Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit

Guest John Hancock

Its only bullshit if you have an anti-Diaz bias, which you obviously do. It WAS a close fight with people split over who won, GSP wont be ready until at least November, they have alot of shows needing main events, Diaz deserves a rematch as much as Maynard did (and got) with Edgar. How you can say its bullshit is beyond me. You're only logic for that is you are worried Diaz will win the rematch and dont want that to happen, if you had confidence in Condit to beat him again you should be happy Condit is getting his chance put any doubts to rest. If he beats him again, he has nothing to prove.

First of all the Maynard/Edgar argument has absolutely no relevance, their fight was a draw and this fight was a unanimous decision victory for Condit. A better example of this situation would be the Shogun/Machida fight and subsequent re-match, but there are differences in the two scenarios. Firstly everybody, including members of Machida's own camp, said that Rua deserved to win the fight, Dana was adamant that Rua was screwed and initiated the re-match because of it.

In the Condit/Diaz scenario Dana immediately agreed with the decision that Condit was the winner. If the promoter doesn't see there to be a problem with the result then what grounds are there for a re-match? There are close fights all the time and fights that have far worse decisions than this one that have never been re-matched, Bisping vs. Hamill comes to mind as a high profile fight that was a terrible decision but was never repeated. The only answers I can think is what DS said, that the result didn't go the way the UFC wanted it to and are using the close, albeit unanimous decision verdict to force through a re-match to try and get the winner they want this time. The alternative is that this is a way to placate Diaz and stop him from more of his tantrums and threats of retiring.

Yes I don't like Nick Diaz in the slightest, and if I had it my way I would never watch him fight again, but this whole thing seems very suspicious to me which is not something I want to feel. I'd be willing to bet that if it was Diaz that had won the fight 48-47 and there were complaints that Condit should have won that this re-match wouldn't be taking place, and it's at that point that the bullshit I spoke of becomes apparent. It should also be noted that I don't like Greg Jackson either, and the fact I'm supporting one of his fighters is distressing me.

EDIT: Whilst I think of it the sensible thing to do would be to make the re-match the Main Event of the next FOX show, at least then the show would have a decent headline fight and it would do more good for the eventual GSP unification.

Edited by Chris2K

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
Who else was Condit going to fight? Hendricks? Ellenberger? No-one cares about those match ups. The problem with this performance is no one will buy a PPV with Condit until he fights GSP. Or Diaz.
Yeah exactly, I 100% agree. Ellengerger has a fight coming up, if he loses, thats him out, you cant make a match before another one has happened as we obviously just learned with Diaz/Condit. Hendricks? Yeah, thats a big name main event thats going to sell tickets and buys right? Come on. Like you said, the big payday for Condit was a fight vs GSP, thats a fact. He would have just sat out and waited for it which would have been the smart thing to do and which is what his camp would have told him to do. Sit out and wait for that guarenteed massive payday complete with huge PPV bonuses. Why take a fight with friggin Hendricks, which will mean nothing and which nobody will care about and risk losing your belt and your huge payday with GSP. At least with the Diaz rematch it has a name, people will be interested and Dana will have sweetened the money pot for Condit to want to take it. You cant sweeten the monet pot for Condit for him to fight Hendricks or Ellenberger because those fights wont make any money in the first place.

Guest The Beltster
First of all the Maynard/Edgar argument has absolutely no relevance, their fight was a draw and this fight was a unanimous decision victory for Condit. A better example of this situation would be the Shogun/Machida fight and subsequent re-match, but there are differences in the two scenarios. Firstly everybody, including members of Machida's own camp, said that Rua deserved to win the fight, Dana was adamant that Rua was screwed and initiated the re-match because of it.

In the Condit/Diaz scenario Dana immediately agreed with the decision that Condit was the winner. If the promoter doesn't see there to be a problem with the result then what grounds are there for a re-match? There are close fights all the time and fights that have far worse decisions than this one that have never been re-matched, Bisping vs. Hamill comes to mind as a high profile fight that was a terrible decision but was never repeated. The only answers I can think is what DS said, that the result didn't go the way the UFC wanted it to and are using the close, albeit unanimous decision verdict to force through a re-match to try and get the winner they want this time. The alternative is that this is a way to placate Diaz and stop him from more of his tantrums and threats of retiring.

I totally disagree, the fact it was a draw compared to this isnt the point, there are three judges opinions which are the only official opinions that count, no doubt, but the Edgar/Maynard fight and the Condit/Diaz fight have the exact same thing in common: everybody else was split. But if you want to be picky, fair enough use the Shogun/Machida fight, makes no difference, the point is still the same. People are split over who won, everybody for the most part (apart from die-hard Condit or die-hard Diaz fans are saying they wouldnt have been surprised if the fight decision had gone either way.

And like you said, it didnt go the way UFC wanted it (or most fans if we are being honest), Dana is making the right business decision. Look, the fight was close enough where Diaz getting a rematch isnt unreasonable. If he had been finished or it was a complete 45/50 whietwash he wouldnt be getting it.

Yes I don't like Nick Diaz in the slightest, and if I had it my way I would never watch him fight again, but this whole thing seems very suspicious to me which is not something I want to feel. I'd be willing to bet that if it was Diaz that had won the fight 48-47 and there were complaints that Condit should have won that this re-match wouldn't be taking place, and it's at that point that the bullshit I spoke of becomes apparent. It should also be noted that I don't like Greg Jackson either, and the fact I'm supporting one of his fighters is distressing me.
I disagree, I think if the fight had come out the other way and fans were split, Condit would get a rematch. I think this rematch has as much to do with GSP not being able to fight until at least November as anything else. They need fights. Maybe if Diaz had won they would have put him in with Koscheck and not given Condit a rematch and in that case I'd agree with you, but I think Condit would be getting his rematch if the result was the other way around. There are as many fans saying Condit won as there are fans saying Diaz didnt lose.

EDIT: Whilst I think of it the sensible thing to do would be to make the re-match the Main Event of the next FOX show, at least then the show would have a decent headline fight and it would do more good for the eventual GSP unification.
I'm sure I read somewhere that that is what they are considering doing. Actually I think it was Meltzer who brought it up.

Guest Frank Botch
Keith Kizer, the Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission just sent this out regarding the drug testing for Saturday's UFC show, which corresponds with the talk on last night's Observer radio show:

"I am still waiting for all steroid and drug test results to come back. We did have at least one positive test. I will send out an email later today on that matter.

Hmm, who could it be?

Whoever it is, he's not getting a rematch with Condit.

Although, slim as the chances are, it would be hilarious if it was Carlos.

I'm not laughing. Honest.

Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his controversial five-round clash with former WEC titleholder Condit at this past weekend's UFC 143 event.

That's according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, who today emailed the event's drug-testing results to MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com).

Diaz was one of 18 fighters on the card tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse. The remaining tests received to date have thus far all been negative.

From MMAJunkie.

One of the main reasons I hate Diaz so much is his weed habit (sorry to anyone who uses it but I'm strongly opposed to it being legalised) so this is just desserts as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Chris2K

Guest Frank Botch

Comical. I knew he looked too relaxed in there. Out for a year. Back just in time for a fight with GSP!

Nah even Dana wouldn't do that, he should be crawling to Carlos and thanking him for winning right now.

That's a shame from a neutral standpoint, I was looking forward to a potential rematch. Everytime I see a Sportsman get done for something like this I can't understand it. These guys, in any discipline, are PROFESSIONAL's. They know fine well they are going to be tested all the time. How can they be so stupid to risk throwing away great opportunities for a few smokes. It's crazy.

Guest ajkennedy

Is it one year suspension? The rematch would of been good, would of still picked Diaz to win if he actually stuck to a fairly simple game plan. I only support about 3 fighters, (as I find seeing who you support getting smashed in the head slightly worst than seeing my football team get beat) but Diaz is so much fun to watch. Couldn't care less about him smoking weed, part of the reason sooo many people like him is his appreciation towards it. I don't think we would of seen him for a while anyway. The guy loves to compite, but hates to fight. He has been saying this during his 11 or so win streak so god knows what he thinks of it now he's lost. Love him or hate him, the welterweight division world is revolving around Nick Diaz.

This has screwed over the UFC a lot though. After a string of great PPV's they have had a FOX show which everyone thought would be boring for the casuals (although I enjoyed), then a PPV which was OK but had a 'controversial main event' which the internet exploded about. They have a hell of a lot of events during the summer which Joe Silva would of had Condit v Diaz booked in for one of those.

I guess then if Ellenburger wins he'll fight Condit in the summer. 250,000 buys max? Any higher? There's no way Condit can wait for GSP. GSP has said that he'll be back for November, and with knee injuries they always end up longer than the fighter says.

Guest The Beltster
Back just in time for a fight with GSP!

Nah even Dana wouldn't do that.

Oh yes he f*cking would, and will! Are you kidding me? By the time this fight happens now, it will be even bigger than it would have been already! GSP vs Diaz will happen, no question about it.

Guest John Hancock
Diaz will have to win a fight first though, but they'll feed him someone easy. GSP will probably be back around November, December, then Diaz is back in February, so you've probably got just enough time for Diaz to have an arbitrary number one contenders fight with Josh Koscheck or Matt Hughes or someone like that with big name value, but who can't really do it anymore, and then you've got Diaz/GSP in the Summer.

Guest The Beltster
Well I see it going one of two ways, either he'll have to win a fight, possibly two (although doubtful, 1 max) or GSP will vacate his title and demand to fight him when he comes back instead of fighting Condit, and in that case, Nick wont have to win any fights. Either way, its going to happen.

Guest Frank Botch

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/673/napoleondynamiteufc143.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/xad/diazcondit.gif

danawhitebrazzers.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/nvr2tv.jpg