Fan Clubs | beta

The Dark Knight Rises (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

DC

Don't get that at all. In fact many would agree Eckhart got really overlooked considering how well he performed in the movie.

well I thought they were both pretty bad, even Bale wasn't as good in this one as BB

..introduced her? Like in BB?

yeah, I remember when BB came out everyone I knew was up in arms that an original character had been introduced and the studio were adamant they wanted to keep the character. TDK just seems to piss all over that by saying 'yeah you were right, like kill her off as a cheap plot point so we can squeeze two face into the movie'

It made sense that (given the story of how the Joker was trying to play with them) one of Batman, Dent & Gordon would die.

Oh yeah I know it was bound to happen, but the transformation into two-face and then dying was too fast. They should have shown Dent losing his mind and then either shown him become two-face right at the end of the film, or waited until the third one, therefore being able to devote a whole film to how Batman/Bruce Wayne has to try and deal with the fact that the citys 'white knight' has done a 180 turn.

The fact I know at least 5-10 girls who loved it, is a testament to how it wasn't just a 'decent action flick' and it was a good movie overall at very worst.

Truly bad? Seriously cut that shit out and take a step back.

good movie, I've already said that, sh*t batman movie. That's how I see it, simple as.

I'm aware there was a few select people (Belty hated it aswell from what I remember) who did not care for it but you're trying to talk for the majority with the way you're wording it all here and I'm sorry, for the majority it was the best movie of 2008.

If I appear I'm trying to talk to the majority then I apologise, just trying to put my personal opinions across.

Now you know how I feel about a series of movies which I found deeply flawed (Lord of the Rings.) There will always be fanboys and people who adore a movie far too much than it merits. Your problem is you seem to using that as a negative against the movie. You have to let that slide.

as i've already said, I think the action is great, and the end bit where they're chasing batman is cool, the rest of the film is just boring for me, i can't get excited about any of the scenes in it.

Well that just confirms you're a fanboy.

I fail to see where the problem is. Yeah I love comics, so why should I love a comic adaptation just because I love comics. I'm sure if you asked a die-hard Asimov fan if he liked I-robot you wouldn't get a very warm response.

If you expect every movie adaption of a comic book or video game to be tightly knitted to the source material, you're going to be hard pressed to find many of them any good.

the two punisher films have done alright, as did Ghost Rider. In fact, Punisher:Warzone, by a massive margin, my favourite comic book adaption, simply because it did stick close to the source material.

I'm not saying it's not nice when a director does pay attention to the small minority who made the comic book popular but they're making movie to make money and gain recognition.

To hell with the fanboys, this is a business aswell you know.

yep, fair enough it is a business, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if you asked a die-hard Asimov fan if he liked I-robot you wouldn't get a very warm response.

I loved it, and I love Asimovs stuff. OK more the Foundation stuff rather than the Robots but still...

• 4 weeks later...

Some interesting comments from Chris Nolan in regards to both the upcoming Superman movie and the third installment in the current Batman franchise.

Nolan talks Superman and Batman 3

“It’s very exciting, we have a fantastic story”

Mar 11th 2010 7:07AM

BY Josh Winning

Good news, everyone! No, sorry, nothing Futurama related, we just had a feeling and went with it.

So, reports of Christopher Nolan’s involvement in the being-written Superman movie, rumoured to be titled Man Of Steel (yes, it’s still a rumour), were denied by DC Entertainment a few weeks back. But now Nolan himself has confirmed that go-to comic book geek David Goyer is currently writing the script based on a story idea cracked by the duo.

Nolan tells The LA Times that Goyer pitched him a few Superman movie ideas when they were stuck for where to take Batman 3.

Says he:

“It’s very exciting, we have a fantastic story. And we feel we can do it right. We know the milieu, if you will, we know the genre and how to get it done right…[it] is a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting.

“I wanted to get [producer and wife] Emma and I involved in shepherding the project right away and getting it to the studio and getting it going in an exciting way.

“We’re approaching it in a not dissimilar way [to the Batman films] in terms of trying to find an incredible story in a way that audiences can engage with it the way they engage with contemporary action films.”

Nolan wouldn’t confirm if he was tempted to take Superman on as a directing gig. But seeing as Richard Donner’s original film is what got him interested in Batman, we bet his palms are feeling a little itchy for the super-camera.

Meanwhile, brother Jonathan Nolan is “now doing hard work” on the Batman 3 script, working from a story idea broken by Chris and Goyer. And it looks like it’s a trilogy closer. Says Chris:

“The key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story. And in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story…

“I’m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters. My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these thing don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful.

“Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling.

But even if Chris Nolan now has his fingers in two comic book franchise pies, don’t expect anything like a Bat/Supes crossover. “Each serves to the internal logic of the story,” he says. “They have nothing to do with each other.”

Credit: Total Film

Guest John Hancock

If it's the Riddler, I'd go with David Hyde Pierce to play him. But, one film isn't enough for the Riddler. I'd do it with him starting off in prison, reluctantly helping Batman against someone else (The Black Mask if I had my way) from behind bars, and then he gets out at the end of the film, and the next one is Batman VS The Riddler.

I also wouldn't do any of the stuff about making him some evil genuis, or a clever megalomanic. I'd actually write him as an exaggerated high functioning autistic, who's pretty "Rainman"-y with his craziness, but just has an amazing eye for patterns, and maths, and puzzles and some such.

I'd rather they did someone that hasn't been done before on film. I know that cuts down the list, but it's gonna get pretty samey if they rehash the same characters again.

Killer croc is an option, although I don't think he fits with the more realistic tone of the last two.

Guest John Hancock
I'd say the best option within the new, more realistic Batman world for a new villain is Black Mask. Killer Croc's WAY too out there for the way Nolan's presenting Batman.

With Killer Croc, the only way they could do it in Nolan's world, IMO, is for Waylon Jones to have a skin disease that leaves him with a texture along the same lines as a reptile (a real-world condition - the teeth can easily be a prosthetic he wears to give an aura of terror) and just be this massive human being (he was locked away, due to family shame, so all he could do was work out... or some other easily explained reason for his size).

He turned to crime, either out of not knowing any better (due to his upbringing) or to get back at a world that laughed at him as a child.

Personally, villain-wise, I'd love Bane done by Nolan, but, like the above mentioned Riddler situation, he'd need to be done over at least two movies.

i'd actually love to see bane done properly, but of course that means breaking batmans back, and then there's the whole replacement story arc they'd have to write in.

as for killer croc, I think the skin disease thing is probably the best way to go for the films, but it just wouldnt look right i dont think.

Yeah I really do think any actor will struggle out-do Carrey's performance as the Riddler.

Batman Forever might not be the best Batman movie ever or anything but Carrey was incredibly dark in that film.

That's not saying Johnny Depp etc couldn't do as good a job but I thought the character in the movie was spot on and if they changed it, I doubt I'd give a toss.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Mr%20Freeze%20Batman%20forever/stephenbignall/mr_freeze_si_diverte.jpg

Ice to know there is redeemable quality of that movie

Don't think you need to work to any specific story arc. The only reason they would need to do that is to appease the fans of the comics. Whilst any Batman film is made with them in mind they are certainly in the minority of people who will actully go and see the movie at the cinema. Whilst having Bane break Batmans back may have fan boys creaming their knickers its likely to have Joe Bloggs scratching his head.

I'd personally go with Penguin for the next film, think he fits Nolans vision of the Batman world.

yeah but not having bane breaking batmans back is like having the green goblin not kill gwen stacey... oh yeah I see your point!

they could always have bane 'seriously injure' batman, but without it being his back it would just seem underdone!

Oh yes if they were to do Bane then there is no point in having him unless he's going to dominate and injure Batman.

But i do think that The Riddler or The Penguin would be a better fit for Nolans mob run Gotham.

Oh yes if they were to do Bane then there is no point in having him unless he's going to dominate and injure Batman.

But i do think that The Riddler or The Penguin would be a better fit for Nolans mob run Gotham.

With that scenario, Bane could be a hired gun, brought in by the desperate criminal organisations to take out Batman for good.

Guest John Hancock
That sounds like it would be a better role for someone like Deadshot... or maybe even Hush, neither of who have appeared in the films.

With that scenario, Bane could be a hired gun, brought in by the desperate criminal organisations to take out Batman for good.

that just sounds too like Batman & Robin though, Bane is more than just a hired thug, he's more intelligent than that.

That sounds like it would be a better role for someone like Deadshot... or maybe even Hush, neither of who have appeared in the films.

Hush has a far too complicated back story though, especially considering Robin hasn't even been introduced yet.

Guest Sparrow

Hush has a far too complicated back story though, especially considering Robin hasn't even been introduced yet.

With Hush there, we could get Riddler. Even have the Scarecrow back.

To do Knightfall properly then surely they'd need something about Azrael to introduce Jean-Paul Valley and the Order of Dumas and stuff?

Now a decent Savage Sword of Azrael film to introduce him (or even an animated DVD release like Watchmen) would be cool.

People are getting far too bogged down in a single Bane storyline (OK, the best, but still...). Its not a difficult character in terms of doing an origin storyline for. Mind, anyone could do better than the last filmed version. *shudder*