Martial Arts

UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading :lol

Going against the grain and calling a Mike Pierce win in this next.

Edit: Aww gutted Chris.

Edited by Magic

Guest Jimmy Redman
I was so scared that they would give the decision to Diaz after the late takedown, but I had Condit winning so I'm glad they made the right call.

What you make of Diaz claiming he's quitting?

I had Condit 48-47. It was close but Diaz didn't do enough in offense to warrant the win. Condit probably should have done more as well to be honest, it wasn't a great fight but I though Condit edged it just.

Guest The Beltster
I had Diaz winning rounds 1, 2 and gave him 5 due to the late takedown, before that I had the 5th even. So, I think Diaz won but I'm not shocked he didnt get the decision. His talk of retirement is nonsense and he'll fight again, and he'll eventually fight GSP, UFC arent stupid, they'll maneuver the guys into that fight.

CONDIT~!

BWAHAHAHAHA! I am such a happy man. Diaz is such a punk, whining and complaining about being screwed, threatening to quit because he lost, and generally being the immature baby I've always thought he was. Condit was superb, following a gameplan to perfection and landing strikes constantly whilst moving for five rounds to stay out of Diaz's reach. You could say he was backing up but he was always moving back to the centre of the cage.

I had it 48-47 giving Diaz rounds 1 and 5, and I just hope Diaz stands by his words for once and gets the hell off my TV screen.

Those knees that Nelson took were brutal, the man is a machine for still standing by the end. Werdrum never looked in trouble for the loss, but Nelson was awesome for just continually coming back for.

Guest The Beltster
Condit was superb.
Bit of an overstatement there I reckon. He was far, far, farrrr from superb. He won an extremely dull and boring fight by a very close margin that could have gone either way. He did nothing that looked great and if he shows up and fights this way against Georges he may as well hand him the fake belt before the fight and go home.

Guest The Beltster

I didnt dislike it and I can appreciate a good gameplan being played out to get the 'safe' win. GSP does it in every fight, its just not exciting to watch.

This is why I love watching Akiyama fight, he is more interested in having a great fight than he is winning, which usually results in him losing which obviously isnt a smart business decision, but as a fan who doesnt care about their business decisions, I prefer to see guys who go out there to swing and scrap rather than guys who like to play it safe to get the win.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Dusty Finish

Yeah, I'm with you, Paul. I thought the potential differences in perception throughout kept things on a knife edge. Diaz is absolutely hilarious.... "waaah, I'm quitting because Condit didn't stand in front of me & let me hit him". That one takedown didn't count for a fat lot either, seeing as how Condit kept him from committing to a particular sub attempt, and it wound up with Condit in top position anyway. I wonder if this had been GSP winning a decision (who would take Diaz down for fun), how much takedowns would count for in Nick's eyes then. Condit counterstruck like a machine for 4 & a half rounds- Jackson & Mike Winkeljohn had Diaz's stalking & "pace-pushing" well sussed.

How incredible was Nelson-Werdum compared to expectations going in? Fabricio Werdum throwing front kicks & wheel kicks?! That first round plum clinch was beautiful. Most diverse performance of Werdum's career, and I'm actually interested to see him have a run at the big three now. Between this & the JDS fight, I shudder to think what long term damage Nelson is doing to himself in continuing to fight these massive dudes.

Like Chris, I've long since had my fill of Mike Goldberg. However, if he is going to be there, at least the compu-stats give him something different to say, other than busting out a succession of word-for-word self-cliches he first busted out between UFCs 22 and 40.... and some corn company now sponsoring the corner cam kept him fresh- the bloke mustn't have slept much on Friday night with that hanging over his head.

Guest John Hancock

Disappointed :(

GSP's going to demolish Condit though. The rule of number one contenders is, if you can only win the number one contender fight by a very close decision, no way are you beating the champion. As was Sonnen, as is Condit.

I don't buy Diaz's retirement either, this isn't even his first "retirement" in the last twelve months, this is just the sort of thing he does whenever he doesn't get his way.

Guest ajkennedy

Some mild amusement at Condit's wiki page having unanimous (via running away) in the win column. Was optimistic that it was going to be foty but whatever can't have everything.

Have fun hyping up Condit and GSP fight on prime time, 2 mega personalities right there. Favour GSP, unless his knee really does mess up his 'spring'.

Diaz still comes across as one of the most interesting guy in mma. Like many, huge fan of the guy. He won't quit, as he will have nothing left to do. I don't think triathlons pay as good as UFC headliners. Should be interesting who he fights next.

How on earth did Werdum v Nelson get fight of the night. 65k to fix Roys face.

And Pierce won the first 2 rounds.

I don't think it's impossible Diaz will move on. He's rightly talked about the lack of money in MMA before and if he is going to be swayed by money, it makes sense for him to go to boxing. He made $200,000 for the win against Penn with a $75,000 bonus on top of that. That's not a lot of money for someone with such a high profile. If he goes into boxing, he could sign with a good promoter, get put on a few undercards against easy opposition and within 10 fights, could get a world title shot for 10x the amount he's ever made in MMA. He's not a good enough boxer to go down the usual route of beating joruneymen, gatekeepers, top 10 level fighters and then get a world title shot, but if he signs with a good promoter, they could pad his record and get him a title shot without him ever fighting an opponent with a pulse. If he did that, he'd earn massive amounts of money. Kimbo Slice is a garbage fighter but if he extends his 3-0 record with another, say, 12 wins, it's entirely plausible he could get a world title shot where he'll earn more money in that one fight than he would signing a ten fight deal with the UFC.

Diaz is 28, he's had a set back and if he is going to get a shot at GSP, it'll be when he's close to the end of his career. He's already on the downslide. If I was him, I'd just cash out and hopefully make a few million before retirement.

Guest The Beltster
Diaz will make over a million bucks for this fight against Condit, he'll get paid even more for a fight with GSP which will happen. GSP wants Diaz, he has the stroke to make sure that fight happens, I wouldnt be shocked if GSP comes back and asks for a fight with Diaz before he goes for his title against Condit.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, anyone main eventing a UFC PPV, especially in a title fight, is making a million behind closed doors when you factor in sponsorships, media money, locker-room bonuses and things like that.

Guest John Hancock
I have a really hard time calling fights when I really like one guy involved, because I don't trust myself enough to be bias, but I just gave the main event a second watch, and I still give it to Diaz, first, second and fifth against the third and fourth. I'm totally okay with people calling it for Condit though, that fifth round is totally up to personal interpretation, Condit had better striking, but Diaz had a takedown and was a minute or so from a rear naked or a body triangle arm bar, so I went with that as being more decisive in me making my choice.