Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Random Fight Forum News and Comments

Guest Saz

Guest Dusty Finish
So many people pissing and moaning about Diaz coming off a loss and a suspension to get a shot at GSP...its funny. Who cares?! GSP/Diaz is a money fight, UFC is a business. More people want to see Diaz/GSP than Hendricks. Its really not hard to work out.

Yeah, UFC is a legit sport, but it can also be booked like pro wrestling when needed, and thank God it can because Diaz/GSP > Hendricks/GSP every single mother f*cker of the week!

I've seen no evidence for this. There are people about who vocally prefer the Diaz fight, but not any great numbers that even match those who openly express that they think it's bollocks, let alone outstrip them. Who's to say 100% of those that "prefer" the Diaz fight won't watch the Hendricks fight regardless? It's Georges St Pierre, when has he ever not delivered the goods in terms of box office that I and most couldn't give a toss about? Is 17 extra buys really worth making yourself (Dana White, who has crowed about credibility, rewarding winners & finishers, and ragged on other sports for doing precisely this) look a hypocrite over?

As far as Diaz/GSP > Hendricks/GSP goes, if anyone honestly wants to see a fight where the challenger has literally zero chance of winning, over a fight where the challenger poses two legit questions once Herb Dean shouts "Lets do it", on what seems to be the grounds (and I genuinely hope someone can indulge me with a different reason) that the challenger in the former fight will drop a couple of "entertaining" lines in the free-to-view build-up, then call the champ "p***y" or "b***h" regardless after losing, then I'm afraid I genuinely don't have a clue where they're coming from or what to tell them.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put out a theory that WrestleMania might hurt the UFC card, it's certainly the only WWE show that would have a chance of doing so. If I were the UFC I'd at least try and aim to book shows away from WrestleMania fortnight.

I'm not going to complain about the Diaz decision because I fully support the Sonnen decision (although there are far more good reasons for Jones v Sonnen), I agree with DF though in that Jonny Hendricks had better be in fighting shape because I can see Diaz dropping out in some hilarious manner.

Guest John Hancock
I asked it the other way round, because I think there's more WWE fans who also quite like MMA than there are MMA fans who also quite like WWE.

Guest The Beltster
I've seen no evidence for this. There are people about who vocally prefer the Diaz fight, but not any great numbers that even match those who openly express that they think it's bollocks, let alone outstrip them. Who's to say 100% of those that "prefer" the Diaz fight won't watch the Hendricks fight regardless? It's Georges St Pierre, when has he ever not delivered the goods in terms of box office that I and most couldn't give a toss about? Is 17 extra buys really worth making yourself (Dana White, who has crowed about credibility, rewarding winners & finishers, and ragged on other sports for doing precisely this) look a hypocrite over?
You've seen no evidence? So on the other hand you've seen a ton of evidence to suggest the majority of fans are chomping at the bit for GSP/Hendricks? ok...Well I dunno what to tell you. I'm seeing alot of people interested in it, and on the other hand, I dont think I've EVER seen a single person getting amped up over GSP/Hendricks. And that logic is dumb, just stupid. I'd watch GSP/Hendricks regardless, doesnt mean I wouldnt be more interested in and prefer GSP/Diaz, so whats your point? I bet you that GSP/Diaz does far better on PPV than GSP/Hendricks, by a wide margin. 50,000 - 100,000 difference I reckon. Hardly 17 buys, is it? And seeing as you are certain GSP will walk through Diaz, Hendricks is surely next for him seeing as he is petrified of Anderson, right? So we'll be able to compare their PPV numbers and see for ourselves.

I doubt the majority of fans will be worrying about calling Dana White a hypocrit and more interested in watching the probable awesome build for GSP/Diaz and the babyface putting a beatdown on the villain alot of people want to see as the outcome.

As far as Diaz/GSP > Hendricks/GSP goes, if anyone honestly wants to see a fight where the challenger has literally zero chance of winning, over a fight where the challenger poses two legit questions once Herb Dean shouts "Lets do it", on what seems to be the grounds (and I genuinely hope someone can indulge me with a different reason) that the challenger in the former fight will drop a couple of "entertaining" lines in the free-to-view build-up, then call the champ "p***y" or "b***h" regardless after losing, then I'm afraid I genuinely don't have a clue where they're coming from or what to tell them.
Aside from catching GSP, what legit threat does Hendricks pose? He is far less skilled in every area to Georges...so? You think this is a guy that wont get taken down time and time again like Diaz? You are making out this guy has some great chance of beating Georges, based on what? KO wins over guys like Fitch and Kampmann, who arent even close to the level of GSP? Or split decision wins over Pierce and Koscheck, who has looked washed up for a while and who Georges picked apart with ease? And in reality, I'd have said Kos won that fight, bad call.The guy who lost to f'n Rick Story! We are talking such a drastic step up in competition, Hendricks is going to be way out of his depth, he will end up on his back just as much as Diaz does. So its not like you are making out at all in my opinion, seems more like sour grapes from a guy who personally dislikes Nick Diaz than anything else.

And just so you know, you dont have to "tell me" anything to make me feel ok about wanting to see Diaz over Hendricks. It might not be your preference, but that doesnt make it wrong. Get over yourself bro, oh mighty oracle of MMA know-how! :lol

EDIT: Just found this video and its relevant, GSP himself says "Waaaayyyyyy more people will watch this fight than vs Hendricks!" when talking about the Diaz fight. I couldnt agree more.

[video=youtube;T_WLg_vvYns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T_WLg_vvYns#!

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jimmy Redman
I wonder if this show will hurt WrestleMania seeing as they're so close to each other.

Three weeks is a pretty big gap, I dont think there's ever been an instance of shows that far apart affecting each other. The day before is the only case where it has happened. Not to mention they're in different months so presumably on different bills, different pay packets, and not the day after a big get together with your UFC buddies.

Also, Wrestlemania 29 will be far, FAR stronger than Wrestlemania 26 and its entirely possible that GSP/Diaz wont do any better than GSP/Hardy.

So no, I dont think so.

Guest John Hancock
Three weeks is a pretty big gap, I dont think there's ever been an instance of shows that far apart affecting each other.

Oh it's that's far apart? In my head, I'm used to WrestleMania being late March/early April.

• 2 weeks later...
For all British MMA, Paul Daley's career in the states could very well be over. He was arrested following a bar fight and the charges could mean he faces two years in prison. He's been officially removed from the Bellator 170 Ibs tournament and currently is barred from entering the United States

Guest John Hancock

Dana's saying he wants the UFC's 20th anniversary show at Madison Square Garden. Hmm.

EDIT: Dana's so confident that he's already booked the arena for November. Huh, just in time for my birthday then.

Also, Anderson Silva has signed on for a minimum or ten more fights.

Edited by John Hancock