Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club X: Miami Vice

Animotion - Obsession

Sounds like The Human League meets, I don't, name another 80's band with a penchant for driving bass riffage. It's pretty catchy though so you know, who cares. Feels like it needed a better producer though as there's just too much stuff going on especially in the drum track.

6/10

Jeanette Thomas - Shake Your Body

Ploddy. Did not want.

1/10

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)

I've heard this song before in parts in different contexts and I;ve always liked the Chorus and I think FOS get a bad rep as being a terrible 80's band simply because they embraced the scene so vividly. The verses are quite weak comparatively though and listening to the whole song felt a bit of a chore, just waiting for the choruses really.

6/10

The Who - Eminence Front

Casio keyboard drum machine FTW. This actually sounds like a Dire Straits rip off but when it gets going it's actually pretty good and catchy. Best actual song so far.

8/10

Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok

Genius, there is literally nothing more 80's than this so we may as well pack up and go home now. It's truly one of the worst songs I've ever heard with some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard as well and yet some how I;m curiously drawn to it, like a terrible car accident. Also the amount of slightly racist themes is amazing and a Siam reference that now makes no sense.

10/10

Giorgio Moroder & PHil Oakley

I've heard it too much and I never ever liked Phil Oakleys voice. but extra points for the video and the ancient computers.

2/10

Sly Fox - Lets Go All The Way

I quite liked this one though it reminded me almost exactly of another song which I can't remember the name of but was a girl/boy group and the video had a big american bus in it and may have been about a highway. I love the driving bass beat in this and the diving wailing guitars.

7/10

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands

It probably doesn't help that I already think of Styx as being a ridiculous anachronism as it is and the track does pretty much what I expected it to which is limp along not really going anywhere which is what 99% of pop-rock in the 80's did. Kudos for another great video of a band unaware that this video will in fact be the standard by which the song is held for future generations and so take it completely unseriously.

4/10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaxxyWaxxyWooWoo

Sly Fox - Lets Go All The Way

YES! Used to love this when I heard it on t'radio or Top Of T'Pops. A video that fitted in every single special effect they had for video production in the 80s, too. Classic.

10/10

Styx were/are awesome. Straight up middle of the road 80s commercial rock. Sometimes, there ain't nothing wrong with that at all. This would be at home as a montage soundtrack in a John Hughes movie.

8/10

Sly Fox - Let's Go All the Way

That snare is slamming! Also the bass is totally driving, I'm sitting he bouncing my head. Like this song so much.

9/10

I'm not too keen on the chorus, still bobbing my head so there is something to it. Video screams 80's cheese but the song doesn't do anything for me. I'm not too big on Styx but Tommy Shaw looks incredibly young nowadays.

5/10

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood

[video=youtube;TnpwuRlXbhk]

The Police - Don't stand so close to me ('86 remix)

[video=youtube;4jSl-Lr4VuY]

Edited by Omega

Guest John Hancock
Sorry, I've fallen so ridiculously behind. Throw things at me if I'm not caught up by the weekend.

Does that mean I can change my second pick?

EDIT: Too late, I have changed my 2nd pick. I thought this remix was just into the nineties. Very very happy with both picks now

Edited by Omega

Love a little Killing Joke but mainly cause they had lots of influence on Nirvana and such. I like this song, probably a little out of the left field for them back then but without a doubt their famous song. I like the faint chugging sound to the guitars they've kept. Yeah, I think I might have to listen to more of their stuff.

9/10

The Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me '86

I was singing "I want my, I want my, I want my MTV" throughout the verses. :lol And then the DUM DUM DUM DUM Bass. I'm not sure on what version I like better... This must be the most highly rated Music Club cause this is getting another high score.

8/10

Guest Inno

The OMEGA man

Love this, Always have, probably always will. To me it has a jingle jangle guitar tone that a lot of other badns copied, perhaps some even improved on? Who knows... KJ invented it. That riff is awesome.

10/10

The Polis - Dinnae Ston So Close Tae Us, Eh?

If you don't like The Police... then it's criminal. AHAHAHAHAHAHA! See what I did there? Aye, awright. Leave off. My bad patter doesn't disguise that this is an awesome song, but I admit to preferring the "normal" version. Still good though.

7/10

We should put bans on people who don't complete this season joining the next

That's what I tend to do but most of the time, it's either completed or the uncompleted bunch don't come back for the next club anyway.

Also Laffy and Hancock haven't reviewed yet, but they also haven't made their picks so they are kinda cool but need to finish this. Boyo can suck one though. :D

Edited by Shaun2J

Guest Boyo

I've judged everything on merit as if I was driving a 1984 Camaro IROC convertible down Ocean Blvd, music blaring so people can hear.

Shaun

I Ran - this was going to be my other pick to go with Animotion. I love this track, one of my all time favourites. If I was blaring this out in my 84 Camaro T-Top I'm sure I'd get a lot of puss. The only reason it doesn't get 10 is because it's not Obsession by Animotion - 9/10

Eminence Front - really wanted to like this I mean, it's The Who, right? It's got some actual musicianship and a great rock voice belting out over some darned funk... but 80's Miami it ain't. It doesn't have the brashness that only a key tar and hair gel can provide - 5/10

Inno

One Night In Bangkok - couldn't help but really enjoy this track. It started off a bit iffy but once that beat kicked in. Yes. I can't give it too high a score though as it's not the coolest track I've ever heard, and I'm going for cool. 7/10

Together In Electric Dreams - agaiiiiin, not a particularly cool track for my Camaro as I cruise South Beach trying to score me some 80's strange. The kind of track you sing along to, rather than nod your head and look badass to, but it's still a great choice - 7/10

Maxx

Let's Go All The Way - f'kn AWESOME track. Love this. This and Animotion > everything - 10/10

Too Much Time On My Hands - eeuurrggh, I do like this. I do. I like the music and the vibe but it's Styx, man. Styx. People are going to know it's Styx. It's the equivalent of playing that recent Little Mix track. By God it's good but it's still Little Mix - 6.5/10

Omega

Love Like Blood - oh God no. This would not attract some hot Miami mami at all. If this came on I'd fast forward to Sly Fox immeds - 1/10

Don't Stand So Close To Me - because the f'n Police, and possibly the weakest of their big hits, remade for the worse, screams 1980's Miami. He hasn't got this at all - 0/10

Cheers!

Edited by Boyo