Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club III

Anyone still reviewing in the other thread, has to finish reviewing before posting here.

Saturday 24. September

- Darkstar

- Inno

Wednesday 28. September

- dsrchris

- BratSan

Saturday 1. October

- Phil

- Maxximus

Wednesday 5. October

- Anime Otaku

- Shaun2J

Saturday 8. October

- Dante Spears

- DC

Wednesday 12. October

- TheDef

- Springsteen

Edited by Paul

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Shaun doesnt mind too much but I just swapped around me and BratSan as he hasnt been on to see its his turn today and I want it to start smoothly. Plus Im impatient. :lol

My picks:

Firstly one of the greatest pop songs ever. Though its incredibly scray and disturbing when you actually listen to the lyrics about a photographer taking advantage of his models. Anybody 28 or older from the Uk will know Im talking about Babybird - 'You're Gorgeous'

[video=youtube;2bgg_gi7AAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgg_gi7AAI

In a change of pace recently someone uploaded a demo done by a Doncaster band called Fake Ideal from way back when. The balance is all wrong, the vocals are pretty dire, and yet I love it. The guitars are brilliant and I love the 'BURN... YOUR... EX...LOVEEEEEERRRR' bit. :lol

[video=youtube;vSQZAKUXsWo]

i expect that to get low scores, so dont feel bad. :lol

Guest Springsteen

Babybird - You're Gorgeous

Retro :D, this is pretty fun actually. The tune is really good. Vocally it's good. Just for the retro kick, 8/10.

The Fake Ideal one

Man you weren't kidding :lol. This is pretty awful. it just sounds all wrong. If the tune and vocals were separated this might make a half decent song but unfortunately this isn't the case. 0/10. Sorry :lol

[video=youtube_share;SmJBHgispzg]

Radiator - Black Shine (Charlie Clouser Remix)

I heard this on a Kerrang! CD in 1998, and ended up buying the CD single from a car boot sale for 25p 10 years later... the song stuck in my head, and I still love it. It's remixed by a dude from Nine Inch Nails, so yeah. Street Cred or somethings... meh.

[video=youtube_share;H75l0gOEG-E]http://youtu.be/H75l0gOEG-E

Alice Cooper - Only Women Bleed

Going to see Alice on Halloween, so thought I'd throw this in. Not as well known as School's Out, Elected or Poison - but I reckon it's up there with his best, shows that he can actually write and sing better than he gets credit for...

~~~~

Darkstar

LOVE this! Found the single, it actually comes in a totally reflective shiny case so it looks like you're looking in a mirror saying "You're Gorgeous" when you pick it up. Brilliant, brilliant song.

10/10

Fake Ideal - Burn Your Ex Lover

It's not as bad as DS was making it out to be! It's kinda punky and raw, which I dig a lot. I likes this a lot, to be honest

8/10

Edited by Inno

Radiator - Black Shine

I love that intro! Vocals are very Alice Cooper (hah, just seen your next pick!!!), thats not a bad thing. The sudden stops in the sound are brilliant, they drag your brain away from drifting into a relax and forces you to listen. As it goes on the vocals seem to fade a bit, but thats fine. Overall a comfortable 7/10

Quite a nice song, but I've heard the same basic stuff done a million times better by others. In fact this would have been better done in a more country style, kind of Dixie Chicks. Still its not horrible. 6/10

Firstly Alice, let me punch you in the nose and we'll test that theory out! :P

oK have i got this right? In this thread you review songs and make suggestions? If so where do i sign up? I am so eclectic in my music tastes i will probably have some awesome tracks to throw into the mix

Darkstar

LOVE this! Found the single, it actually comes in a totally reflective shiny case so it looks like you're looking in a mirror saying "You're Gorgeous" when you pick it up. Brilliant, brilliant song.

10/10

It's not as bad as DS was making it out to be! It's kinda punky and raw, which I dig a lot. I likes this a lot, to be honest

8/10

Oh man, that CD is a great idea. Someone needed a payrise for that, perfect sense. As for Fake Ideal, I admit Im surprised anyone voted it above 5, so an 8 has made my day. :lol I used to love it when they played that song at gigs, it was such a great live song, it just never worked when recorded for some reason.

oK have i got this right? In this thread you review songs and make suggestions? If so where do i sign up? I am so eclectic in my music tastes i will probably have some awesome tracks to throw into the mix

Keep an eye on this forum, when this round is coming to an end then Shaun will ask for people to join the next round. :)

Guest Dante Spears

Babybird - 'You're Gorgeous'

7/10. Wow I actually liked that. and I generally don't like songs that just repeat the same thing over again.

0/10. No.

Radiator - Black Shine

0/10. Less offensive than the previous one. But still No.

5/10. Eh, pretty good I guess. Love the intro

Guest Springsteen

The beginning is a little bit awkward sounding but it isn't terrible. It goes ok with the vocals but neither really shine. This isn't too great to be totally honest, though it isn't completely awful. 4/10.

Pretty good if basic. Vocally it shines very brightly. The tune is good and does go well with the strong if basic vocals. Good choice. 8/10

Darkstar

Retro Kick. Yo Yo. Me likes it a lot. But the video is damn awful :lol 8/10

Hell No. Nah, not to my liking DS. No offense. Gets that solitary point for the guitar work. 1/10

Inno

Radiator - Black Shine

I love the rift on this one. The music switching off and on adds a lot to its appeal. Vocals are good and the rhythm is pretty neat. Definitely worth a listen again. Guitarist gets a special mention. 8/10

Meh. Nothing special about it. Heard the likes a million times and this didn't appeal much. Vocals are good though and the melody is ok. 3/10

Ok, here I go.

My first pick : Tomorrow Never Knows by Carla Azar

Ok, I know this is a Beatles song, but this version is a lot better than the original. :) For all you purists out there, I don't care :lol.

And to add to that, this one was in Sucker Punch. Enough said. ;)

[video=youtube;OPsL6dECQ38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsL6dECQ38

Second One: Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People. My current favorite. Kinda like the melody a lot. Check it out, but don't go hating on me for the NSFW lyrics. :lol. Whatever, me likes this a lot.

[video=youtube;SDTZ7iX4vTQ]

Cheers...!!

Edited by BratSan

Kun Twaffle(AKA: Bunkstar)

His picks:

Wow. Where do I start... okay; two things. A) I can see Darkstar doing the infamous "Would you f*ck me?" scene from 'Silence' to this song. And, B) Well... I don't need a 'B)' because my 'A)' was so good.

8/10 for the visual.

Fake Ideal - Burn your ex-lover.

I like the lack of production on this track. They're a heavy-ish band so they should sound raw. The guitars, while kept simple are great. I really do like the tone. This reminds me of a really watered down Steele City Hardcore scene band. That's in no way an insult to Doncaster. We just don't play in this town when it comes to heavy music. We're notorious for it. I remember seeing At The Drive In in the basment of "The Indy House" for $4 and a can of food, before they made it big.

Forgive the rant and self indulgence.

This song was great for what it was.

7/10

Innotater

His picks:

I can always count on you to play music that, while isn't as heavy as I normally listen to, it's always something I can get into. This is dope. I love the bass line and the beat in general and the vocals are great. I especially like how the guitars sound so dirty; almost sludge like. This song makes me want to plan a bank heist.

8/10

Alice Cooper is an icon, but I don't like that he sounds like Elton John or something on this track. Although I'm sure that if I drank a half bottle of whiskey I'd be in love with this song. It makes me want to drown my sorrows. Inno, lets go get drunk and talk about women and rock and roll. First round's on you.

6/10

BrizzatSazzan

His picks:

Carla Azar - Tomorrow Never Knows

While I love this movie and especially Sweet Pea, I'm not into listening to movie scores without watching it with the movie. I mean, this is score right? It was written for the movie or no? Whatever. Either way, it's not doing anything for me. It's too long, drawn out, and ethereal. No amount of medicinal grade marijuana is gonna improve this song for me without watching it in context with the film. Am I wrong here?

Musically it's just okay and inoffensive. It's fine for playing in the background. OR WITH A MOVIE.

4/10

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

The vocals alone make me want to leave the singer laying in a pool of his own due the massive, gaping head wound I just dealt him. Is this guy a lesbian or what? The more I listen to this the more I want to fight all these guys to the death. I don't mean for being lesbians, I mean for being shit.

1/10

Darkstar

This song has been lumped into the same category as "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba, and "Chelsea Dagger" by The Fratellis. That category is "songs that drunken dickheads tend to sing ridiculously loudly in big groups". For that reason alone, I hate this song. I'll give them props for getting a f*ckload of people to sing this song to their girlfriends without realising what the lyrics are actually about. For that I'll give it:

3/10

Fake Ideal - Burn your ex-lover.

This just is't my bag at all. It's not even anything to do with production values and stuff, it just isn't the kind of song I'd want to listen to. It's competent enough, but that only gets it another:

3/10

Inno

It kinda sounds like generic "action movie tooling up sequence" music. Man, I feel like I'm just ragging on everything that people have posted so far, but I'm just not into this either. Weird, I usually like Charlie Clouser remixes of various things. I guess it's just a 1998 song, and I'm not where I was at in 1998 musically anymore. If I'd have heard this when it was originally released I'd have probably liked it a lot more than I do?

4/10

Wow. That was...well...not at all what I'd expect from Alice Cooper. Too ballad-y for my liking, where's the RAWK?! Is it wrong I keep snickering at "only women bleed"? Yeah, for a week and still don't die. :lol Meh, I don't like, but I don't hate it. An indifferent:

5/10

BratSan

Carla Azar - Tomorrow Never Knows

This is SOOOOOO not better than the original. I mean, it's not bad, but it's not a patch on the original Beatles version. As I'm listening to it, it just makes me want to spin some Beatles and smoke a bowl instead.

2/10

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

Now surprisingly, this was quite cool to listen to on the radio in the summer sunshine (well, the 3 days of sunshine we had this year anyways). Now we're heading into autumn though, it's lost that shiny summer sparkle it had, and now just sounds kinda...well...cr*p. Which is weird, because when it came on the radio at work not 3 months ago, I'd quite happily hum along absent mindedly. I don't mind listening to it as background work music, but it's not something I'd choose to play ever, really. Man, I've been totally down on everyone's picks so far. Sorry guys, but this only gets:

3/10

Right, onto my day late picks. First pick is from the Earth-shatteringly awesome "Rome" from Danielle Luppi and Dangermouse. I've chosen "Two Against One" featuring Jack White of White Stripes "is that his wife or sister" fame.

[video=youtube;Gxjuom-jaL0]

And for my second pick, I've chosen my immediate favourite from the brand new Mastodon album "The Hunter". Cool song, great video, this is "Curl of the Burl":

[video=youtube;lAihDAJX8Ow]