Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  20 members  ·  Free

Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2

Kam

Just saw it and really enjoyed it. Underwhelmed by the parts that Disser and Phil mentioned.

Still, I liked it a lot!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the "oh, alright then" finish is way, way too common nowdays, and not just in films. Stephen King is a great writer but Under The Dome and The Stand (both of which I do actually like) both have that kind of ending. So does the Nightsdawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton........3000+ pages and it's a literal deus ex machina... as in, literally, a machine with godlike powers....

Under The Dome was an amazing book with a what the f*ck is this kinda ending. The Stand kinda did that too, but a bit better.

The ending to the Dark Tower series still has my head spinning after all these years. It was well worth the wait between the Gunslinger and book 7. That's exactly how you write an epic adventure masterpiece.

From Digital Spy:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has smashed global box office records by taking £297m ($476m) worldwide in its first weekend of release.

The last film in the Harry Potter franchise grossed £191m ($307m) internationally in addition to £105.4m ($168.8m) in the US to topple the previous record-holder Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which garnered £246m ($394m) in ticket sales in 2009.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2's record-breaking opening also places it ahead of other record-setters Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and The Dark Knight.

$476 million on the first weekend! :doh30:

Guest Jimmy Redman

Yeah, the one main letdown for me was

From Voldemort's death onwards. Really, really anticlimactic. I didnt mind so much that they were fighting with nobody else around, because thats the story the movie was telling. But in the book, Harry kills Voldemort and the place EXPLODES. There's a giant crazy pandemonium when they all realise that he's dead and its over and they've all survived. But in the movie...nothing. Voldemort dies, then...cut to the next scene, people are talking. It was like any random scene in the middle of the movie, when it should have been "HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SH*T WE WON!" And something like that is easier to convey in a movie than in a book, they really could have done it, and they didnt bother.

That pissed me off the most. I needed ewoks dancing on the Forest Moon of Endor, and I got nothing.

But on the plus side, probably my favourite part was

The way they built the final battle scene, with all the epic landscape sweeping, the suits of armour manning up, the giant bridge, the giant magic bubble shield, McGonagall being a Bad Ass Mother F*cker, and so on. I never really appreciated the scope of the final battle for the castle until I saw it in the movie. Thats one thing that movies as a medium have over the written word, in this case. They nailed this here.

Anyway, it was great.