L.A. Noire

dsrchris

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamster26

Yeah, best game I've played in AGES.

I LOVE the facial expressions on the suspects, pure class. If there's been a more addictive game, then I am yet to see it.

It's not just the game itself, it's the implications the tech within the game hold for the gaming industry as a whole that makes it so amazing. Rockstar have raised the bar on what you can do in games graphically, just when everyone had started to say "graphics can't get any better than this". I'm expecting companies like Bioware are very, veeeery interested in how they can apply it to their games?

Guest John Hancock
Exactly, pretty much everyone who makes third or first person big budget console games is going to be blowing Rockstar for this technology.

They are going to need to either refine it so it requires less storage space or everyone is going to need to standardise and use blu-ray though because three discs per game is a pain in the arse.

Only sour taste I had was the fact that if I had wanted all the DLC I needed to pre-order and then buy the game from Play.com, Amazon AND Game! How about pre-ordering customer across the board get everything for their loyality?

Bar that? Quality game, but still Rockstar's second best game (prehaps third if you love GTA IV, I don't) because Red Dead Redemption is better.

Guest John Hancock
I'd say second best with Red Dead Redemption as first. That's slightly unfair on L.A. Noire though, as Red Dead Redemption is probably the best current-generation console game ever.

It would had this not been a Rockstar game and thus it will (and has) been held up to other games created by that company.

Doesn't mean people should see it as an insult or slight though, to be close to the brilliance that was Red Dead should be a glowing enough endorsement - if someone tells me a game is almost as good as RDR it will make my interest in that game increase by at least 50%.

Guest John Hancock

Oh exactly, "Rockstar" is basically the same as " " when it comes to reviewing games.

It's one of the best Rockstar games ever.

It's one of the best games ever.

Oh exactly, "Rockstar" is basically the same as " " when it comes to reviewing games.

You know, I agree with you alot, but I don't think I've ever agreed with you quite as much as I do now. If Rockstar ever looses their mojo, it'll probably be the saddest day in gaming history.

Guest Ciaran The King
The use of real people's expression's is impressive, but there is no depth to the game and it's over far to quickly. GTA 4 is far superior, I'm actually playing it again to get over the frustration of LA Noire.

I'll agree on the depth element, it is very much "go here, do that". But again, it's the innovation that really sells it to me. I've never played a game like it. I've played games that had bits like some of the bits in LA Noire, but never anything that pulled those different strands together, while adding some new stuff of it's own.

Without wanting to sound snobbish, I don't think LA Noire is to everyone's tastes. If you like running round like a maniac blowing the ever-loving sh*t out of stuff, then go nuts on GTA. I like games that are a bit different in their approach to stuff, like Fahrenheit, which is probably the closest comparison I can think of to LA Noire that I've played (a lot of folks are saying it reminds them of things like Heavy Rain, but I haven't got a playstation, so I couldn't tell you).

Basically, LA Noire tries new things which bode well for the future of the games industry, and for that I applaud it. Hell, Rockstar could've pumped out another GTA or RDR to make a quick buck, but went with something new, different, and refreshing instead. These other games companies could learn more than a lesson or two from the folks at Rockstar.

Guest Anime Otaku
I kinda agree, this is the kind of niche game that the GTA's are needed to pay for to make them viable. To be honest I kinda like that it's a bit more restrictive as while it can be fun the likes of RDR and GTA (especially San Andreas) can get to be overwhelming.

Rockstar I think have realised that games are now just a bit TOO open world and have started to address that. RDR and L.A. Noire, whilst letting you run about and play brought the key element to the front that makes me want to play a game and that is the story.

In GTA IV the story wasn't as gripping, it seemed more an after thought to the sheer size and expanse of the world and all you could do in it. I think I spent more time playing pool and bowling on GTA IV then the actual god damn game.

Guest Dave7g
I'm just on the last few missions now, it's a good game alright, but nowhere nearly as good as it first seems. It doesn't touch Red Dead or GTA.

Guest Jimmy Redman

In French you add the 'e' on the end of adjectives if they're describing a feminine subject. Not literally feminine as in a woman, but in Latin languages all nouns are either masculine and feminine, linguistically, which basically only means whether you add the 'e' or not onto adjectives describing it.

Anywho, the point is, noir can be either noir (masculine) or noire (feminine), depending on the gender of the subject.

I suppose since L.A. is generally referred to as a female (like a lot of cities and countries), its a feminine noun.

Guest Jamster26

The french language is confusing. I'd love to see the person who invented it and just ask why on earth they gave genders to people, places and things!

Some of them don't even make sense even when applying the gender concept. Personne and Victime are Feminine, even when the person/ victim is a male...

Guest Jimmy Redman

Thats because it doesnt matter if the person its describing is a man or a woman, its the word itself that has the gender, and its not about being a man or a woman. A victim is feminine in the same way a table is feminine. They're not actually feminine at all, in other words. Its just a linguistic device. A sh*tty annoying one, sure.

Although, as English-speakers we really have no right to complain. English is one sh*tty language.