Fan Clubs (beta)

The Avengers

DC

Guest Phil
Because the studio believed that we silly British people will get it confused with the 60's show starring Emma Peel and later on the terrible film starring Uma Thurman.

True story.

Actually, from what I've read, it's not that we Brits are silly and wil get confused, but more that the name The Avengers is still licensed to whoever made the film based on the 60s TV show, so it's a legal issue, rather than the British public being morons.

Or so I've read. It could equally be the reason you stated.

Either way, I really want to see this film, but I'm not paying £10 to see it in a cinema where I know some chavvy c*nt will spoil it for me by messing about on their phone. I'll give it a couple of weeks and wait for it to die down.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil

as above, went to see it tonight and really enjoyed it. A couple of grumbles, but thats because I'm a comic nerd, nothing that really spoilt the film.

Also watch Xmen:first class yesterday and thought it was pretty rubbish. A couple of decent moments, but overall a bit poor.

Guest Hanahbananabob
Watched Avengers Assemble this afternoon, really enjoyed it :) I've not actually seen Iron Man, Thor or any of the other films about the characters, but I still enjoyed it :P Can't wait for the new Spider-Man film now :D

Guest Phil
Join the club bro. I thought they could have done much more with the Captain's character as I am a big CA fan. But nevertheless, absolutely loved the Hulk's character part. He just beat the crap out of our super villain. :lol

apparently they cut over 30 minutes of footage from the film, mostly involving Captain America, so it'll be good to see what was cut when the DVD comes out.

Overall I thought it was really good, the first time they've really got the Hulk right for me, but it was stupid stuff that annoyed me, like Thor calling Earth 'Earth' and not 'Midguard'. Sounds really pedantic and nitpicky, but it's just one of those little touches that I like to see.

Guest Phil

Sebastian Shaw kills Magnetos mum right in front of him and, in response, Magneto kills two guards and ****s up everything in the room but fails to kill Sebastian Shaw?! No jokes the rest of the film just made no sense to me after that, the whole point of the film was a contrived mess.

Yeah I'm really picky, but X-Men was so inconsistent and riddled with stupid characters and bad plotting that it really felt like the last death groan of a dying franchise.

For the record, I loved the Avengers, and would happily watch it again.

Those of you that have watched Avengers, did you watch the 2D or 3D version?

Oh and I loved X-Men First Class, I thought it was excellent.

From the BBC News website:

Avengers smashes US box office record

The Avengers superhero movie has smashed the record for the biggest US opening weekend, taking $200m (£123m), early figures show.

The previous best opening weekend was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which opened in July 2011 with $169m (£104m).

The Disney film was called Marvel Avengers Assemble for its UK release.

Included in the top five of biggest openers are The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3.

The Dark Knight, starring Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader, took $158m (£97m) in its opening weekend in 2008, while Spider-Man 3 took $151m (£93m).

Both superheroes will once again be seen on screen during the summer.

The Avengers, directed by Joss Whedon, failed to beat the final Harry Potter's first day takings record of $91m (£56m) but surpassed it over the following two days.

No other big films dared go up against it, with only the British film The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel being released on the same day.

The Avengers has so far taken $641m (£396m) worldwide.

Edited by Kam

Was bound to happen, an amalgamation of, with the exception of Spiderman, most of Marvels most popular and mainstream heroes.

I really enjoyed it in 2D, may see it again on Saturday but actually in the cinema, but I'm really waiting for 2 films this year, The Amazing Spiderman and The Watch

I watched Avengers in 2D because my girlfriend gets mad motion sickness in 3D movies for some reason? (Seriously, the bit where they're running across the brooklyn bridge in Cloverfield made her throw up in the cinema :lol )

The only film where I absolutely have to see it in 3D is probably gonna be the new Spiderman film. I saw the trailer on my buddy's new spangly 3D TV and that was impressive, so I've got high hopes for it on the big screen.

Guest Phil
yeah watched it in 2d too, I've seen 3 films in 3d and I don't think I gained anything by watching them in 3d. I doub I'll watch another film in 3d. To be honest I don't think there's another film coming out this year that'll convince me to go back to the cinema. Not even spiderman, and spidermans my favourite comic character of all time.

Guest Phil

Ok, so for anyone who hasn't seen the film yet I'm giving you the chance to look away now, as I'm going to post some spoilerific stuff that will ruin the film. Look away!!!!

So we all know Thanos is revealed at the end of The Avengers, what I didn't realise until today was that the Infinity Gauntlet was revealed in Thor. http://www.10mfh.com/random-news/infinity-gauntlet-thor/ The pictures are pretty squiffy and apparently it lasts about a second in the film but it's definitely there.

interesting set up for Thor 2 at least, if not avengers 2. Would be interesting to know if it's complete, or whether the Infinity Gems are scattered around the Universe.

That would be an awesome way to...

...have a cameo with the Illuminati. They can be the gems bearers. Almost every member has been depicted in the recent slew of films, plus we'd get a live action Doctor Strange. You gotta admit that it'd be pretty cool.

Guest Phil

we haven't seen Dr Strange, Black Bolt, Namor or Professor X in the Marvel Universe films, so the Illuminati is unlikely.

However, I read somewhere that, also in the treasure chamber on Asgard, something that looks vaguely like the eye of Agamotto can be seen, so a Dr Strange film could be a possibility.

I like the idea of the Asgardians being the keeper of the gauntlet, Thanos appears in Thor 2 and steals it, then Thor has to warn the Avengers of its power, and that sets up the Avengers. Not sure how Cap 2 and Iron Man 3 would fit in around that, but that's what the writers are paid to do.

Edited by Kam

Guest Anime Otaku
Depends on the schedule for Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2. If they're first obviously there's no conflict or they could have the movies be going on at the same time so Tony Stark's stuck in NYC and Cap is in the area he hangs out in so they're too busy to deal with anything else or too far away (assuming Thor 2 happens in New Mexico) to help.

Guest Phil
As long as they don't rush it, Cap 2 could deal with the Winter soldier. They already have all the parts in place so it's not beyond the realms. With the Hulk supposedly going to be a TV show and not another film they could have Banner leave the team and have Winter Soldier replace him. Iron Man 3 can take its pick from any villain it wants, I'm not too fussed.