Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2

Guest Frank Botch

Guest John Hancock

Good PPV I thought. What was once Josh Koscheck's eye, Struve's sweep of death, and Danzig's invisible knock-out punch all tied for my moments of the night. Poor Joe Stevenson though, boy got demolished.

I'm especially p*ssed at Josh Koscheck's face turn. If he starts trying to become nice, he's wasting himself.

Also; my predictions were pretty much for sh*t.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dusty Finish
Struve's sweep of death......moments of the night.

Quoted for truth, it was pure sex.

I was still moderately hammered from my night out in Birmingham throughout the show, but from what I recall it was a solid end to the year.

Jim Miller has well and truly put himself in the Championship mix with that showing: between he and the winners of Sotiropolous-Siver and Gomi-Guida, there's a couple of eliminators to be had for who faces whomever comes out of the Edgar/Maynard/Henderson/Pettis mix with the belt. Considering that the only GSP fight we'll likely be anticipating as a contest until he's over the hill is (if it ever happens) Anderson Silva, it's fantastic by contrast to the truly stagnant Middle & Welterweight divisions to have so much fresh blood around the 155lb title picture.

Bocek looked phenomenal, but I'm soooo gutted for my boy "McLovin". I'd say that the brutal KO he suffered at the hands of Daley is proving to be a career-curbing one. A real shame.

A real "save my spot" performance from Danzig, a la Bonnar against Soszynski. A drop to 145lbs would give him a good opportunity to keep the momentum going.

The thing is now with GSP is after Sheilds who is next?

Finch? Beat Him, Penn? Beat him twice. Really the only thing he can do is go up to middleweight but given his height I think he can do that and retain his explosiveness if he doesn't rush it.

The one thing I am really excited about though is how good the 155lb division is going to get after the WEC merger is complete in the new year. This could be as good as the Light Heavy division was when Rampage, Henderson, Lyoto and Rashad started making waves.

Guest John Hancock

In the post-fight, Dana White said he's becoming more and more open to the idea of Silva/GSP simply because, after Shields, he really has completely cleaned out the division.

Got to agree with everyone else about the lightweights. 155 is looking hot as hell right now, especially with all these WEC guys coming in.

i seriously think its gonna take a bomb rush style or a heavy hitter that will beat gsp, the same way that serra made that gigantic upset years ago

i seriously believe that after shields, the only welterweight that could beat him is a technical striker like paul daley, who i believe is the second best welterweight technical striker in the world.

Guest Rikidozan

GSP/Silva won't be happening any time soon. GSP needs to get acclimatised to fighting at 180lbs, and even then they may opt for a catch-weight unless GSP gets some middleweight fight wins before fighting Silva. Whatever happens, GSP versus Silva is a long way off yet. Next is Shields, then probably the winner of Penn/Fitch.

Like everyone else here, i'm also stoked for the lightweight, featherweight and bantamweight fights booked/about to be booked for 2011. The new year is probably going to see increased financial success for the UFC...as if StrikeForce weren't already far enough behind...

Guest Frank Botch

155 could look good in the new year but we still have to make it through Maynard/Edgar, possibly the least interesting title fight in HISTORY. I can really see Gray having a Tim Sylvia like reign of terror as champ. Hopefully Ben Henderson comes in and takes the title straight away and Edgar drops down to 145 where he might actually be able to do some damage with his strikes, instead of bouncing around for 25 minutes. Featherweight and Bantamweight are going to be great straight away though.

To keep on topic (I'll have plenty of time to disparage these guys in the 125 thread).

MONTREAL – As expected, the UFC's fourth-ever trip to Montreal's Bell Centre was a smashing success at the box office.

But it only broke one of the two records the organization hoped would fall.

According to UFC president Dana White, Saturday's "UFC 124: Koscheck vs. St-Pierre II" event drew a North American MMA record 23,152 attendees for a live gate of $4.586 million, which fell short of the worldwide MMA record.

Featuring a welterweight championship between longtime champion Georges St-Pierre and top contender and opposing "The Ultimate Fighter 12" coach Josh Koscheck, UFC 124 represented the UFC's fourth-ever trip to Montreal and the second in 2010.

Each visit has been a lucrative venture, beginning with "UFC 83: St-Pierre vs. Serra II," which netted the company 21,390 attendees and a live gate of $5.1 million.

UFC 83 held the North American attendance until the company returned to Montreal in April 2009 for "UFC 97: Redemption," which drew 21,451 attendees.

The previous UFC live-gate record dates all the way back to December 2006, when "UFC 66: Liddell vs. Ortiz II" earned an astounding $5,397,300 at the gate – a mark that still stands.

Both the attendance and live-gate figures are expected to fall in April when the UFC visits Toronto's 69,000-seat Rogers Centre for UFC 131.

Guest Rikidozan
I predicted around 800,000, around the same level as the Dan Hardy fight. Seems GSP is the biggest constant draw the UFC has, in the sense that GSP can always draw around 800,000/900,000 a few times a year, whereas Lesnar hasn't fought all that much recently (although to be fair due to the illness). That, and GSP seems unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TruSoul
Might I say I am a huge HUGE GSP fan, and um well when I heard about the weigh in, what GSP said and of course my dislike for Kos, I was excited. When I heard what GSP DID to Kos, I was not surprised but I felt really bad for Kos, he's a bad guy its clear, but at the same time this guy held out all the rounds or most of them anyways as far as I heard and so I mean he gained some respect instead of wimping out and running off to cry about his wound. He manned up. :)