Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  20 members  ·  Free

Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2

Kam

The first Harry Potter film was released in 2001, the final part is released in July 2011:

[video=youtube;1uI7Oxq6Fgk]

Edited by Kam

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Some reviews are in:

The Hollywood Reporter:

It ends well. After eight films in 10 years and a cumulative global box-office take of more than $6.3 billion, the most successful franchise in the history of movies comes to an obligatory -- and quite satisfying -- conclusion in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Fully justifying the decision, once thought purely mercenary, of splitting J.K. Rowling's final book into two parts, this is an exciting and, to put it mildly, massively eventful finale that will grip and greatly please anyone who has been at all a fan of the series up to now. If ever there was a sure thing commercially, this stout farewell is it.

The Guardian:

Sensational, satisfying, surreal ... an explosive final chapter puts the magic back into the Harry Potter franchise.

Empire:

A worthy farewell that packs in as much action as its seven predecessors combined and manages not to stint on the emotional beats. Harry Potter leaves us as a quiet, bespectacled, corduroy-wearing hero for the ages.

Total Film:

Fusing spectacle and emotion into a thrilling final chapter, director David Yates ensures that the series goes out with a bang. Finales don’t come much grander than this.

Edited by Kam

Guest Hanahbananabob
Cannot wait!! Seeing it on friday in 3D, its gonna be awesome! Yeah..I'm a total Harry Potter geek xD

I've cancelled my tickets for Friday because it clashes with Davey Richards wrestling in Wolverhampton. We'll go catch it at some point. The missus has made me sit through all of these, so I'll be damned if I'm missing the ending.

Watching it at the IMAX once it's out, as I previously did with Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Part 1. Looking forward to it.

Not watched a Potter film since they f*cked up the end of Azkaban so badly. Might watch this on DVD but I doubt I'll go to the cinema. I really enjoyed the books but the films have just never done anything for me.

Guest Hanahbananabob
Not watched a Potter film since they f*cked up the end of Azkaban so badly. Might watch this on DVD but I doubt I'll go to the cinema. I really enjoyed the books but the films have just never done anything for me.

They have made up for it with the last 2, they follow the books a lot more closely...number 3 was shockingly bad!

Guest Maximinn
I thought the 7th one was the best by a long way. The 3rd and 5th were awful. I'm really looking forward to this one though. Only downside is that I wont be home when it's in the cinema so I'll have to watch it here with the norwegian subtitles. For reasons best known to themselves they renamed most of the characters. I find it so distracting seeing unfamiliar names popping up in the subtitles.

Guest Magic

I'm not lying when I say I have never anticipated a movie more.

On topic of botched previous films, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Goblet of Fire, which in my opinion is the worst in terms of being true to the books, by a long, long way. Next would be Order of the Pheonix, then Half Blood Prince. In fact, Prisoner of Azkaban isn't that bad I don't think.

Note that despite this, I still love them! :)

Deathly Hallows Part 1 was my favourite of the films, and I expect Part 2 to be even better.

Guest Maximinn

On topic of botched previous films, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Goblet of Fire, which in my opinion is the worst in terms of being true to the books, by a long, long way.

I remember when I first watched Goblet of Fire I thought the exact same thing. I watched the whole series recently though and actually found it one of the best. I don't mind them diverging from books a bit if they do it well. I mean some of the books are like 800 pages long or something. You can't fit that in a 2 and a half hour movie without some changes.

Guest Magic

I understand that it's inevitable that things are going to be needed to be left out. I don't mind when they just leave certain bits out due to time constraints, it's disappointing, but understandable. My issue with Goblet of Fire (and others, but mostly film 4) is that they change certain things that don't need to be changed. It isn't to do with timing, simply that they have re-wrote the screenplay to something else. The first thing off the top of my head in Goblet of Fire is Neville giving Harry Gillyweed as opposed to Dobby. Or the death of Barty Crouch. (Oh and as a side note, I have always been bitter about the lack of Ludo Bagman.)

So when they start to meddle with tiny little, mostly insignificant pieces of the plot, that really make no difference to the overall film, thats when I start to get annoyed. It's mainly because I'm such a fan of the books and I notice all the tiny little things they change.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I still love them. But 4 is definitely my least favourite I think. I'm so glad they did the last one in two parts, as it wouldn't have been done justice otherwise. They needed all the time to fit everything in, pretty much everything should be included.

The only other issue I have is with Order of the Pheonix, where I felt, slightly contradicting my earlier point, they annoyed me by leaving out too much and making it too short. I was disappointed we didn't get to see St Mungo's hospital.

Guest Maximinn

Yeah i totally agree with you about Dobby. I can only assume that they changed it so they didnt have to spend part of the film introducing him again and explaining why he was there. Then they'd have had to have Hermione start up S.P.E.W and for that they'd have had to have Winky in it. However if they'd done all that his death would have had loads more impact in the 7th one.

I always felt the 5th one felt a bit frantic. Even with leaving out massive chunks of the plot it still felt like they were racing through the whole film. The stuff with Cho became almost completely meaningless.

Got my tickets booked to see it in IMAX on Sunday. Really excited, this is the big Summer film I've been most wanting to see.

Guest Jaycey Baby

Oh God, I'm working during a midnight IMAX screening of this tonight. I'll have to pretend through gritted teeth that I'm as enthusiastic about it as the legions of fat goths with a reading age of 10 and a borederline paedophilic interest in teenage wizards.

Nightmare.