Martial Arts

UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
I said over and over, Sonnen wont get into the championship rounds. Silva is a different league of fighter than anybody else.

Guest Eddie
I said over and over, Sonnen wont get into the championship rounds. Silva is a different league of fighter than anybody else.

I was one round off with my TKO prediction dag nab it! knew it wouldn't go longer than the 3rd though, i watched the live stream of the Press Conference (post fight) Chael was acting respectful and very professional, i love how he handles a loss.

The better fight is gonna be between me and my dickhead mate who texted me "I can't believe Silva just won" at 6am this morning, spoiling the result for me. The massive pr*ck.

Is it actually worth me watching the fight now some bellend has ruined the result for me?

And congrats Belty, you called it. I think I'm done with UFC. I can't think of anyone entertaining left to watch now...

• Heart 1

Guest The Beltster

I dont think any fight is worth watching if you already know the result, even if its great and this wasnt a great fight.

Round 1 looked exactly like the first fight and then Silva defended all the takedowns in the 2nd and then picked him apart with strikes after Sonnen went for an ill advised spinning back fist and fell over his own feet.

As for interesting people to watch. I think there are plenty, really for me it comes down to wanting to see who can beat Jones for his fights will always get my attention. GSP/Nick Diaz will when it eventually happens.

Guest The Beltster

Not particularly :lol

I think what we saw last night was the difference between an injured Anderson fighting Chael and a healthy Anderson fighting Chael. He couldnt defend a single takedown in the first fight, plus Sonnen was roided up then too. This time, no roids for Sonnen, he gassed after the first round of holding Silva down and Silva stuffed all his attempts in the 2nd before picking him apart.

wasn't a bad ppv at all but I am over the moon that the massive a*****e lost, this was more when i raised my two middle fingers at magic when he started a lets go sonnen chant at our friends house, to which i kindly shouted sonnen sucks!

only bisping left in that division I could see that can bring a fight to silva, no one left after that. Good to see cung le get a win too, i like his style of kicks and strikes.

and i feel your pain dsrchris, just make sure he gets his ass kicked or spoil something as payback! :P

The guys a huge football fan and loves watching Match of the Day, so I may just spend the whole of next season texting him every result just as MotD is about to start. :lol

Y'know what, I forgot about Jon Jones. I'll probably still watch his fights. I didn't think Diaz was coming back? Everything I've seen or heard sounds like he's not coming back, but I guess that's mostly him throwing his toys out the pram at the moment.

I need an entertainer. That's why I liked Sonnen, the guy managed to talk me into the match, got me caught up in the hype. It's probably why I got so interested in Diaz, he just seemed like a bit of pr*ck, and they're always the most entertaining people to watch. I don't like GSP, so I could care less about his fights, and I can't really think of anyone else who it's worth me being bothered about?

Guest Jack

There is definitely a lack of stars for the UFC now, so it'll be interesting to see what the future PPV numbers are. They don't really have many fighters who are capable of headlining a PPV right now.

As for the fight, I thought it showed the difference between a champion and a challenger. In the first round, Silva was in Sonnen's position and he was calm, composed and did everything he needed to do. In the second round, Sonnen was out of his comfort zone and he quickly started to look flustered and when he was in a vulnerable position, got stopped. A complete different level of mentality right there. Silva was able to defend himself whereas Sonnen couldn't, and Silva was always calm and Sonnen wasn't.

I don't buy into the line that Silva is the greatest MMA fighter of all time but he is pretty special. He's a true champion.

Guest Frank Botch

I was dying at Anderson having his arm around Sonnen at the end, as if dude was a child. Chael just had to stand there all busted up.

Tito/Griffin was a bumfight in every sense of the word. Cody getting destroyed right in front of Ronda, nightmare. Wasn't a blow away card, loved the main event though.

Guest Eddie
Just out of curiosity, who do you think is the greatest mma fighter of all time then?

I would have to say you have a very strong argument there, a lot of people are down on Fedor after his 3 fight losing streak in Strikeforce but what he achieved in Japan in his prime was very impressive, It's hard to say who the greatest ever really is though, if you look back on who Fedor beat the toughest opponent in my opinion, was Big Nog which still stands to this day, most of his record is littered people who now arent that impressive when compared to some other fighters records, but at the time they all had strengths that posed threats but most didn't have a complete game, he had one of the most complete games in mma for years, silvas streak has been in the peak of MMA but also not in the strongest of divisions yet he beat top guys like franklinx2, hendo, sonnen x2, belfort, griffin, marquardt and okami, who all have more rounded games than a lot of Fedors opponents going up in weight in the process, but at the time Prides heavyweight division was arguably one of the strongest divisions in mma i just think the way both fighters aged has had a big effect on their careers with Fedor slowing down and silva seemingly improving since his pride days. But i'm rambling and debating this with myself here haha at the end of the day its a matter of opinion with fighters such as fedor silva gsp and the other greats they all have pro's and cons to their careers!

Guest The Beltster
Fedor was the greatest heavyweight, Silva is the greatest fighter overall in my opinion. You take into account age, Silva is still fighting and beating the best at 37 years old, Fedor hit an age and became crap overnight and was losing to jobbers.

Guest John Hancock
It's between Silva, Fedor and Rutten in the greatest of all time steaks for me. Fedor's role in that three depends entirely on how much PRIDE were involved in padding his record and intentionally screwing over his opponents.

Guest Eddie
You see i wanted to add the 'padding' allegations! But Bas and Anderson are my two all time fave guys so i agree wholeheartedly!

Guest Frank Botch

http://h9.abload.de/img/untitled-8n7yn5.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BwuoRaR04hw/T_kPjonxn1I/AAAAAAAALp8/IMn08ofIr14/s1600/2.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6tsquawSg1r304nno1_500.jpg

*dead* at the last picture.

Guest Frank Botch
Chael Sonnen coach Scott McQuarry today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) that Anderson Silva's second-round TKO of Sonnen is "an injustice," and he plans to appeal the bout's official result.

"Obviously, there were minor infractions of grabbing shorts and greasing himself up," McQuarry said. "But the knee to the face ... I've looked at it from numerous angles. I can see where it hit his face. It did slide down to his chest. But that should be considered a no-contest.

"What I'm looking for is a rematch."

Silva vs. Sonnen II headlined UFC 148, which took place this past Saturday at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and aired live on pay-per-view.

McQuarry said he's contacted Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer to find out the steps for an appeal and has yet to hear back.

"Anybody can file an appeal, but as you know, the referee's decision is final," Kizer told MMAjunkie.com while on his way to the 2012 UFC Fighters Summit to discuss therapeutic-use exemptions. "He's the sole determiner that the knee was a lawful strike, and then he stopped the fight thereafter after the additional strikes. I don't know what the legal basis would be."

Sonnen manager Mike Roberts said he had no knowledge of a pending appeal and said he thought "somebody is making it up."

Silva's camp, meanwhile, believes Sonnen's coaches are focused on the wrong thing.

"I should appeal his coaching staff, and maybe his coaching staff should do a better job of coaching their athlete," Silva's manager, Ed Soares, today said. "Instead of focusing on appealing something so little, maybe he should attend an Anderson Silva seminar or something."

An attempt to reach Sonnen, who is currently at the summit, was unsuccessful. McQuarry said he informed the fighter of his plans on Sunday and sent him a picture of the knee that set the fight's end in motion.

"His response to me specifically was, 'Yeah, I knew that all along. I bit my tongue,'" McQuarry said. "And he had told me after the fight that it was a knee to the face."

McQuarry said two NSAC athletic inspectors also informed him post-fight that the knee was illegal.

"Going into the cage after the fight, I was accompanied by two representatives of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and they both turned to me and said, 'You realize that was an illegal knee,'" he said. "It's pretty obvious to me."

Kizer, however, said he and NSAC chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino approached the fighter backstage at his post-fight doctor's examination, and Sonnen did not indicate he wanted to appeal.

Sonnen tumbled to the mat after missing a spinning backfist, and Silva fired off the knee in question before Sonnen returned to his feet and was felled by more punches that prompted referee Yves Lavigne to wave off the bout at the 1:55 mark of the second round. The win was Silva's 10th consecutive title defense and 15th overall victory inside the octagon.

Suspicion over the knee's legality was quelled by replays of the stoppage inside the arena, though it has lingered online as some have questioned whether Silva used the fence for leverage in throwing the strike. (Kizer clarified that a fighter is not allowed to use the cage for leverage in throwing a knee to the body of a downed opponent, but stressed that in the case of this past Saturday, it was at Lavigne's discretion to rule whether Silva's strike was legal.)

Silva grabbed Sonnen's shorts at several points, and at one point, his hand was batted away by Lavigne. However, he was not deducted a point. (McQuarry noted that Sonnen once grabbed Silva's shorts, as well.) Immediately prior to the fight, cameras also spotted the champ wiping his arms and torso after receiving Vaseline from a cageside cutman, though Lavigne wiped the fighter down before the opening bell.

"(UFC executive) Lorenzo (Fertitta) came to me and said, 'Did you see that?' I said, 'Lorenzo, he does that every damn fight,'" Kizer said. "And Yves was ready for that and took care of it."

Regardless, McQuary wants the commission to look into it further.

"It was pretty evident to me that there was intent on Anderson's part to do an illegal knee, and I think he was trying to get disqualified still," McQuary said. "I think Anderson's hope the whole time was that he would do an illegal thing, he would get disqualified, and then I don't know what his plan was after that.

"But to me, it was extremely blatant, and it was ignored by the referee and everybody else and swept under the rug. And to add insult to injury, (UFC president) Dana White gives the 'Knockout of the Night' (bonus) to Anderson.

"I want to expedite this. I'm normally pretty quiet about this type of stuff, but when you see an injustice to this extreme and there's so much on the line, I feel compelled to say something. Where it goes, I don't know. To me, best-case scenario is we would get ruled a no-contest and we could have a rematch."

Pathetic.

I can see where it hit his face

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/brr9q/MISC/silva-sonnen-knee.gif