Fan Clubs | beta

Blockbusters That Deserved To Flop

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell me DC that you as a movie aficionado would put John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Jeff Goldblum on the same plain. The first two are head and shoulders above Jeff Goldblum on every level.
Show me where I said they were on the same level. What I said was that playing themselves in almost every movie they made (even as a Roman soldier, Wayne was just the cowboy we all know and love) didn't do them any harm. I never compared their CVs, I never compared their star power, I never compared their standing in the Hollywood food chain. All I did was say that they were all guilty (if that's the right word) of playing the same style of character in most of what they did. And there's nothing wrong with that if the films are enjoyable anyway.

Oh, and for the record, John Wayne was a horrible actor. A great movie star, but far, far from great movie actor.

Edited by DC

I guess Connery is also in the "plays himself only" team.

I yama rushan Captain

I yama Schecret Agent

I yama guy in weird panstch that showsh hish boner to a bird...

Did you even read the rest of the thread?

Yeah, I did. I just don't think they're better than John Wayne as actors. They're easier to like, and I prefer both to John Wayne, but the defining thing about being an actor is playing somebody who is not you. The more convincing you are, the better an actor you are. By that measure, surely they're all equally bad as actors?

Although, having said that, Eastwood and Goldblum have shown more sides to themselves in their movies than Wayne did so, if that counts, then they're better.

Edited by etz

Eastwood is a massivly under-rated actor. His emoting and facials are excellent, far better than John Wayne (and I like the odd JW movie :lol). Goldblum... he's OK but sometimes he seems to be coasting in his career.

Assuming that you're ok with them always playing themselves, then Eastwood is easily the most adroit of the lot. He's also probably the best at selecting roles where the character is basically Clint Eastwood as (insert description here)

I guess Connery is also in the "plays himself only" team.

I yama rushan Captain

I yama Schecret Agent

I yama guy in weird panstch that showsh hish boner to a bird...

You forgot about Spanish Immortal Juan Sanchez Ramirez...:roll

I didn't even realise until about 3 years ago that he's supposed to be Spanish in Highlander. Good grief.

You forgot about Spanish Immortal Juan Sanchez Ramirez...:roll

I didn't even realise until about 3 years ago that he's supposed to be Spanish in Highlander. Good grief.

Sorry to be picky, but he's an Egyption in that film. He just happened to have been in Spain in his most recent years. :lol