Fan Clubs (beta)

The 2014 album thread

Guest Frank Botch

Guest Frank Botch

2013 is dead, Dubai blew it up I think. Not much going on yet but Drive By Truckers released a typically solid effort

[video=youtube;RURjjKFzU_8]

What's on your radar for 2014. Kanye and Frank Ocean are supposed to bring albums out around Summer. Closer to release are albums by Springsteen, Warpaint, Beck, Dum Dum Girls and Blondie(!). What are your longshots/hopes for the year? Like Radiohead could just come out with something tomorrow without letting anyone know. Would get pretty excited for a Kendrick album this year. Maybe a Joanna Newsom: Now Married release. Also the never ending wait for a new Avalanches’ album will continue

Avalanches’ second album timeline:

August 2006 – Modular Recordings issue a press release stating “it’s sounding like everything we dared not hope for, and so much more. They’ve made the record of their lives basically.”

January 2007 – The Avalanches post a message on their official site announcing, “It’s a really thrilling time for us right now as this record comes together, its so ****in party you will die, much more hip hop than you might expect, and while there is still no accurate estimated time of arrival, were sure you’re gonna love it when it arrives … much of last year was spent cutting up the spoken word/instructional records we need to tell the albums musical story, and we have some 40 odd songs we’re narrowing down and finishing.”

December 2008 – The head of Modular records, Steven “Pav” Pavlovic, claims he expects to receive the album on Christmas Day.

May 2009 – The band reportedly begins clearing samples.

January 2010 – triple j claims that the album will be released in October 2010. They later retract the prediction.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
The new Kanye album could turn out to be Watch The Throne II, which would keep me sexually satisfied for the rest of the year. Not too much else for me to get excited over just yet though from the looks of things. 2014 is still 2013 to me anyway. I'm so out of the loop, musically, that I missed out on new Bronx, The Dillinger Escape Plan and A Day To Remember albums.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Botch

20th of January for the new Warpaint

[video=youtube;OnuFYYJHaY0]

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks'('s) new album is pretty neat. Malkmus has been with the Jicks longer than Pavement for fans of uninteresting trivia. They have a song called Lariat on there which is a Hansen tribute I'd assume. Video is cool too, filled with manic pixie dream/nightmare types and French subtitles.

[video=youtube;zYC5JASqWnI]

Guest John Hancock

Not strictly an album, but NoFX have a new EP out. I was mildly impressed that it wasn't as shit as their recent albums, until it got to a part of the record that's a cover of one of their earlier songs, and it reminded me how good they were. After that, the rest of the EP looked pretty much as bad as the rest of their recent stuff.

[video=youtube;5wREcE9StEQ]

I think I read that Jimmy Page will be remastering Led Zeppelin I - III and that it'll come out late this year. Not bothered about that, they'll cost a load but they'll sure be some unreleased material on it, that Page probably stole, lol.

Guest Frank Botch

Really liking Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son by Damien Jurado at the moment, pretty relaxing stuff. Not much in the way of variety but he does his thing really well and it's only 30 minutes long so it doesn't outstay its welcome.

[video=youtube;A4sQz6Y5g88]

Guest Anime Otaku
Cibo Matto have an album coming out on the 11th of February called Hotel Valentine. Looks like it could be a concept album from the song list or it could just keep the Cibo Matto tradition of having a theme but no narritive, only been able to find some low quality cameraphone gig footage of "10th floor ghost girl" so far, but it sounds like they're going for a rock sound this time.

Collibus - The False Awakening. Really good prog/heavy metal band from Manchester-ish. Female vocals, heavy riffs and some really impressive shredding solos. Worth a check out if you're into that sort of thing.

[video=youtube;VZn938T8iK8]

Bruce Springsteen's High Hopes is pretty damn good. Tom Morello is on it and makes The Ghost of Tom Joad something even more amazing than it's ever been.

New Foo Fighters is coming too, which I welcome since Wasting Light was the best FF album since The Colour & The Shape.

Guest Frank Botch

Kinda a cheat but this awesome comp was released this year even (it's full of old stuff):

http://exystence.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Deathrock-300x300.jpg

I have no idea what genre of music this is but it rules:

[video=youtube;yf1c7iD8u-8]

[video=youtube;IBxoOXgo7s8]

Beck's album out on Feb 15th. Meant to be akin to "Sea Change" :xyx.

Cheers!

I'm real interested to see, or like hear, how this turns out, he seems to be a pretty happy dude at this stage, I guess it'll sound similar and have more optimistic lyrics.

• 4 weeks later...

This is insane! I don't really go for deluxe or super deluxe reissues but I'm sold and this will kill my bank account.

Superunknown20

This year, the band celebrates the 20th anniversary of this groundbreaking album with a special reissue in two deluxe versions outlined below and available on June 3, 2014 via A&M Records/UME. The Deluxe Edition is a 2-CD package featuring the remastered album along with disc two consisting of demos, rehearsals, B-sides and more. The Super Deluxe Edition is a 5-CD package featuring the remastered album, additional demos, rehearsals and B-sides and the fifth disc is the album mixed in Blu-ray ™ Audio 5.1 Surround Sound. The Super Deluxe Edition is incredibly packaged in a hardbound book with a lenticular cover, liner notes by David Fricke and newly reimagined album artwork designed by Josh Graham. It also features never before seen band photography by Kevin Westerberg. A 2-LP gatefold of the original 16 vinyl tracks remastered on 200-gram vinyl in a gatefold jacket will also be made available. In addition, the Superunknown singles and associated b-sides with newly interpreted artwork sleeves by Josh Graham will be reissued on Record Store Day, April 19th, as a set of five limited edition 10″ vinyl records.

SUPERUNKNOWN – DELUXE EDITION 2CD TRACK LISTING:

CD ONE – REMASTERED ALBUM

1. Let Me Drown

2. My Wave

3. Fell on Black Days

4. Mailman

5. Superunknown

6. Head Down

7. Black Hole Sun

8. Spoonman

9. Limo Wreck

10. The Day I Tried to Live

11. Kickstand

12. Fresh Tendrils

13. 4th of July

14. Half

15. Like Suicide

16. She Likes Surprises

CD TWO – Demos, Rehearsals, B-Sides & More

1. Let Me Drown (Demo)^

2. Black Hole Sun (Demo)^

3. Half (Demo)^

4. Head Down (Rehearsal)^

5. Limo Wreck (Rehearsal)^

6. The Day I Tried to Live (Rehearsal)^

7. Like Suicide (Acoustic)

8. Black Days III*

9. Birth Ritual (Original Demo Version)

10. Exit Stonehenge

11. Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

12. Jerry Garcia’s Finger

13. Spoonman (Alternate Steve Fisk Remix)^

14. The Day I Tried To Live (Scott Litt Mix)^

15. 4th of July (Instrumental)^

16. Superunknown (Instrumental)^

SUPERUNKNOWN – SUPER DELUXE TRACK LISTING:

CD ONE – REMASTERED ALBUM

1. Let Me Drown

2. My Wave

3. Fell on Black Days

4. Mailman

5. Superunknown

6. Head Down

7. Black Hole Sun

8. Spoonman

9. Limo Wreck

10. The Day I Tried to Live

11. Kickstand

12. Fresh Tendrils

13. 4th of July

14. Half

15. Like Suicide

16. She Likes Surprises

CD TWO – B-SIDES & MORE

1. The Day I Tried To Live (Alternate Mix)^

2. Spoonman (Alternate Steve Fisk Remix)^

3. Beyond The Wheel (Live)

4. Fell On Black Days (Live)

5. Birth Ritual (Original Demo Version)

6. Jesus Christ Pose (Live)

7. Like Suicide (Acoustic Version)

8. Kickstand (Live)

9. My Wave (Live)

10. Spoonman (Steve Fisk Remix)

11. Exit Stonehenge

12. Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

13. Black Days III*

14. Ghostmotorfinger**

15. Jerry Garcia’s Finger

16. Fell On Black Days (Video Version)

CD THREE – THE DEMOS (unreleased)

1. Let Me Drown (Demo)

2. Fell On Black Days (Demo)

3. Superunknown (Demo)

4. Black Hole Sun (Demo)

5. Spoonman (Demo)

6. Fresh Tendrils (Demo)

7. 4th of July (Demo)

8. Half (Demo)

9. Like Suicide (Demo)

CD FOUR – THE REHEARSALS (unreleased)

1. Black Hole Sun (Rehearsal)

2. Bing Bing Goes To Church (Rehearsal)

3. Half (Rehearsal)

4. Head Down (Rehearsal)

5. Kyle Petty, Son Of Richard (Rehearsal)

6. Let Me Drown (Rehearsal)

7. Limo Wreck (Rehearsal)

8. My Wave (Rehearsal)

9. Fresh Tendrils (Rehearsal)

10. Like Suicide (Rehearsal)

11. Ruff Riff-Raff (Rehearsal)

12. Exit Stonehenge (Rehearsal)

13. Spoonman (Rehearsal)

14. The Date I Tried To Leave (Rehearsal)

15. The Day I Tried To Live (Rehearsal)

DISC FIVE – BLU-RAY AUDIO 5.1 MIX

1. Let Me Drown (5.1 Mix)

2. My Wave (5.1 Mix)

3. Fell On Black Days (5.1 Mix)

4. Mailman (5.1 Mix)

5. Superunknown (5.1 Mix)

6. Head Down (5.1 Mix)

7. Black Hole Sun (5.1 Mix)

8. Spoonman (5.1 Mix)

9. Limo Wreck (5.1 Mix)

10. The Day I Tried To Live (5.1 Mix)

11. Kickstand (5.1 Mix)

12. Fresh Tendrils (5.1 Mix)

13. 4th Of July (5.1 Mix)

14. Half (5.1 Mix)

15. Like Suicide (5.1 Mix)

16. She Likes Surprises (Int’l Vers & Us 12″) (5.1 Mix)

SUPERUNKNOWN: THE SINGLES – FIVE 10-INCH VINYL SET

1. SPOONMAN

Fresh Tendrils

Cold Bitch

Exit Stonehenge

2. THE DAY I TRIED TO LIVE

Like Suicide (Acoustic Version)

Kickstand (Live)

Limo Wreck

3. BLACK HOLE SUN

Jesus Christ Pose (Live)

Beyond The Wheel (Live)

Fell On Black Days (Live)

4. MY WAVE

Spoonman (Steve Fisk Remix)

Birth Ritual (Original Demo Version)

My Wave (Live)

5. FELL ON BLACK DAYS

Kyle Petty, Son of Richard

Ghostmotorfinger**

Fell On Black Days (Video Version)

Girl U Want

Black Days III*

* Originally titled “Fell On Black Days (Demo – Early Version)”

**Originally titled “Motorcycle Loop (Short Version)”

^ Previously Unreleased

1779779_10152204026550600_769512349_n.jpg

Dat album art. I can fap to this.

[video=youtube;U8fPixhuiTI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fPixhuiTI

Also interesting to hear them rehearsing.

Edited by Shaun2J

2014 Album Thread

Got my first 2014 album, and I can imagine it's already pretty popular amongst my fellow TWOsies: Temples - "Sun Structures".

Best way to describe it is a poppy, slightly psychedelic, very 60's sounding festival trip. The type of band that you would take a tab to, lay back, and just absorb blissfully. At a festival. Chilling with your mates, thinking to yourself "actually these guys are pretty cool".

Lovely melodic vocals and instruments, purposefully cruddy sound quality, a bit of a cross between Cream, Tame Impala and, well, The Beatles in their guru phase.

Not a perfect album, far from it, but a good shout to still be thought of come "end of year list" time.

Cheers!

Got my first 2014 album, and I can imagine it's already pretty popular amongst my fellow TWOsies: Temples - "Sun Structures".

Best way to describe it is a poppy, slightly psychedelic, very 60's sounding festival trip.

Just to follow up on this post, Sun Structures has been my "10pm Headphones in Bed" CD for this week. I've got some oversize Sennheiser cans and always try to listen to entire albums once a night.

Pop, rock, and chopping/changing the CD in the morning, and playing it loud. Albums and time in the evening.

Seriously impressed with this album. Without wanting to resort to cliche, it really does get better every time you hear it.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dpddave
I'm going to see Royal Blood in July, they're supporting the Arctic Monkeys. I'd never heard of them before I seen them on the line up though, must give them a listen.