter or what ever it is made me laugh where they had a huge ball of it and he takes a tiny piece of it to destroy a planet.
Not having seen the movie, so not knowing all the "facts", I can only assume that they used the warp-drives, which allow the ship to go faster than the speed of light, thus, theoretically, being able to outrun the gravitational pull of a Black Hole.
i loved 2001 one of my all time favourites from a great film maker and my favourite writer and given the fact that it was made in the 60s its nothing short of amazing imho
What does it being made in the 60s have to do with how good or bad it is? There were a ton of great movies made in the 60s.

Guest Beefhead
Definitely Pulp Fiction, did not think this was a great film, Id hardly say it was a good film. Since it wasnt really a bad film though, Ill SETTLE for good.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Napoleon Dynamite, Juno and Superbad would be my nominations.

Just didn't like any of them despite everyone raving about how great they were, after each of them I just sat there thinking and the hype was about what exactly?

Guest Chriscare

OMG, I can't believe what I'm reading? What's wrong with some of you people.

The Wrestler, Godfather, Sweeny Todd, Anchorman (The only film thats come close to being as funny and rewatchable in the past 5 years is Hot Rod), Ben Stiller (Zoolander, Dodgeball and to a lesser extent Tropic Thunder all hillarious) Japan in general (oh come on, Japans film industry is massive compared to the UK, there films are miles better than ours, sure they're not all brilliant, but the ones you hear about are like the incredible Vengeance trilogy WTF? have we got? Notting Hill?), PULP FICTION? oh dear god,

I agree with NE though, Napoleon Dynamite, Juno and Superbad although I do like them all I've heard people claim each of them to be the funniest film they've ever seen, I can only assume they've not seen that many good comedies. (Naked Gun, and the afformentioned Anchorman, Hot Rod and Zoolander would be mine)

rant over.

Oh, and Adam Sandler films aren't overated, I'm pretty sure they're not rated at all (except Happy Gilmore, but I can except if you don't like that *** Adam Sandlers is pretty annoying)

PS. I also agree with whoever picked the Saw films, they're the most overated crap I can think of, I'm not even sure why I've bothered to watch 4 of them, stupid friends and their stupid bad tastes is all I can put that down to, the first was a reasonably ok concept and an ok film, the rest, well i kinda felt more hardcore than the people who surivived the stuff as I survived they're terrible acting and plot.

Edited by Chriscare

Guest Jayfunk
Maybe he's hinting that it was ahead of it's time.

And maybe it was. I never saw it.

spot on mitch consider on the small screen you had star trek and compare the graphics and then consider it wasn't match for another decade i would say for that reason it was a classsic, its kick ass story also made it rule

Guest Dante Spears
Oh yeah that reminds me. I add Adam Sandler films (with the possible exception of Mr. Deeds) and Will Ferrel films films to my list of over rated movies.

the incredible Vengeance trilogy WTF? have we got? Notting Hill?),
Way to give a balanced comparison there, Chris. How about comparing the Vengeance Trilogy to Dead Man's Shoes, Dog Soldiers, Get Carter, Mona Lisa, Zulu, The Long Good Friday, 28 Days Later, Ealing comedies, Hammer horrors, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, The Commitments, The Wicker Man, Shaun of the Dead, etc.

Guest Chriscare
Way to give a balanced comparison there, Chris. How about comparing the Vengeance Trilogy to Dead Man's Shoes, Dog Soldiers, Get Carter, Mona Lisa, Zulu, The Long Good Friday, 28 Days Later, Ealing comedies, Hammer horrors, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, The Commitments, The Wicker Man, Shaun of the Dead, etc.

erm ok, well out of the ones that it can possibly be compared to out of those, I'd say Oldboy is certainly better than them all, DMS would give the other two a run for there money.

Dog soldiers made me embarassed to be british.

My point was meant to be, Britain maybe gets out 1 decent film every 2 years, whereas Japan hammer them out pretty regular, as it's massive, its bound to.

Edited by Chriscare