Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2

Kam

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maximinn
You should really read them before you judge. They don't read like kids books. It's an excellent story.

Guest ScottyB
I thought this was brilliant. The overall tone of the film was spot on, it was nice to see the films mature like the books did. Even though a few things were changed they were changed for the better.

Guest Jaycey Baby
You should really read them before you judge. They don't read like kids books. It's an excellent story.

I have had a go at reading the first book and I've seen the first three films, so I'm not just hating blindly, I just find the Rowling brand of fantasy a little wet and derivative for me. Honestly though, I do think it's a good thing that Potter's got people excited about reading in an age when many people don't see the point in books at best and are downright hostile to the idea of reading at worst. I just hope they'll go on to read some of the classics rather than think they've filled their lifetime's reading quota with some fairly unchallenging books (hello, Dan Brown fans).

Guest Maximinn

Well if you've tried to read them and didn't like them that's a different story. They're not everyones cup of tea. I assumed you were blindly hating when you said "Of course I haven't read them. I'm an adult".

I don't think the films do the books justice. I suppose everyone says that about a book or books they were a fan of which later got a movie deal. I've heard people say it about James Bond and LotR as well.

Watched this yesterday, only way I can describe it is UNDERWHELMING.

All I've heard from anyone who knows anything about Potter (which I don't) is that this is the one where everything kicks off, and it's all proper epic, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't think it seemed like enough of a big deal. There was a whole load of moments which should have been made a bigger deal of than they seemingly did. They tried to cram too much in from my perspective, and it meant nothing was really given the gravitas I thought it should have been.

I felt bad for Snape, and that's about it. The rest of it just gave me no feelings towards it whatsoever.

You know what gutted me the most? I've watched 10 years of these films waiting for Neville Longbottom to get his obvious "Badass" moment. And they made no fuss about it whatsoever.

So yeah, missus Deeser and her friends loved it, but I thought it was pretty woeful to be honest.

^ This. I've read the books but the films just never really capitalised on the potential.

The big reveal that Snape was actually a hero all along was done well, but it could have been sooooo much better. The film seemed to drag on a bit, but at the same time everything happened really quickly. The siege of hogwarts was crap!

Don't even get me started on:

the death of Voldemort

Because that was just the most underwhelming moment in cinema this year. I've got no real interest in Harry Potter, and even I feel like I've been short changed by this film.

agreed

should have been epic and it kind of just...happened. One minute he's fighting with Harry, the next he's just peeling away into nothingness.

No real surprise, but this has broken a few box office records, from Digital Spy:

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' breaks first-day box office records

Saturday, July 16 2011, 22:44 BST

By Daniel Sperling, Entertainment Reporter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has broken the all-time record for the biggest box-office gross in one day of opening.

The final instalment of the wizarding franchise collected $92m (£57m) in the US upon its release on Friday, beating previous record-holder The Twilight Saga: New Moon's tally of $72m (£44m) in 2009.

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 raked in an additional $75m (£46m) internationally, to bring its global total close to $250m (£154m). This amount included a first-day opening of almost $15m (£9m) in the UK, the biggest single-day takings ever seen in the country.

The latest Harry Potter also set a new record for midnight screenings, as the $43m (£26m) it collected easily surpassed the $30m (£18m) achieved by late-night shows of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse last year.

"What an incredible beginning for the movie that ends it all," Warner domestic distribution president Dan Fellman commented to Variety.

"Everyone at Warner Bros joins me in congratulating the many people behind the Harry Potter films. We know this is just the start of what promises to be an astounding weekend and a magical summer."

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 took more money in 24 hours than four of the previous seven Harry Potter pictures did over their entire opening weekends, The AP adds. The film's success has been attributed to the increased cost of tickets to 3D showings.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is also tipped to surpass The Dark Knight's opening weekend record of $158m (£97m) domestically.