• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock

[YOUTUBE]rWjhxnVcmgg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xEVyDjxsUrk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sPhl1vGRyXQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2UW_3Ed6BZk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fZWG4hFt1tA[/YOUTUBE]

I don't really like sludge metal personally but, from those who do, I'm always hearing these bands being mentioned, and they always get played at clubs and bars, so I guess they must have something going for them for you crazy bearded folks.

EDIT: Bonus recommendations; Mastadon, The Melvins, Black Tusk, Bison B.C., High On Fire and Crowbar might be worth a little look, although most of them aren't strictly sludge, and flirt around with a few other genres on the side... the sluts.

Edited by John Hancock

Thanks JRock. I have a bunch of that stuff. I practicality grew up on Neurosis, I've seen Isis, Cult of Luna, and Mastodon live. EYEHATEGOD is pretty good. There are a few bands on there that I haven't heard of. I'll look into em.

As well as a few of the sluts you mentioned.

I'm so out of touch with 'popular' music these days, the charts are a mystery to me lol but then again I am 25.

But should anyone wish to get into Punk, Metal or Rock from 2001 backwards, then give me a shout as that was the year I really got into music and instead of staying relevant and checking out new bands I mainly went back in time and listened to the newer bands influences...

Turns out the guys most bands rip off and emulate are actually better, shocker I know!

Guest Anime Otaku
I'm so out of touch with 'popular' music these days, the charts are a mystery to me lol but then again I am 25.

But should anyone wish to get into Punk, Metal or Rock from 2001 backwards, then give me a shout as that was the year I really got into music and instead of staying relevant and checking out new bands I mainly went back in time and listened to the newer bands influences...

Turns out the guys most bands rip off and emulate are actually better, shocker I know!

I recommend this approach for pretty much any genre, Rap/Hip Hop in particular

Agreed, whilst I am not a huge follower of hip hop and rap I personally agree that the older records, from Run-DMC in the mid-80's through to Gangsta rap in the early to mid-90's was the peak of the genre.

I personally love early period solo Ice Cube, NWA, early Biggie and Tupac and Snoop.

Eminem, Jay-Z and Outkast is generally the limit of my modern rap/hip-hop.

Guest Anime Otaku

Although it's admittedly a massive leap between the two I find that Kanye is like Gary Glitter, I love their music but I really don't want to be giving them my cash because of what they are like as people.

Also in the Modern rap I am more of a Nas than Jay-z fan, also Gangstarr are a great group more people should know about. Also think I really should get myself some KRS-ONE.

Guest John Hancock

Other than annoying Taylor Swift (which can only be seen as a good thing as she should be interrupted in every she does until she just gives up and leaves) Kanye hasn't really done anything to warrant the amount people dislike him.

At least he pays all his employees, doesn't break international labor laws, doesn't write fake contracts to save himself money, doesn't accuse people of racism for financial gain and doesn't attempt to break voting laws by encouraging voting amongst specific minority groups using public money that's really only meant for unbiased campaigns, because he knows that that specific minority are going to vote the way he wants the to.... isn't that right Jay Z?

My line of the album is still Kanye's; "I'm always getting head, your life is Sleepy Hollow".

I laughed my a*s off at him mentioning fish sticks! :lol

It's a close run thing between Big Boi and Kanye West for my album of the year. "The Son of Chico Dusty" has got some amazing tunes on it, but the lyrics are better on Kanye's album. I can't pick between them?