Fan Clubs | beta

L.A. Noire

dsrchris

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like we took over all of those countries and forced the language and our religion upon them.

Canada, New Zealand, Austraila, The US of A, Wales, Scotland, Ireland - all of them 'English' speaking countries because we have, at various times, owned them.

Guest Anime Otaku
Apparently it's hard to understand just how weird and complicated English is unless you have to learn how to teach it as a foreign language.

Guest Jamster26
More like we took over all of those countries and forced the language and our religion upon them.

Canada, New Zealand, Austraila, The US of A, Wales, Scotland, Ireland - all of them 'English' speaking countries because we have, at various times, owned them.

Weren't we a country speaking Celtic at one point, before we were invaded? Something about the saxons, englisc and all that stuff?

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yes about 12 centuries ago.

And yeah, English sucks. All those random silent letters, things pronounced completely unlike the way they're spelt, words that are spelled the same and sound different, words that sound the same but are spelt differently, "ough" in general, etc. and etc.

Still, at least we don't have a billion tenses and assign gender labels to objects....we can differentiate R from L, and we don't sound like we're gargling when we talk. Edited by etz

Guest John Hancock
English also wins as a language for not having masculine or feminine words. That right there is a life saver.

Guest Phil
Apparently it's hard to understand just how weird and complicated English is unless you have to learn how to teach it as a foreign language.

try teaching it as a first language! It's amazing how little today's youth actually understands about their own language.

Anywho, LA Noire - someone said it isn't a game where you go round bursting people's heads with guns, in that case I think I'll pass. I'm not a big fan of 'deep' games, I'd rather have a shitload of fun for 4 hours than be preached to.

Guest John Hancock
Preached to? It's not preachy at all, I'm not even sure what that means. In essence, it's a puzzle game presented as an action game... with a little bit of action at the end of every puzzle. It's a very reserved game, yeah, and it won't be for everyone, but it's certainly not "preachy", whatever that means in a gaming context.

Guest Dave7g
Preachy, no. A little condescending though, like where in some action scenes if you fail it a few times it says, "you seem to be having trouble with this section, would you like to skip it?" No, **** off LA Noire, I wouldn't be having any trouble at all if your cover system wan't made of arse.

Preachy, no. A little condescending though, like where in some action scenes if you fail it a few times it says, "you seem to be having trouble with this section, would you like to skip it?" No, **** off LA Noire, I wouldn't be having any trouble at all if your cover system wan't made of arse.

That's not a new thing. It was in RDR too.

Guest Dave7g
I never had any problems with Red Dead or Gta's cover system at all. I love Red dead's the most. Marston sliding into cover is my favourite thing to do. This one seems different to me, he just walks out in front of bullets like a dick.

I never had any problems with Red Dead or Gta's cover system at all. I love Red dead's the most. Marston sliding into cover is my favourite thing to do. This one seems different to me, he just walks out in front of bullets like a dick.

Not the cover system, dude. "The fail X amount of times and get offered a skip ahead because you f'n suck" mechanism.

Guest John Hancock
Red Dead Redemption is the only game I can really think of were the cover system works PERFECTLY. GTA IV, L.A. Noire and Gears of War all have their moments of pissing me off by my little character refusing to do what he's told.

Agreed. I think it's the slide move in RDR that sorts it out. You can charge a bunch of guys down, firing like a madman, before sliding nimbly behind a rock to reload. It just doesn't feel the same on LA Noire and GTA without the sliding.

Guest Phil
Preached to? It's not preachy at all, I'm not even sure what that means. In essence, it's a puzzle game presented as an action game... with a little bit of action at the end of every puzzle. It's a very reserved game, yeah, and it won't be for everyone, but it's certainly not "preachy", whatever that means in a gaming context.

I dunno, just some games I've played tend to present things in a very black and white way. Typically I can't think of any I've played right now but there've been times when it's come across like there's no grey areas.

something like:

Good guy - "I'm gonna go kill him right now!"

Other good guy - "no you don't do that, because killing is always wrong, and you should never kill, because it's bad to kill, when you kill you go to Hell, Hell is where killers go, you don't want to go to Hell, because you're a good person, and good people don't kill. Killers kill, and they go to Hell." etc, etc!

The character may as well break the 4th wall and tell me to say my prayers and take my vitamins!

Guest Dave7g
Well it's not like that at all, I haven't finished it yet but Cole certainly has a dark side if that's what you're after.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, in absolutely no way is he a cut and dry Hulk Hogan good guy. Not sure who told you that, but they're totally wrong.

I dunno, just some games I've played tend to present things in a very black and white way. Typically I can't think of any I've played right now but there've been times when it's come across like there's no grey areas.

something like:

Good guy - "I'm gonna go kill him right now!"

Other good guy - "no you don't do that, because killing is always wrong, and you should never kill, because it's bad to kill, when you kill you go to Hell, Hell is where killers go, you don't want to go to Hell, because you're a good person, and good people don't kill. Killers kill, and they go to Hell." etc, etc!

The character may as well break the 4th wall and tell me to say my prayers and take my vitamins!

I don't think I've ever played a game like that.