Fan Clubs | beta

PC Gaming

King

Oh God, what I wouldn't give for a decent point and click game. I've already replayed Grim Fandango and Broken Sword, completed both Monkey Island Special Editions, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to play Day of the Tentacle again for the umpteenth time.

Boy is that ever a genre that could do with a resurgence.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
Why? Because a PC lasts years and doesn't cost £300 every 2 years as a new "next generation" console is released and suddenly no one plays the hardware anymore?
Consoles aren't released every 2 years...and a PC only lasts for years if you treat it like a money pit and continually upgrade and spend cash on it or else its outdated a few months after you leave the shop with it. A £500 PC after trying to keep up with gaming for the lifespan of a console (about 6-7 years at this point?) probably costs you a couple grand all in :lol F*ck that!

Anyway, PC gaming for me is pretty much restricted to point and click stuff and app style games. I prefer consoles not because I think they're better but its just easier. I like to buy a game, put the disc in and it plays, no having to worry if my computer can handle it, having to mess with settings just to get it to play without lagging, all that shit is tiresome, I dont have the patience with it all. So consoles are always going to trump PC gaming for me.

I dig playing the old Monkey Island and Sam n Max stuff on PC or Mac though, they have some cool stuff on Steam I've bought for my Mac, just not the top line stuff, I leave that for the console.

Maybe it's that I don't enjoy the games that typically are console games anymore. GTA is probably the only franchise I can think of that's made me consider if I'd get a console. I try and think of any game I play on the PC that could be more enjoyable on a console and I can't. Would I rahter play Skyrim on PC or console, PC. Would I rather play a game like planetside 2/COD on console or PC and it's PC. If GTA worked with my PS2 controller as it did on the console I'd still play on PC. Minecraft I don't even know how you'd find that enjoyable with a controller.

I also don't take any point that making a PC last costs more than buying two sets of consoles but I'm happy to agree to disagree on that point in the interest in getting the thread back on track.

Also, I echo everyone's love for the lucasarts SCUMM interface games. I've installed all the first 3 monkey islands repeatedly and love them.

I used to like just buying a game, sticking it in the console and playing it straight away....

...and then I bought a PS3. :lol

"Sure PS3, I'll wait a F*CKING HOUR for you to download an update for this game, it's not as if I wanted to lay it right away or anything...you pr*ck."

Back on topic, Sam & Max was awesome, I can't believe I forgot to include that. I think the last thing I played religiously on a PC was Unreal Tournament...I wanna say 2003, or maybe 2002? Whichever one had that badass lightning rifle that popped the heads clean off folks when you headshotted them with it. That was a great game. :D

EDIT:

Minecraft I don't even know how you'd find that enjoyable with a controller.

It's actually really easy. But then I haven't really played the PC version, so I have nothing to compare it to. I know the console version has a much simpler crafting interface, and NO HORSES, but I'm very happy with my xbox version thank you. :D

Although the temptation of getting the PC version just to grief Denton mid-grief is pretty damned tempting... :lol

Edited by dsrchris

I think the death call for Point and Click games back in the day was around 1997-98. We had the awesome Grim Fandango come out and like no one bought it at the time, no one.

Around that time Myst, Black Dhalia and the X-Files Game (on SEVEN disks) came out and people bought them instead, played them, realised they were buggy, crashed and well boring and the genre seemed to wane.

Shame really because the writing and craft that went in Sam & Max, Curse of Monkey Island and of course Grim Fandago was exceptional.

EDIT: Oh and the Westwood Studios PC game of Blade Runner (these are the same people who made C&C believe it or not) was genius as well. Sure it was over four disks, sure the film came out 16 years or so before it but the game itself was amazing.

Edited by Evil Gringo

There's still touches of it out there. In fact, Psychonauts was a pretty great game that had all the same comedy and writing elements, but that seems to have snuck under most people's radar for the most part. I recommend checking it out if you like Schaefer's other games.

Guest The Beltster
Minecraft I don't even know how you'd find that enjoyable with a controller.
I dont know how you'd find that sh*t enjoyable at all :lol

When i think of PC gaming i think of The Total War series, I had Shogun,Medieval 1 and 2, The Original Rome with both add on's. I also had Empire but my computer was no where near good enough so it kept crashing, i cant put into words how angry i was when it wouldn't work. I also play/played a lot of Championship Manager/Football manager with seasons 97/98 and 03/04 being the best, as well as alot of War Craft 2 and i don't know if anyone played this but a game called Ceaser 3?

Back on topic, Sam & Max was awesome, I can't believe I forgot to include that. I think the last thing I played religiously on a PC was Unreal Tournament...I wanna say 2003, or maybe 2002? Whichever one had that badass lightning rifle that popped the heads clean off folks when you headshotted them with it. That was a great game. :D

I loved that game, the weapons in that was so far ahead of it's time, I remember playing some Star Trek FPS game as a Klingon, it was fairly rubbish:D

yeah, a lappie isn't going to work really plus it's a stunning game if you have the grunt to turn up the graphics.

I'd seriously recommend you try Cardhunter.com on your lappie, seriously it's such a stupidly addicting game and if you have a little D+D exposure a lot of the humor is great, very much like Order of the Stick in a way.