Fan Clubs (beta)

The 2014 album thread

Guest Frank Botch

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my mates are going to the Slipknot/Korn gig early next year. I don't mind a bit of Slipknot now and again but I don't think I'd fork out 40 quid to go and see them live.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just a bit of a music snob - yeah, the new Slipknot sucked. Not a single redeeming quality for me at all. The singy vocals gotta go. I don't mind Corey's voice on other stuff and I think he would have been amazing in Anthrax(Yeah, that almost happened) but it's not in Slipknot's character. I love how people applaud Corey's "new singing style" on the album. Some fans just love their favorite band so much that they're totally blind to the stupid shit they do.

It wasn't the worst thing I heard. But it isn't good either, which is a shame since fans have been waiting so long for a new album. It's just watered down, paint my the numbers Slipknot. It's certainly not brilliant. Not even close.

I've listened to a couple of the tracks from the Flaming Lips album of Beatles covers, including "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" featuring Miley Cyrus. Like what I've heard so far.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Weezer's new album, "Everything Will Be Alright In The End", is a glorious little parcel of nerd-rock. Quality-wise it's right up there with "Pinkerton" and "Blue", although just a smudge below those two for most Weezer-Geezers, but certainly better than "Green" which is a pretty great album in its own right.

Nothing you haven't heard before; no 10 minutes prog-noodling, orchestras, power ballads or attempts to create an era-defining masterpiece. Just 3 minute long, punchy, catchy, addictive pop songs. Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) writes one song and Bethany Consentino (Best Coast) duets on another, and it's splendid, it really is.

The final track is a three-parter (think: Green Day's "Jesus of Suburbia"), two guitar solos sandwiching a backing vocals-esque ditty, and even then it's only a 40 minutes album.

I really like it. Not album of the year but possibly top ten.

Cheers!

Guest bigmatt

The 2015 album thread is here:

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?62131-The-2015-album-thread&p=1304027#post1304027

I won't close this one though, so if you want to discuss albums from last year, please continue. This thread could also be a memory jogger if you're taking part in the latest Music Club. Music Club XIII: 2014 - A look back at the tracks of 2014, here:

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum/showthread.php?62127-Music-Club-XIII-2014