Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club X: Miami Vice

No problemo. I'll put a couple vids up tomorrow and will write summit about them both. I've got a couple in mind :).

At what point do I critique other people's vids?

EDIT: (note to self)

[ video = YouTube ; abc123 ] httpyoutube [ / video]

Cheers!

Edited by Boyo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animotion - "Obsession"

[video=youtube;jJ6EVhgyj6A]

I could do videos of this theme 10x or 20x over as this theme is basically 80's new wave with a bit of swagger. Or at least a pretty iconic keys riff.

For me this tune by Animotion is my overall favourite 80's tune. The synth in this is epic, it sounds incredible blaring out of some oversized Cadillac whilst crawling down Ocean Avenue, or simply whilst being played in Colony whilst water boarding yourself on Mai Tais.

A lot of 80's new wave has some pretty racy lyrics in it, nothing too bad, but a bit cheeky nonetheless. This is just the same. Big riff, naughty lyrics, strutability, and overall just has a great big Miami feel about it.

Jeanette Thomas - "Shake Your Body"

[video=youtube;Zw8CLYv-kqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8CLYv-kqI&app=desktop

A bit of a left field choice here, because the video clearly shows that this is a Chicago house tune, but I've got a personal reason for its inclusion.

In 2003 I, with 2 friends, went to the Winter Music Conference in Miami. It's an industry thing where all these dance music douchebags go to Miami and take bags of coke. We'd been there a few days, spent a lot of money, and to be honest not had a great time because the WMC was full of fudging rude assholes. Anyway, our last night came up and we were heading to Daytona the next day for Spring Break.

We were on Ocean Avenue in a bar. I'd love to say it was Colony (as that's cool) but I think it was Cafe Mango(? Mambo? Something like that). Erick Morillo was there with his Subliminal Records lot and he was spinning whatever tunes he was shilling at the time.

And then he played this, and the place erupted.

To be honest I'd never heard this tune before but judging by the reaction it got it seemed to be really well known down in "SoBe". Morillo then started talking over the top of this saying how it was the tune that made him fall in love with Ocean Ave when he first started spinning records back in the 80's. And it was the same for me too.

Iconic bass line, iconic tune down in Miami, 80's vocal arrangement, and has huge amounts of swagger about it.

Hope these vids work :xyx

Cheers!

Edited by bigmatt

Animotion - Obsession

Yep, a stone cold 80s classic this 'un. That chorus will be stuck in my brain for days to come now, usually happens when I hear it out of nowhere. The bass line is infectious, it really is. One of my favourite 80s tracks, and was on my shortlist to pick myself, damn you! :)

10/10

Jeanette Thomas - Shake Your Body

I can honestly say I've never heard this before. Never, at all, ever. Having listened to it... well, I don't think I need to ever hear it again. So not my scene. I don't think I can even bring myself to give this the legendary score.

1/10

Animotion - Obsession

Great pick, exactly what I picture and what this Music Club needed. That synthesizer rules this song and the bass too. Also the SNME theme song :lol

10/10

I'll give you the 80's theme but damn does this get annoying. It's just button pressing towards the end, I'm not into that. However I like the faint bassline.

3/10

CheersGimmick

Obsession - Animotion

This is pretty great. It embodies a lot of what the 80s were about, primarily doing lots of cocaine. Like Inno said, this is a true 80s classic and one of those songs that'll be stuck in my head for days. Prefect choice for this music club theme. Great start, boyo. 10/10

I like how this started out with the heavy bass. Then the synth came in and I'm like WTF? This is pretty bad, but I guess it balances out that first choice. Oh well, lightning never strikes twice. Speaking of twice, if I never hear this song again, it'll be too soon. What an abomination. Nice try, Boyo, but no extra points for effort, rookie. I'm a cold bastard when it comes to the music club so BAMN! here's your first official 2/10

Don't worry, Boyo, everyone gets slammed in the music club. That's part of the fun. :lol

Man, I loved the 80's so much. Definitely the best decade of all time. I think of myself as being lucky to live through and remember the entire decade. I have two great song choices that are so far outside my usual some of you may never look at me the same ever again.

Damn I feel old, I started school in 1980...

Had this thread opened an hour yesterday and didn't post?! Pfui.

I love this song so much. All those synthesizers at the start, I feel like Randy Orton releasing the doves.

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)

[video=youtube_share;NmnDySxJj48]

I'll just describe this song with a quote from Pete Townshend.

"This song is about what happens when you take too much white powder; it's called Eminence Front".

The Who - Eminence Front

[video=youtube;8yuOw5k5_OM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yuOw5k5_OM

Shaun2J

Love this. This is one of the first songs I think of when I think of the 80s. It should be launched into space as a message of our genius to alien cultures from far away : "Think you're clever, bitches? Listen to what we can do!" - a classic.

10/10

The Who - Eminence Front

I dig this. I can totally tell that my favourite band, Thunder, wear their Who love on their sleeve. This has a nice git down n git funky vibe to it that is a million miles away from the Who's earlier angry young kid stuff. Not entirely sure which is better, but there you go. I would listen to his again.

8/10

Mookie

It's really hard to get more 80's than a Flock of Seagulls. I didn't even need to listen to this to rate it but being in the spirit of the music club I did so anyway(I couldn't get away). I may be wrong here but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of moders electronic bands took their inspiration from this group. Everything here is solid and perfect from the lyrics, vocals, synths and beats. The only flaw with this band is the hair styles but that's easily forgiven. 10/10

The Who - Eminence Front

Oh man, the memories. I truly miss the 80's. It was the last great decade as far as I'm concerned. I haven't heard this song in years and strangely enough I never equate it as being a The Who song for some reason. It sounds more like the Talking Heads or Genisis or something. Not in a bad way at all either. I love how the bass is right up front and the vocals are superb not to mention that slight wah effect on the guitar. Great song, but far from my favorite Who song and far from my favorite 80's stuff but this still gets high marks due to being absolutely flawless and another perfect pick for this music club gimmick. 8/10

My picks:

[video=youtube;mnqj31VPNoE]

Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok

Linen suit? Check.

Overblown orchestral intro? Check.

Jazz flute stylings? Check.

White guy trying to rap? Check.

Written by Sir Tim Rice and Benny & Bjorn from Abba? Check.

Synths and funky slap bass? Check...

and from a MUSICAL about CHESS called CHESS??? CheckMATE! Ahahahaha!

[video=youtube;9gyPjIxpDe4]

If this doesn't bring you out in an 80s induced happy glowy smile, then you have no soul. This is a staple of many a karaoke night the world over, and a stone cold classic.

Fits the theme but it's one of the songs from that decade that I'm hot and cold on. I remember a remake from about 8-9 years ao which was totally drizzle. This is down the middle for me.

5/10

Giorgio Moroder & Phil Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

Awesome, got a total earworm out of this and totally like the whole instrumental parts of the song.

8/10

Here's the running order again to keep you up to date.

Go!

- Boyo (Has to review everyone)

Sunday 13th April

- Shaun2J

Friday 18th April

- Inno

Wednesday 23rd April

- Maxximus

Monday 28th April

- Laffy (Has to review everyone)

Saturday 3rd May

- Omega (Has to review everyone)

Tuesday 8th May

- John Hancock (has to review everyone)

Edited by Shaun2J

INNOgaddadavida

I had a friend who loved this song so much he could sing ever freaking word on command. It was annoying as hell. Try as I might I can't take this song seriously and to be perfectly honest I feel embarrassed even listening to this. While this is classic 80's I have no love at all for this. I'll give it a point for the visuals, a point for nailing the club theme and a point for every one of Inno's checks because Inno's a bad mutherf*cker. 9/10

Giorgio Moroder & Phil Oakey - Together In Electric Dreams

I've never heard this. How have I never heard this? It's FANTASTIC! I keep saying it, but goddamn did I love the 80's. This song is perfection. THAT FADE OUT(!) at the end! Great stuff! 10/10

If 'Megz wants to trade days, I'm all caught up and have my pics ready so just say the word.

I'm thinking the Europop 80s sound didn't really travel well to the States in most cases. "Together in Electric Dreams" was inescapable for the best part of a decade here!

Well since Mookie gave me the go ahead here's my picks.

There were so many great songs to pick from but I went with two that have the most nostalgia value for me.

This song came out when I was in fourth grade I think and it was super popular. It reminds me of the talent show that year when my friends did a lip synch'd version. The parents had the strangest looks on their faces. It also reminds me of tether ball, four square and our local arcade that was about 4 or 5 blocks from school. It's where I spend my entire childhood up until my 20's when if finally closed down.

Sly Fox - Lets Go All The Way

[video=youtube;f3QF0T4auQc]

This song just f*cking kills!

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands

[video=youtube;5XcKBmdfpWs]