Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  36 members  ·  Free

Xbox

Xbox One Thread

King

This is just a thread for the new Xbox One when it comes out, your thoughts and opinions on it and the games you will be buying.This is not a thread for anti PS4 comments or anything PS4 related.

Xbox One release date: when is the new Xbox out?

Get your Christmas list ready becuase Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One will be released in time for the festive season. The Xbox One will be released on 22 November in the UK.

Xbox One specs

8 Core x86 AMD CPU

8 GB System Memory

500 GB HDD

Blu-ray Drive

802.11n Wireless with Wi-Fi direct

Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI in/Out, 1080p, 4K support, Optical out

USB 3.0

Xbox One Price in the UK

The price of a new Xbox One in the UK is £429

Will the Xbox One be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games?

At the moment, the situation is that the Xbox One will not be compatible with older Xbox 360 games. However, Microsoft has hinted that this feature may still be on the way.

"That's one of the things that makes [the cloud] at the same time both totally interesting and hard to describe to people. Because what the cloud can do is sort of hard to pin … Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box. We just have to figure out how, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience," said Microsoft Senior Director Albert Penello.

"The power of the cloud brings many possibilities on Xbox One. Albert was speaking theoretically about backwards compatibility as an example of the features the cloud could enable in the future," clarified Microsoft in a follow up statement.

Guest Ciaran The King
I'm very interested in getting this as I'm a massive Xbox fan. For me personally it's the preferred option for sports games. If I do get it I'll be going halves with my brother.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the big controversies leading up to Xbox One's launch is what's (unfortunately) being called "resolutiongate."

Major multiplatform games are running at a lower resolution on Xbox One than PS4, which calls into question the console's capabilities. Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer has defended Xbox One, saying gamers shouldn't focus on the numbers, but the experience.

"Go look at the games. Go play the games and tell us what you think about what they look. Right now, gamers don't have the games to go play. They can't walk into their local store and play the games. So, it doesn't really surprise me that they're going to focus on the specs that they can. I don't criticize anyone for doing that. In the end, we play the games, not the resolution," Spencer said.

Spencer isn't particularly concerned about Xbox One's latest scandal. He believes that once the system comes out, it will become less of an issue. "In absence of me getting my own Xbox One or PS4 games, I'm going to focus on the meme of the day, which happens to be resolutiongate," he said hypothetically. "But I think it'll blow over as people get to play the games."

But surely, Spencer must be somewhat concerned that Xbox One is seemingly less powerful than PS4? He argues that there are more factors to consider than just resolution. "Power is a subjective term. We look at all of the capabilities we put in the box, our investment in cloud, Kinect, and all-in-one entertainment, and our investment in the operating system for fast task-switching," he said.

"We think we've built a very powerful system. I don't think there's any one vector of power that you can focus on and say we win because this number is bigger than that number. It's like a car. Is it horsepower? Is it torque? There's a bunch of things that you look at to see what it's capable of."

"Our proposition with Xbox One starts with the games: we've got a great launch lineup of over 20 games. We've got some great franchises, great third-party relationships. And we've built a system that natively understands you and your entertainment. I think in the long run, our hope and bet is that power will play out and show people that everything they've learned about gaming on 360 can now augment everything they can do on their television."

"You look at high-end PC games right now. If you were just looking at screen resolution and framerate, you'd be a PC gamer. Because you can spend $800 on a video card and put it in. I've built those rigs. I can play those games. And I understand that. But that doesn't mean the best games are there. It doesn't mean it's the best all-in-one experience."

• 3 weeks later...

Xbox One 'Bricked' By Update, Users Claim

Hours after the launch of Microsoft's new console, some users say their machines have been rendered useless by technical issues.

Angry Xbox One users have reported technical problems that have prevented them from using their brand new consoles.

Some gamers say their machines have been "bricked" - rendered useless by a fault - after downloading a day one update.

A number of users have taken to social networks to complain directly to Microsoft or post screenshots and videos of the issues they have had.

The £429 Xbox One had been on sale in the UK for a few hours when the first complaints emerged.

Ryan Cage sent a series of tweets to Xbox support staff and said: "@Xbox found a way to turn a life-long fan into an inraged dissenter. All I needed was one bricked #XboxOne and zero actual support."

Another Twitter user messaged the @Xbox account to say: "no fun when your day one console bricked!"

Eager gamers queued for hours to get their hands on the console, which is expected to go head-to-head in a Christmas sales battle with PlayStation 4 after the Sony machine gets a UK release on November 29.

In some cases, those reporting the update issue have been faced with an E100 error message, which does not seem to have an easy fix.

Microsoft's Xbox troubleshooting internet site suggests that the only way to remedy the E100 issue is to send the console back to the company for repair.

Other users say they have found themselves stuck between messages telling them "It's time to update" and "There was a problem with the update".

Some Xbox owners have indicated that they have been able to get past the second problem and it is not clear how widespread the technical issues are.

Sony has faced complaints of "bricking" with early release PS4s, although Reddit users reportedly found a fix for the problem.

Guest The Beltster
Bugs fixed between the consoles being made and release.
Surely they shouldn't be releasing consoles they know have bugs and should hold off until they are 100% ready to go...

Guest The Beltster
Because its a shitty business practice, thats why not :lol Plus look at whats happening? People are taking the update and its f*cking up the machines, to they will have to pay to repair them.

I mean "why not" on their side. It is a shitty business practice, but as long as they can get away with it, it's really smooth sailing. And those who are all "I'll never buy your products again" will forget about this on the launch of the Xbox Two, or Infinity, or whatever and then get burned again. Vicious cycle. Devs don't care because they know they can get away with it. This is entirely why I refuse to buy machines on day-one. PS4 had their bricking issue (Though, smart arses on Reddit figured out how to fix that), they have some other issues to work out too. (Let's not forget PS2 had disc drive issues too, not sure about PS3 launch issues.)

The reason for the update is that originally when the X-Box One was being developed it was intended that it needed to be online ALL the time as well as having Kinect's camera on ALL the time plus not allowing you to play games previously played on any other X-Box One.

Microsoft got their backside handed to them over it as several loyal customers, including me, complained that we should need to have our console connected to the internet for it to work (for instance, what if I didn't want to sign in and instead just wanted to play a film in peace?), or to be constantly watched by a web cam that would scan our surroundings to tailor which adverts we would be shown via the dashboard never mind the fact that sometimes, at £40 to £50 a pop for a brand new game some of us might rent a game or buy pre-owned to save a few pennies. Considering it costs £429 to play the same franchises as on the old consoles just with slightly better graphics we are owed small pleasures after all.

So Microsoft decided to remove these features but to do it properly they would need to stall the release of the console unless they just instead rolled out an OS patch that downloaded when you first connect to the internet with the console turned on. You have to do this anyhow because in this generation of X-Box One, unless it is connected to the web it won't work anyway until the patch is downloaded.

That's why you need the patch, that's why it makes you download it and that is once more how MS as well as game developers keep on crapping on us. The first time I played Call of Duty Ghosts this year, a game that has been in development for two years, I needed to download a 60mb patch. Shocking.

I will buy a One eventually - but it will be next summer before FIFA comes out when the price has dropped, the launch issues resolved and when the games available now are not ones I can already play on my 360 much cheaper and with less hassle.

I may land up getting one of these at some point, since it can actually play streamed media from a DLNA media server. Like Gringo though, it won't be for a while yet. TBH, if the games I want keep coming out on PS3, I might skip this generation entirely and wait for the 4k consoles and TVs. More realistically, I'm hoping it'll be a year or two before something I have to have comes out as a current gen exclusive and I cave in and buy one.

I may land up getting one of these at some point, since it can actually play streamed media from a DLNA media server. Like Gringo though, it won't be for a while yet. TBH, if the games I want keep coming out on PS3, I might skip this generation entirely and wait for the 4k consoles and TVs. More realistically, I'm hoping it'll be a year or two before something I have to have comes out as a current gen exclusive and I cave in and buy one.
I doubt there will not be next-gen exclusives announced / released that are considered must-buys within the next six months.

Dead Rising 3 on XBox One, plus Infamous: Second Son, The Order: 1886, Resogun and the untitled Uncharted sequel on PS4 are already exclusives that a lot of people are considering as must-haves.

Guest The Beltster
Although it didn't get a good rating I was going to buy an XBO for Ryse alone, but I'll wait it out 6 months until a lot of the tech issues are sorted on both machines and all the games that are out now are cheaper then I'll probably buy both consoles.

I doubt there will not be next-gen exclusives announced / released that are considered must-buys within the next six months.

Dead Rising 3 on XBox One, plus Infamous: Second Son, The Order: 1886, Resogun and the untitled Uncharted sequel on PS4 are already exclusives that a lot of people are considering as must-haves.

Infamous: Second Son and The Order: 1886 are the only ones of those that make my "will definitely get it eventually" list. Had GTA5 or AC4 been exclusive to next gen, I'd have had one on pre-order.

Although it didn't get a good rating I was going to buy an XBO for Ryse alone, but I'll wait it out 6 months until a lot of the tech issues are sorted on both machines and all the games that are out now are cheaper then I'll probably buy both consoles.

It will probably take that long aswell for all the tech guys how to figure out how to get the new consoles flashed :lol