Fan Clubs (beta)

NBA Playoffs 2011

Guest The Beltster

Yeah, that last game showed that the entire Mavericks team are championship caliber. Dirk had a weak first half and the rest of the team really stepped it up. But all things considered Dirk has proven hes an elite, and unique talent.

But I've gotta say I don't understand this team loyalty thing thats being talking about. Its a game, and a business. A player only needs to concern themselves with winning and getting paid. Everyones ultimate goal should be to win an nba championship. Why should some intangible idea like loyalty to a city (that in most cases isn't even a player's hometown) prevent a player from doing what is best for their career?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
But I've gotta say I don't understand this team loyalty thing thats being talking about. Its a game, and a business. A player only needs to concern themselves with winning and getting paid. Everyones ultimate goal should be to win an nba championship. Why should some intangible idea like loyalty to a city (that in most cases isn't even a player's hometown) prevent a player from doing what is best for their career?
Yes, its a business, and a team can pay their own free agents more money than any other team. The ultimate goal should be to make as much money as you can. The championship is a bonus, but winning 20 rings wont mean shit if you dont get paid. Plus, there should be a sense of loyalty. Home town doesnt come into it. If a team has put hundreds of millions of dollars into other players to try and make YOU happy and help YOU win a championship, YOU should in turn repay that loyalty by sticking around (like Dirk) and try and help that team win. It's a 2 way thing. Howard is saying he wants the Orlando ownership to provide him with more help, at their cost, so they have been. He should, in turn, help the ownership by signing an extension. You cant have it all your way or you walk, thats bullshit.

It took Jordan 8 years to win his first ring, he could have left and joined the Lakers or Celtics or Pistons but he didnt. He wanted to bring a title to his city, not help somebody else bring one to theirs.

Dwight will make more money staying in Orlando than he can anywhere else, thats a fact. He is also playing on a 50+ win team 4 years in a row and one that went to the Finals and ECF in a row. This year they flamed out in the first round, but Dallas went to the Finals in 06 then flamed out in the first round every year since and won the title this year. Dirk was loyal and they re-built around him, it cant be done in 1 year, I hate how players make these "get me a title right now or I'm leaving" attitude. Its so lame. Back in the day, Jordan, Magic, Bird, all these huge stars usually stuck with one team and worked hard and got their rings. Dwight is 25 years old, thats all, he has plenty of time.

Edited by The Beltster