Fan Clubs (beta)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

BRM

The performances weren't the issue, the problem is the outright stupidity of the plot, [spoiler=plot details here]especially when it comes to Luthor, but also when Superman is apparently "responsible" for people being gunned down before he even arrives somewhere. It didn't get any better from there either. Metropolis and Gotham being so close makes no sense, Clark not knowing who Bruce Wayne is, the whole "making Batman fight Superman while I create Doomsday when my apparent motivation is to protect Earth from a rogue Kryptonian" Luthor arc, gah just so much of it. Down to the utterly nonsensical in context exchange about who Wonder Woman was with.

It annoys the crap out of me, because DC should at least be able to keep up with Marvel, considering they own the 2 biggest superhero properties, but they can't even get their biggest ace right (the Batman vs Superman concept is basically DC fellating the general public)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Watched it a 2nd time today, was even better this time, there so much in there to digest and it is a bit all over the place for the first hour but once you get the first dose and go back for a second, its much better. Really looking forward to the full cut with all deleted scenes included, I'm sure that will make it better still.

Shame the piss poor reviews seem to have put the public off seeing it as its bombed at the cinema in its 2nd week.

I didn't think he was great, just OK.

I was pleasantly surprised by the execution of Doomsday (and the teases of Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman), especially all three of them working together (and seeing battles in the background).

Batman was ACE.

Guest The Beltster

I could have done without those other three and just have concentrated on the trinity of BM, SM and WW. Then, right at the end they could have had BM and WW at the graveside and Bruce mention he's thinking about putting together a league or something kinda cheesy like that. Those clips of the others were weird, especially as it looked like Aqua Man was holding his breath.

As for Luthor, I'm one of the few who quite liked him, but thats only because I really don't like comic book Luthor. I think he's one of the most boring villains so if they had straight up calm, intelligent serious Luthor, I don't think I'd have cared for him one way or the other, but switching him up was fine, for me. If you're a fan of comic Lex though, I imagine movie Lex was the shits! :lol

I'm not one for reviews, and I can generally just take a movie for what it is, but there are so many irksome things that just pile up during the movie, even with my brain turned off, as it were.

On the plus side, most of the issues stem from the script writing/direction/production end and not the cast, though Luthor was off. Affleck did a sterling job as a war-wearied Batman, and it's by far the most nuanced version of the character we've seen on the big screen, to the point where they should have had a post-Man of Steel solo Batman film before Batman v Superman.

They're far enough into Batman's career that they could have done an partial adaptation of The Killing Joke (at the start) and A Death in the Family (which leads to the Robin suit in BvS and Batman's darker outlook). It would also have given Leto room to establish his version of Mr J, before Suicide Squad.

Edited by etz

Guest Jayfunk
Also think with soooooooooo many films like this coming out year in and year out maybe the public is getting bored of them. I for one am it would be nice for some more orginally concepts to get a chance or some quality book related work to be shot instead of terrible teen book films

I keep hearing this "soooo many" thing, when it's really not. This year, you've got Deadpool, BvS, Cap,Xmen,Suicide Squad and Dr Strange. That's one superhero every 2 month's, on average. Six movies, total. Only 2 of which are in the MCU, and let's face it, then MCU is the only "must see" player in superhero movies.

This year to date there have been more straight sci-fi movies (3) than superhero movies(2), shitloads more comedies, more war/terrorism action movies, 5 horror movies and, get this, more religious-based movies (2 biblical, 1 Egyptian).

In short, there is plenty of other stuff to watch, Superhero movies are a staggeringly small proportion of the films being made, they just do big box office (that said, Zootopia has made the most money so far this year).

Guest Jayfunk
One every two months is too many a year, I can remember it was like one every 2 years (rough estimate) it used to be a treat now it's not. Edited by Kam

Guest The Beltster

Man of Steel wasn't terrible, it was the shit! I liked it. Plus, the "Too many of the same genre" argument doesn't work, its never worked. Thats like saying you should only release one comedy every two years or its no longer a treat.

I think the numbers generally speak for themselves, if there were too many, they wouldn't be continually ruling the top of the box office and setting records. I mean look, even with scathing reviews, BVS has already topped $700 million and will likely finish anywhere between $800-900 million. Thats ridiculous money!

BVS was good, it wasn't perfect, but not many films are and when you are using a film to try and set up others, you always run into difficulty, they did a decent enough job though, the film was good, more to come please.

Guest Jayfunk
Would you say that a thriller every two months or a horror movie every two months is too many?

Superhero movies are basically the same. They are at times from the same universe also most other films aren't. I am sure that Hollywood cash in on these movies but just because a lot of people see it it doesn't make it good. Alot of people like Justin Bieber doesn't make him good.

Edited by Kam

If you genuinely think Deadpool (R rated Comedy with ultra violence), Ant-Man (a comedy heist movie), Iron Man (straight origin story), Captain America : Winter Soldier (political thriller) and Guardians of the Galaxy (comedy space adventure) are all "basically the same" then there is no hope for you.

And while the MCU is a shared universe, it's only 2 films a year, and you don't have to have seen any of the other films to be able to watch any of them, aside from, maybe the direct sequels (though I'd say you really don't have to have seen any of the other films to watch Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier, for instance).

And to clarify, Marvel isn't ruling the box office by default because they make superhero movies, they're doing it because they make good to great movies that happen to be about superheroes. They can manage this because they have tight creative control over their films, overseen by one man, Kevin Feige.

Warner/DC has gone the other direction and basically given the director scope to bury themselves. That's worked out great for them in the past, especially with Nolan's Batman, less well with MoS and BvS and horrendously like Catwoman.

DC has an advantage in that their characters are iconic in pop culture, especially Batman and Superman, but they've yet to really test themselves and succeed with lesser characters like Marvel did with Guardians and Ant Man. That said, they've had more poor to middling films than any other studio, with some horrendous Batman films, Green Lantern, Catwoman, Superman Returns, Jonah Hex etc.

Fox and Sony are the studios which seem to miss slightly more than they hit, with Spidey, Ghost Rider, Xmen, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Elektra,Deadpool etc. but not as badly as Warner/DC miss.

Superhero movies are basically the same.
If you want to get literal with it, the majority of movies are "basically the same" as there are only so many archetypes to tell, but etz nailed it with his description.

Besides, if there was audience fatigue, then these movies wouldn't make money and they (for the most part) do. Six movies out of literally hundreds per year is not overkill and those who say Hollywood have no originality aren't looking at the overall release slate too clearly.

• 4 months later...
Guest paidimartinez
I enjoyed it but it could be because I had such low expectations. I thought Ben Afleck was surprisingly good as Batman.