Fan Clubs (beta)

Superman: The Man of Steel - Snyder! Nolan! ZOD!!!

DC

Heat Vision are reporting that Viggo Mortensen is the one both Snyder and Nolan want to take on the role of General Zod, with Costner being their choice for Jonathan Kent.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the (admittedly tenuous) likeness between Costner and John Schneider.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In more casting news, the role of Martha Kent has gone to Diane Lane, a lady I've had a bit of thing for ever since I saw her in Judge Dredd. Here's a pic to "judge" for yourself. (Did you see what I do there?)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2a5x8hv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin Costner has been officially signed up to play Jonathan Kent in the movie, while director Zack Snyder has been telling Hero Complex that he's making this movie as if no other Superman movie has been made.

To be honest, that's not a surprise as Chris Nolan did the same thing with Batman and, as the guiding hand on the reboot, he's probably influenced Snyder to do the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the movie is now officially known as The Man of Steel and, in even more exciting news, we have a Zod.

http://i52.tinypic.com/b7i5x5.jpg

Michael Shannon, best known currentlyfor his role as Federal Agent Nelson Van Alden in Boardwalk Empire (he has also featured in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Groundhog Day, Tigerland, Bad Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Vanilla Sky, Pearl Harbor, 8 Mile, The Woodsman, Revolutionary Road and The Runaways).

He joins Henry Cavill as Superman and Amy Adams as Lois Lane in the principal cast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It's been quite on the Superman front recently, but Variety have another casting update, this time reporting that Russell Crowe is talking with the studio regarding the role of Jor-El.

• 1 month later...

As if the cast of this film wasn't awesome enough -

• Henry Cavill - Superman/Kal-El/Clark Kent
  • Amy Adams - Lois Lane
  • Kevin Costner - Jonathan Kent
  • Diane Lane - Martha Kent
  • Michael Shannon - General Zod
  • Russell Crowe - Jor-El
  • Julia Ormond - Lara Lor-Van (Kal-El's mother)
  • Christopher Meloni - General Lane (Lois' father)

- another character has been given life as Perry White (according to the LA Times) is going to portrayed by Laurence Fishburne.

If Snyder can make a film that matches up to the calibre of his main cast, this could be something seriously special.

OK, that came out of left field. Yo, comic book geeks, has Perry ever been shown as a black man in any continuity?
According to the story in the LA Times and subsequent articles in Total Film, Empire, AICN, etc, he has only ever been a white man in all comics, cartoons and films.

At the moment, the messages boards on the sites I've mentioned are blowing up with both sides of the "Oh, but he's black" argument.

One guy on AICN has been ranting about "where will it end" and commenting that Black Panther and Luke Cage will be played by white guys next, while a little further down, the casting of Pete Ross in Smallville has started to take the hits.

Another post has the frankly awesome retort of - "I gave Snyder the benefit of the doubt. I gave a British Superman a pass. But, really? Is it that hard to have some simple parity? They might as well cast an Indian Lois Lane and an East Asian Lex Luthor."

Still they keep coming - "Let's make Captain Kirk black! Who cares! Whatever. We're movie studios and we have our heads up our asses!"

"Lois Lane will now be played by Beyonce and Jimmy Olsen will be played by Chris Tucker."

Edited by DC

Funny thing about Perry White.....his race doesn't really matter, despite his name. It's just not the same thing as having an actual hero change race. Superman, like Captain America needs to be white because of all the crap that he embodies.

But I really wouldn't give a shit if Lois was black, or even if Jor-El was black (since Supes could easily be mixed-race passing for white and still embody all that crap. If anything, he'd only embody the All American crap even more if he was mixed race passing.)

But then I tend to think of skin colour as irrelevant when it's not being used for a specific purpose in fiction. In real life, it's always irrelevant when decent people have any say.

agree with previous posts, if Superman had been cast as black then there might be something to argue about, but generally it's a non issue. Same with Michael Clarke Duncan being the Kingpin, the dude's a crime boss, it really doesn't matter if he's black or not.

The only time I've had a problem with race switching is Jessica Alba being in FF, but that's because A) I hate her so was already biased and B) She's supposed to be Jonny's sister (twin maybe?), yet looks nothing like him!

Guest SuperKick Kid

First look

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/153/mainimageman20of20steel.jpg

Edited by SuperKick Kid