Martial Arts

UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Diaz has always been known as a guy who eats alot of shots while he's wading in attempting to land bombs of his own. Condit fought a very clever, very safe fight to ensure the win, cant blame him, but there is no denying he was running away like a little bitch who was afraid to actually stand and fight because he knew if he did, he'd have been knocked spark out.

GSP does the same, he's the greatest fighter in the world....who doesnt actually fight and never finishes anybody. Good for him. I have no earthly idea why anybody thinks he's a better fighter than Anderson Silva, the greatest MMA fighter on the planet who actually finishes almost all of his fights while still using great tactics. You can be a clever fighter and not be boring, GSP hasnt mastered that yet and in that fight, Condit hadnt either.

Dull.

Guest Frank Botch

''Had I thought I wasn't ahead, I'd have chinned in and finished that arm lock''

Makes perfect sense. As much as saying you're retiring because you opponent won't stand still and let you punch him. And saying he didn't land anything:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lrNegm5HNbw/Ty4apz3XglI/AAAAAAAAHxU/3UW3ym7_An0/s1600/24.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DMWOOXBmsxs/Ty4akugpoAI/AAAAAAAAHw0/-OCo91AilTE/s1600/20.gif

He got beat by a better fighter, a guy who could actually think in there instead of just throwing punches, and he's moaning like a baby. He's the one coming out of this looking like the bitch. Maybe he could fight Bonnar or Griffin at catchweight? That would be a true classic.

This guy was mad. Evidently.

[video=youtube;ZVyJt94u_VU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyJt94u_VU&

Guest Jimmy Redman

I do have to say though, not to excuse Diaz but there is something to be said about cornering. I know its some sort of primate, masculine tendency to put the bluster up instead of admitting weakness, as well as a sporting tendency to always encourage and support your teammates, but what I really dont understand is when the cornermen of a guy like Diaz are there saying "Yeah, no worries, you're ahead, keep doing this..."

Like, Diaz could have been winning on cards theoretically, but equally so could have Condit since it was a super, super close fight, and when there's even a subtext of "Dont push the pace or try to finish because you'll win the decision" in their words, when there's absolutely no guarantee of that and in fact he was losing the fight, there's...I dont know.

Its not just this fight, I see it every so often and it just baffles me. Like, you'd rather him lose than tell him the truth about how the fight is going before he goes into the fifth?

Guest John Hancock
I guess that's what happens when you're effectively in a kickboxing match, and your only cornermen are a jujitsu black-belt and the guy from The Hills Have Eyes.

Guest Frank Botch
The best cornerman advice I've ever heard was... whoever was in Penn's corner against Edgar. Went something like this: '' Knock this little cocksucker out'' I mean yeah good advice but... how exactly?

Guest The Beltster
Does anybody else hate Jay Glazer's guts as much as I do? This big, goofy clueless pr*ck gets on my tits every single time I see his face or hear his voice.

Guest Dusty Finish
I actually gave "octagon control" to Condit, seeing as how Diaz clearly spent 4 1/2 rounds trying to draw exchanges into close-range quarters and back Condit into the fence, while Condit's constant lateral movement ensured that this didn't happen, and exchanges remained central & Diaz out of range, which is where Condit wanted the fight to be.

Guest Jimmy Redman
Yeah I dont see how Octagon control goes to Diaz since he tried to control it and failed pretty clearly. Just because a guy is moving forward doesnt necessarily mean what he's doing is effective.

My favourite corner advice was the head trainer at Wolfslair's tips to Rampage when he was fighting Jones.

He just spent the whole 60 seconds saying "FIND YOUR RANGE" in a broad scouse accent. Rampage, alas, did not ever find his range.

Guest John Hancock

The UFC did a poll on how people called the fight at posted the results as a map;

http://middleeasy.com/images/stories/Author_Zeus/2012/02.5/diaz_condit.jpg

47% each!

Guest Jimmy Redman
Before the 5th round

Somebody says: What do you think. Maybe Nick

Nate: No. No, no, no, no, **** that, you got every round.

Somebody, maybe Nick (Although it doesn’t sound like him) says: "Don’t lie to me"

Nate: He might have got that last round but that’s it. You got the rest. You’re up three to one, okay? Rinse it out, take a drink. Let’s get a couple of ten second intervals in this one, ok? Whenever you want, whenever you’re ready.

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. It almost amounts to being irresponsible when you're affecting his chances to win.

All rounds except one were ridiculously close, they all could have gone either way. But Nate says he won them all, and even claimed he won Rd 4! Even if he believes that, its not like he doesnt know what judging is like, or what a close fight looks like. How does he not tell him that the fight is too close and he should try for a finish in case those f*ckin' judges screw us? Telling Diaz he was set going into the fifth, when he clearly wasnt, its just screwing the guy.

He got the takedown, he was looking for subs, if he'd felt more urgency he could well have pushed harder or taken him down earlier or something and pulled something out.

Re-match being signed on Friday for a show later in the year. Absolute bullshit, this is weak promoting by Dana who seems to be giving in to a combination of the lack of available main events, Diaz and his camp's constant whining and the internet fans thinking they're more important than the actual judges and trolling Dana on Twitter until he gives in.

I have never wanted anyone to win a fight more than Condit beating Diaz in the re-match.

Guest The Beltster
Its only bullshit if you have an anti-Diaz bias, which you obviously do. It WAS a close fight with people split over who won, GSP wont be ready until at least November, they have alot of shows needing main events, Diaz deserves a rematch as much as Maynard did (and got) with Edgar. How you can say its bullshit is beyond me. You're only logic for that is you are worried Diaz will win the rematch and dont want that to happen, if you had confidence in Condit to beat him again you should be happy Condit is getting his chance put any doubts to rest. If he beats him again, he has nothing to prove.

From the other side its common knowledge that Dana wanted Diaz vs GSP, so now hes giving Diaz another chance just because he lost. If you look at ti like that then its bullshit. Me, I dont care, I want to see if Diaz will come in with an answer to Condits tactics, and if Condit changed his gameplan.

Guest The Beltster
From the other side its common knowledge that Dana wanted Diaz vs GSP, so now hes giving Diaz another chance just because he lost. If you look at ti like that then its bullshit. Me, I dont care, I want to see if Diaz will come in with an answer to Condits tactics, and if Condit changed his gameplan.
Yeah but thats good business because not only does Dana want GSP/Diaz, 95% of fans want that too. It's not bullshit if you look at it in the overall sense. Take every single thing into the equasion (close fight with split decisions on who won, need main events, dont want to leave the Welterweight belt idle for 10 months, preference for a Diaz/GSP fight, Condit gets a chance to shut everybody up) then its not even close to bullshit, no moreso than Maynard getting a rematch with Edgar and nobody had a problem with that.

Taking everything into account, this is the best plan. What else could they do apart from having Condit sit for almost a year? Have him fight the next contender and have Diaz fight Coscheck was an option which I'd have preferred but that wont result in the Diaz/GSP fight that everybody (almost everybody) wants to see. This is a sport, but its a business, its run on smart business decisions. This is definitely one of them.

And if Condit can beat Diaz again via the chickenshit strategy, good for him and he'll go on to get mauled by GSP :lol

Guest ajkennedy
Re-match being signed on Friday for a show later in the year. Absolute bullshit, this is weak promoting by Dana who seems to be giving in to a combination of the lack of available main events, Diaz and his camp's constant whining and the internet fans thinking they're more important than the actual judges and trolling Dana on Twitter until he gives in.

I have never wanted anyone to win a fight more than Condit beating Diaz in the re-match.

Oh my, calm down. You sound like the equivalent of a bad Diaz fan, get over it.

Who else was Condit going to fight? Hendricks? Ellenberger? No-one cares about those match ups. The problem with this performance is no one will buy a PPV with Condit until he fights GSP. Or Diaz.

He'll get a great pay day, and he feels confident enough to beat Diaz again.

As Paul said I'm very interested to see how Diaz comes into this one. Maybe he'll have a game plan this time.:eek