Fan Clubs | beta

Music Club III

dsr, you sunovabitch! I was gonna post Hurl of the Burl this ruond, dammit!

So called dsrchris

His picks

Two Against One featuring Jack White - Rome

I really liked the 60ish feel I got from this. It's slow and mellow(in a good way) and I can chill to this anytime of the day. The vocals are amazing and make the song for me.

8/10

Mastodon - Hurl of the Burl

I was seriously going to post this; not even kidding. BALLS!

Good thing I love Mastodon so much, dsr, or I'da givin' you a big fat zero for stealing my choice! Mastodon is wicked. Long live the kings of Sludge!

10/10

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beefhead

DS:

Babybird- You're Gorgeous:

This isn't bad really but just not my kind of thing. 6/10

Fake- Burn your ex lover:

The guitars are hot, the lyrics are pretty great, and the vocals are nowhere near as bad as I expected by the reviews. I kinda get like a punk rock Mick Jagger. 8/10

Inn0:

Radiator- Black Shine:

This is awesome from the jump. The whole sound is rather Soundgarden, although the singer sounds more like the BuckCherry guy than Cornell :lol This is awesome though 10/10

Bratsan:

Carla Azar- Tomorrow never knows:

Probably great in the movie but boring by itself, and in no way better than The Beatles 4/10

Foster The people- Pumped up kicks:

Ok so I listened to this before any of the other tracks and then again when I go to it's turn. I liked it better the second time. Kinda getting a beck vibe which is cool. The chorus is nice, the vocals are good, the intro music is good but the rest is a bit repetitive. 7/10

DsrChris:

Danielle Luppi and Dangermouse ft. Jack White- Two against one:

Lyrically ****in epic, vocally kinda boring. The guitar work in the beginning is very Rick Rubin era Cash and thats awesome. Only loses one point for vocals cause everything else is awesome. 9/10

Mastodon- Curl of the Burl:

Absolute favorite Mastodon song ever, and thats a big task cause I love Mastodon. This video is epic. 10/10

My turn!

Last round I made a comment about female vocalists. Here are two I can tolerate and would give children to, too.

No one will like this. "This is a song that will make you bleed from your anus."

iwrestledabearonce - You know that ain't them dogs' real voices

[video=youtube;pwgMMtgSTVE]

I don't know if anyone will like this either, but I think they're awesome. I've seen 'em live and I will even play for you one of their live songs. Amanda F*cking Palmer may miss a few notes, but her intensity is undeniable. Scoff if you wish, she will take all you f*ckers on and kick your ******* ***** down your ******* throats, you ******* *********** pathetic excuse for *****!

The Dresden Dolls - Sex Changes

[video=youtube;TV0hAA_VdRE]

I want to punch Neil Gaimen in the face.

Guest Springsteen

Tomorrow Never Knows by Carla Azar

It's alright I suppose, but it's also 'not quite there' across the board really. Drags in some areas too. 5/10.

Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People

Again an alright song. Vocally it's sound enough but the tune is a bit on and off, doesn't totally fit for me. Not bad though. 6/10.

Two Against One

I like this, very much like it. Vocally it's pretty dry but sounds good, the tune beats well and goes well. Good choice. 8/10.

Curl of the Burl

Not enjoying this as much. It's not a bad song on its own merits but it's not quite there either. Nothing bad about the song at all, just a little awkward at times. 5/10.

The video is awesome and epic. The song...not so much. I hate the shouty vocals part, detest them. The other vocals aren't so bad. The tune is ok. 4/10.

Liking the instrumentals at the beginning and that's a good thing throughout. Vocally it's not too badYeah i enjoyed this. 8/10.

I'll post the last two songs from the last round here so as not to drag that one back up.

Eric Clapton

Not for me this one, he's good and everything, just a little bit slow. still a good tune though 5/10

Ocean Colour Scene - Riverboat song

classic, love this one, whole thing is A* from start to end!! 10/10

onto this round:

Baby Bird - you're gorgeous

yeah I remember this one growing up, proper awesome song! never really paid much attention to the lyrics though!! 9/10

Fake ideal - burn your ex lover

haha, this is actually pretty good, but yeah the singer needs some work. It almost works in a Sex Pistols kind of "we dont care if the singer can't sing we're here to tear shit up" kinda way. 5/10

Radiator - black shine

yeah I liked this one, if anything it was a bit too long, I stopped it about just short of 4 minutes and then realised there was another 30 seconds, but I'd listen again. 7/10

Alice Cooper - Only Women Bleed

yeah I'm not a fan of acoustic Alice, just doesn't seem to fit, it's a decent song, just doesn't seem to fit really. 5/10

Carla Azar - Tomorrow never knows

not bad, but I think it's trying a bit too hard and it's a bit too long, which is wierd because normally I love long songs. 5/10

Foster the People - jumped up kicks

yeah didn't like this from the start, don't like the effects on his voice and it's got a really annoying beat. 4/10

Two against one featuring Jack White

I really, really don't like Jack White's voice, it's not any better here, had to turn it off after about a minute just because of his voice, which is a shame because the music sounded really cool. 4/10

Mastodon - curl of the burl

I remember when Mastodon first appeared and everyone (well Kerrang) came their pants about how they were the best band ever and would lead metal into the next generation. Then I heard them and, honestly, I can't stand them, I can't find any redeeming features in their music at all, I've hated every song they've ever released, which is werid because normally I'll like at least a couple of songs from a band, they just remind me of Raging Speedhorn! 0/10

iwrestledabearonce - you know that aint them real dogs voices

I've yet to find a female vocalist who can scream as well as Angela Gossow, but she's not bad, prefer the singing voice, but that's just because I prefer clean to harsh vocals. Vocalist reminds me of the main lass from ugly betty, not sure if that's a good thing or not. 8/10

The Dresden Dolls - sex changes

not a fan, cool that it's just drums and piano, but I don't like her voice and the gimmick kind of wears off after about 3 minutes. 5/10

a day late but here are my picks.

Tribuzy featuring Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon live

This is an old Bruce Dickinson song, re-imagined by the Brazilian band Tribuzy. It's something different, but still keeps the mega epic chorus of the original! Intros a bit overblown, but the song kicks in at about 50 seconds.

[video=youtube_share;dxeVtMrvUNc]

Alestorm - Keelhauled

man I love this band, they're doing something that's a little different and so much fun to listen to. There were a few songs I was thinking about picking, but with my first choice being a bit longer I thought I'd go for a shorter one.

[video=youtube_share;ta-Z_psXODw]

Guest Anime Otaku

Babybird - You're Gorgeous

I remember loving this song when I was younger, didn't realise how dark it was though, I think most people got stuck on the chorus and the melody. Still like it. 8/10

Fake Ideal - Burn Your Ex-Lover

Love this, has a great low tech "done in a garage with no budget" sound. As someone said above the vocalist isn't great but the genre means that it doesn't really hurt the song. The guitar is really good too. 7/10

Radiator - Black Shine

Ahh! love the bass in this, vocals are really good too. 7/10

Not really taken with this at all. I prefer School's Out, "Poison or Vengeance Is Mine. It's not bad it's just very "meh" and it really out stays it's welcome too IMO 4/10

When I saw that this was a cover I looked up the original, I agree this is vastly superior, but I've always had some hype aversion when The Beatles are mentioned. Love the melody to this and the vocals are really nicely done too, like the slightly dreamy feel to them, perfect song. The Sucker Punch OST as a whole is brilliant. 8/10 and this is only the third best song on the OST.

Foster the People - Jumped Up For Kicks

Like the music a lot, it's simple but good. Don't like the vocals during the verses, the effect on them is too strong, the chorus is ok. 5/10

Danielle Luppi and Dangermouse - Two against one featuring Jack White

Liking this quite a lot, nice chilled melody and I like Jack White's voice. 7/10

Mastodon - curl of the burl

Really Really liked pretty much everything about this. 9/10

iwrestledabearonce - You Know That Ain't Them Real Dogs Voices

Firstly I LOVE the band's name! The song name.. somewhere an English teacher is crying. :D Like this, she's actually got a pretty nice voice when she's actually singing, the screaming is OK, it's something I can take or leave, though I am impressed when a woman pulls it off well like this. 8/10

The Dresden Dolls - sex changes

This is one of the bands I hear about a lot but never got around to listening to before now. Firstly gotta ask.. What the F*** was that woman wearing at the start!? On to the song, kinda reminds me of a more rock-ish aggressive Tori Amos. Like the piano, not too keen on her vocals though. 5/10

Loving the guitar riff and the vocals are great too, the song's a bit over long though. 8/10

Alestorm - Keelhauled

Heh, this is awesome. Just loads of fun, like the music, the vocals are decent too. 9/10

OK, My two picks first is very much NSFW

Gallows - Sick Of Feeling Sick

[video=youtube;FHJm22fD_K8]

and for a massive change of pace my second pick is

Tori Amos - Happy Phantom

[video=youtube;H2yWZb3zXiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2yWZb3zXiA

Edited by Anime Otaku

Babybird - You're Gorgeous

Even I remember this! Obviously because of the reasons DSR stated. Stuck in my mind as a kid but I don't like it at all today. Just too whiny.

3/10

Fake Ideal - Burn your Ex-Lover

Like everything other than the verse and the voice is just iffy. Not something I'd look for again but it's catchy.

5/10

Radiator - Black Shine (Charlie Clouser Remix)

Thought the track was kaputt in some places :lol. I like it, drags on a bit but I like it. Someone mentioned that it sounds like Soundgarden, can't really agree there, I think it sounds way more industrial. Also sounds like some video game track.

7/10

This is a side of Alice Cooper I've never heard from. It's OK, not a big Alice Cooper fan though

5/10

Carla Azar - Tomorrow Never Knows

No, the Beatles version is IMO way better. This goes on too long, some psychedelic songs are just kept short. That's why the Beatles version is superior.

3/10

Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

This is very MGMT'y which means it's not my cup of tea. Don't like it but the lyrics are interesting, I'm a fan of lyrics touching on reallife incidents. Think it's a Columbine reference.

5/10

Danielle Luppi and Dangermouse ft. Jack White - Two Against One

I think I should listen to some more Jack White or his projects. This song is very nostalgic feeling to it. I can see why people don't like his voice but I don't think it's too bad.

8/10

Mastodon - Curl Of The Burl

This is like "I wanna smack you in the face" music. Know Mastadon but I'm not too familiar with their work. This is a bit to "hard" for me, but it's not bad. Honestly thought the vocals would have been it bit more raw.

5/10

Funking hate anything that feels growling is actually a nice thing to listen too. She'll kill you in bed. No fan of double bass drums, not even sure if it's real. Sorry my friend Maxx but me don't likes.

0/10

Don't like the voice but I love what she has on. It's a nice mixture but it doesn't hit me.

4/10

Tribuzy featuring Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon

I like it, not too fond of this music but it sticks with me. Like I've said before, I'm not a fan of Bruce Dickinson style vocals

6/10

Alestorm - Keelhauled

Yaaaarh. Pirates! I love fast paced music that just seems to explode anytime. Really do like the pirate theme

7/10

Sounds a bit generic, so are his vocals but I guess punk gets away with that. I'm in the middle with this, it's not that bad but not great either

5/10

Tori Amos is an on or off thing for me, I like songs like Crucify and she can do some good covers but I can't listen to her all the time. I don't want to become this songs friend, just doesn't click but it's not horribly shit.

5/10

Edited by Shaun2J

So my turn. Grr, don't know what to pick.

Queens of the Stone Age - The Sky Is Fallin

[video=youtube;u7SrwwT6Zps]

Pearl Jam - Breath

[video=youtube;8GeZ7fd_90A]

Pretending I dont know the original, this is pretty damned good actually. It has that stoner edge to the music that really takes me back. :lol

Vocals are decent, yeah overall it works pretty damned well. 7/10

I cant get away from this! I seem to hear it all the time, not complaining though as its pretty cool. 8/10

More tomorrow.

Guest Springsteen

Yeah I enjoyed this. It was long but I don't think it dragged in any way. Vocally it's pretty good, the guitar parts work really well too. Good choice. 8/10.

Alestorm - Keelhauled

:lol This is awesomely fun. Vocally it's pretty average but man if the tune doesn't make up for it and really the vocals have to be that way to fit in. The lyrics are good too. 9/10.

Yeah not too bad. Little bit generic as mentioned above but not too bad really. 6/10.

Yeah nice pace to this. Vocally it's pretty good without ever being great. The tune is really nice. 8/10.

The opening is pretty good, the tune stays fairly consistent throughout. Vocally it's about a step below that, but by no means bad. Good choice. 7/10.

Pearl Jam - Breath

Haven't really ever got into Pearl Jam to be honest, but this is pretty decent. Vocally it's strong and the tune is not too far behind either, they blend well. 8/10.

Guest Dante Spears

7/10 - I've heard worse covers and this one was pretty good. It reminds me of a James Bond Intro.

4/10 - I was nodding my head to the beat so....yay?

0/10 - I want those 4 minute back

3/10 - It was good until she opened her mouth. Seriously though I liked the piano just didn;t care much for the singer

Alestorm - Keelhauled

8/10 - I quite enjoyed that. I don't think I'm convinced enough to start listening to more but what was there was awesome

Tribuzy featuring Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon

6/10 - Didn't mind it to much. Not going to go out of my way to listen to more of their stuff though

0/10 - I hate songs that pretend to be music because they scream alot.

5/10 - This song brought up feelings of I could listen to more....but why would I want to?

7/10 - So this is why people like Queens of the Stone Age. All i really knew about them before this was based off of what came up when I was looking for Queen music. not bad I guess.

Pearl Jam - Breath

6/10 - I liked it. I can;t really say more. it was like a little flavorless nugget, I enjoyed it but don't see myself remembering it for long.

Guest Dante Spears

My turn. took forever to choose

Taylor Swift - Long Live

(Okay, okay I know another Taylor Swift song. But I legit love this one and was interested in opinions on song that wasn't overly sugary or pop-ish. She wrote it about her band. No idea why they added the Fifteen clip at the end, ignore that, it's counter to my point lol)

[video=youtube;6oY8u8fis5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oY8u8fis5U&feature=related

And now for something completely different.

Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back

[video=youtube;_prtbj4MtDU]

Danielle Luppi and Dangermouse: Two Against One

Very Velvet Underground feel to this song, and thats a good thing. Not something I'd listen to much, it doesnt really lend itself to that. But it is kinda cool in a background kinda way. 7/10

Mastadon: Curl of the Burl

Its OK, nothing 'wrong' with it really, but it doesnt do anything for me. Nothing makes it stand out from the other stuff like this. 7/10

Ugh. I f*cking hate this sort of stuff more and more everytime its posted. Musics passable, so 2/10

Intros far too long. Never been a huge fan of the Dolls, though I can appreciate in places. This isnt one of those places, I never realised how crap her live singing was. Really poor. Its like someone doing a parody of Kurt Cobain on TOTP without realising that it wasnt serious in the first place. 3/10

Guest Springsteen

Taylor Swift - Long Live

It doesn't sound too bad actually. Paint by numbers at times but sounds ok vocally. 7/10.

It's different alright.

I can't sit here and seriously rate this as a song, if I did it'd get 0, it's awful :lol

But as a pure gimmick it's fun, it's funny, it's entertaining enough, so 6/10.

Anyway my picks.

The first is my new favourite Primitives song after finding it. Thru The Flowers.

[video=youtube;N_1vFVMfbEM]

Next up are The Ramones - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker

[video=youtube;-nlX7P0nhaI]

Guest Beefhead

Maxximus

Love the song title hated the song sorry bud 2/10

Yeah never really been a fan at all, really dont care for this song, 3/10

Phil

Alestorm - Keelhauled

LOVE LOVE LOVE Alestorm, jus love everything about them. Thw whole gimmick is awesome, theres a viking metl band I cant remember the name of that I love too. As far as this particular track I loved the pirate sing along choruses. Just awesome 9/10

Tribuzy- Tears of the dragon

The intro is awesome, srsly. Overall the music was great. The vocals were nice too. Ive really become a fan of Bruce through these clubs. 8/10

Anime Otaku

Hmmmm I know Im getting older as I hate shouty vocals more and more as time goes on. I didnt like this at all. 4/10

Im a fan of Tori, however the beginning of this is rather boring. I do like the piano, and the lyrics too. Plus she always delivers vocally. Yeah liked this more as it went on, not sure it would really ever get played again though 7/10

Shaun2J

I always enjoy Queens of the stone age, and I absolutely love this as its starting. Nice moody atmospheric music. Then the guitar rips in and melts my face off, before the vocals totally kick my ass. I absolutely loved every second of this. Good choice Shaun2J 10/10

Pearl Jam - Breath

Got a soft spot for PJ(just above my taint-no homo) However, I do sometimes feel like they make the same music over and over, and this song seems way too samey to some of their other stuff for me. So sorry but tyhis is not any more than a 6/10

Dante Spears

Taylor Swift- Long Live

I dont know I used to love Taylor Swift, and Im not really sure why, but I just kinda don't anymore. The chorus of this is nice, and it's all unoffensive to my ears. 6/10

Charlie Drake-My Boomerang won't come back

yeah I like the didgereedoo or whatever music, and it was funny but no. 4/10

Springsteen

The Primitives-Thru the flowers

Yeah this was nice I moved my head to it as it played. It wasn't offensive, vocally it was kinda saccharine but not in a bad way. 7/10

The Ramones- Sheena is a punk rocker

Dude it's The Ramones. I love the Ramones and this song is a top three Ramones track for sure. 10/10

[video=youtube;UZpYuNMxFYA]

[video=youtube;ZobdNXT0Za0]

F*ck that intro. Its already turned me off this song. OK, the vocals are pretty decent, but overall this is just proper **** rock. Not a fan I have to say. 4/10

Alestorm - Keelhauled

Hehe, quite likeing this. Ouch, then the singing... still as a not serious track its OK, I can imagin it on a kids show about pirates. :lol

6/10

Its got a very 'Pistols' feel. Yeah this is more like it, this is the right way to not sing a song, far better than the growly screamy shit. 7/10

I always have time for Death of the Endless. Toe tappingly enjoyable. In fact theres nothing wrong with this at all. 8/10

Well its no feelgood hit of the summer, in fact this is rather dull. The guitars doing my head in as well. Hated it. 2/10

Pearl Jam - Breath

Its OK, but it faded into the background. I know I was trying to listen to it, but I found it easy to just have on and forget about. Its one of those tracks that just fills in the spaces. If you get me. And thats a good thing! 8/10

Taylor Swift- Long Live

Bland, inoffensive, boring. Its not horrible, in fact I bet that I could come to like it, but after listening to Tori Amos I just wanted more from a female solo singer. :lol 5/10

Hello my daarrrlins! And its the 'racist' version. Oh dear. :lol

Its just not a funny song, lets be honest. 0/10