Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Boxing and MMA Forum Random Comments 2014

Guest John Hancock

Guest John Hancock

The UFC have announced their full Canadian live event schedule for 2014. Three pay-per-views, a Fight Night, and a TUF Finale. It's all on the schedule thread for those interested.

EDIT: Ariel Helwani is back on FOX Sports, and he's wearing Canadian mittens. Crisis averted.

Edited by John Hancock

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only female TUF winner Juliana Pena managed to tear her ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus and hamstring all in one go. She's likely to miss at least two years of action, but I'd be thinking that she might never fight again after that much damage.

Guest Frank Botch

Plot thickens, Dana on Pena:

"It’s the worst injury I’ve ever heard of, ever, in this sport, and you hear about those types of injuries in football," he said. "Apparently, when she came into the gym -- and again, she was hysterical when I talked to her, crying -- she was training in her gym and one of her training partners, a guy, was saying to her, ‘oh, you’re wearing your Ultimate Fighter shirt, we’re real scared.’ He says that and was talking smack to her and then basically attacked her.

"He jumped on her back, started cranking her neck, and the way she fell her knee blew out. The most disgusting thing I’ve ever heard in my life. A year-and-a-half to two years she’ll be out, and I told her to leave that disgusting gym and go somewhere else with new coaches, new training partners, whatever. And that’s all I know."

"It sounds like assault to me, but how do you consider it assault in a gym? You know what I mean?"

From the team

Pena was never "attacked" by some guy. She was training with a 135er that she trains with on a regular basis. He wasn't talking shit to her for wearing a TUF shirt, and if he was, it was light-hearted gym humor. They were rolling and he went for a move that he's hit on her a thousand times before and it just happened. Nobody is to blame, it was a training accident. Just like Dominick Cruz. Everyone knows how hard she is to train with cause she's so damn tough. She only has one female partner that can somewhat challenge her. Even on the show, she was training with guys on her team and, correct me if I'm wrong, they made a point to say how tough she is. She's Cyborg-esque, I guess you could say, minus the PEDs.

Were a very close knit team here in Spokane, she was training with someone that she's gone all the way to Canada to corner. She's held this guy's child, they are very close. This guy wasn't some attacker or whatever the hell she said. This whole thing is tearing our team apart.

The list:

Full-thickness tear tear of the anterior cruciate ligament at the femoral origin.

* High-grade partial versus full thickness lateral colateral ligament tear.

* Avulsion of the tibial insertion of the medial colateral ligament with proximal ligament retraction.

* Rupture of the biceps femoris tendon.

* Tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus.

* Moderate sized knee joint effusion.

Posterior horn torn and everything.

Guest John Hancock
Something very odd is certainly going on. I tend to believe White/Pena, because there's no real reason for them to lie about it, whilst there is a reason for the gym to lie.

Guest John Hancock
Fatty Johnson has resigned with the UFC. He'll fight Phil Davis at UFC 172 in the light-heavyweight division. What are the odds on him missing weight?

Guest John Hancock

Thiago Silva has been arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder (this charge was later dropped) and resisting arrest after attacking his wife with a gun inside a BBJ academy, threatening to have her assassinated, and to murder everyone else in the gym. He could only be taken into custody after the police tasered him. Dana White has already said he's banned from the UFC for life.

An ongoing dispute with his estranged wife led to threats at gunpoint before a well-known mixed martial arts fighter holed up inside his residence and was ultimately tased and arrested, officials said.

A Broward Sheriff’s Office arrest report released Friday outlines the allegations that put Thiago Silva, 31, in jail charged on two counts of attempted murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and obstruction without violence.

However, during a first-appearance court hearing, Silva’s attorney, Scott Saul, was able to have the attempted murder charges downgraded to aggravated assault with a firearm and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon after laying out his arguments to Broward Judge John “Jay” Hurley.

According to the report, Silva and his wife of 13 years, Thaysa Silva, separated in late 2012 but had been living together at their Oakland Park residence.

Thaysa Silva obtained a restraining order against her Brazilian-born husband following violent threats that were made on Jan. 30 of this year, the report said. Additionally, Thaysa Silva called 911 on Feb. 5 to say her husband was at the residence, threatening her again, despite the restraining order.

“I am going to hire someone to kill you and I am gonna move my girlfriend in,” the report quotes Thiago Silva as saying.

Shortly before 7:45 p.m. on Thursday, according to the report, Thiago Silva drove to the Popovitch Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Center, 777 E. Oakland Park Blvd., where his wife was training with her boyfriend, Pablo Popovitch. The report said Thiago Silva continuously honked his car’s horn.

Thaysa Silva told investigators that her husband appeared extremely intoxicated, was holding a Glock pistol and demanded she bring Popovitch outside or he would “go into the gym and start shooting everyone,” the report said.

After Popovitch went outside, he too was threatened at gunpoint the report said, before he and Thaysa Silva were able to run inside the gym, lock the door and call 911.

Thiago Silva then drove away in his Dodge Charger and went to the couple’s residence on Coral Heights Boulevard where he gave arriving deputies “the middle finger hand gesture” and went inside. Some three hours after a Sheriff’s Office SWAT unit was deployed, Silva came outside and was tased “for officer safety reasons” before being taken into custody, the report said.

Expressing concern about the nature of the allegations against Thiago Silva, his profession as a fighter and his ties to Brazil, Hurley ordered him held without bond.

“The court believes if you get to Brazil you’re not coming back,” Hurley said.

In a video posted on YouTube, Silva talks about his hard scrabble upbringing in Brazil and his reputation as a tough guy by people who don't really know him.

"People think I'm like an animal, very aggressive and like, insane," Silva told his interviewer.

~ Sun Sentinel (some local Florida news thing I think)

Edited by John Hancock

Guest Frank Botch

There's entirely too many Thiago's and Silva's in MMA (I don't know if I need an apostrophe there, let's be safe)

That is a crazy story.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today a modification to its live event bonuses. Effective immediately, UFC will award Fight of the Night bonuses to each of the fighters in the best fight of the night, as well as additional Performance of the Night bonuses to the two best individual performances on the card. The bonus amounts will remain $50,000. The Performance of the Night bonuses will reward the athletes who put on the best and most exciting individual performances.

I prefer this to be honest. Saves the situation where someone sloppy submission on a gassed out fighter earns a bonus just because it's the only submission of the night.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, makes sense for the reasons you said, people were getting money for a 5/10 submission on a card where every other fight was 9/10 knock out.

I liked the KOTN and SOTN bonuses in the sense that a guy on the prelims earning 8-16k for his fight, could end up tripling or quadrupling his money for a fantastic submission or a knock out.

I'm all for rewarding good performances, I just hope they distribute them fairly and not just to the guys already earning enough to cover their expenses and live comfortably.

Guest John Hancock
Gilbert Melendez might be on the way out of the UFC. He's technically a free agent right now and, according to Dana White, contract negotiations are going incredibly badly.

Guest The Beltster
Cormier wants to kill that guy right there and he doesn't care, he still keeps clowning DC to the host as she tries not to laugh. If this guy could fight the way he promo's, he'd be money. I much prefer this stuff than the boring old "I respect him and its an honour to fight him" bollocks that nobody cares about and that doesn't sell a single ticket.