Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Is Gina Carano Coming Back To MMA?

Guest CMHunk

Guest The Beltster

When Crush was mentioned I thought you were talking about Crush from Demolition, and had no idea what the relation to this whole topic was. I had no idea she was a Gladiator or called Crush and I'm a mainstream and MMA enthusiast.

So there! ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of you are answering my question.

If Carano is not a big name, or not as big as Rousey, and hardly anyone knows who she is, and Rousey's more culturally relevant and in Time Magazine, and so on and so forth... then what's the point of the fight, and why the big deal?

Surely if she's some past-it no-mark who Rousey is going to murder-death-kill then why not have Rousey fight a woman who is already one of the best in UFC? And on top of that, if Carano is returning to the UFC as a past-it, unheard-of, no-mark Sally-Sasquatch then why does she get to fight Rousey (who - I am presuming - is the current champion)?

Your logic doesn't add up, mine does.

Cheers!

Guest CMHunk
None of you are answering my question.

If Carano is not a big name, or not as big as Rousey, and hardly anyone knows who she is, and Rousey's more culturally relevant and in Time Magazine, and so on and so forth... then what's the point of the fight, and why the big deal?

nobody's saying hardly anyone knows who Carano is (and if they are and I've missed it, they're wrong), they're just saying that Rousey is the bigger star at this point. It's like saying hardly anyone knows who Manny Pacquiao is because Floyd Mayweather is a bigger draw (I'm not as big on boxing, I assume he is?). Rousey is a bigger name and a bigger draw at this point, but that doesn't mean Carano is no draw at all, and she was the biggest name before Rousey by an absolute mile. What is the point in the number one draw fighting the number two draw? You really need us to answer that for you?

Surely if she's some past-it no-mark who Rousey is going to murder-death-kill then why not have Rousey fight a woman who is already one of the best in UFC? And on top of that, if Carano is returning to the UFC as a past-it, unheard-of, no-mark Sally-Sasquatch then why does she get to fight Rousey (who - I am presuming - is the current champion)?
Rousey is going to beat anyone in the division, and in most instances pretty easily. She has done so far. Should dominant champions just not have to defend anymore? They still have to fight someone. She's beaten the ones who are the best in UFC bar Cat Zingano who got injured prior to being able to challenge. Outside of that, there's only Cyborg who has not fought in the UFC and hasn't fought at that weight class.

The answer as to why Carano gets to fight her is........ money. This isn't some sport with an independent matchmaking body who makes the most fair and deserving fights. The UFC are a private company designed to make as much money as possible. Rousey Vs Carano is the biggest moneymaking fight, therefore it's the one they'll go after. The second biggest moneymaking fight would then be Rousey/Cyborg, which they may well also go after. Again, you shouldn't need this explaining Boyo, you're smart and already know this.

Edited by CMHunk

Guest The Beltster

Boyo, who has said nobody knows who Carano is? We are simply arguing the fact (thats F-A-C-T) that Rousey is a bigger star at this point in and out of MMA than Carano is. I'm not sure why you're getting so pissy over it, its not a big deal. Your pretending not to know Rousey was the champion was a nice touch too, to add to you making out nobody knows who she is in the mainstream :lol

And they are trying to make a big deal of it because Rousey has no competition outside of Cyborg and that fight won't be happening any time soon, they need challengers for Rousey NOW. Rousey will destroy Carano with ease, but at least once they get the hype machine behind it and remind people who Carano is, they should do some pretty good business from it, not as big as the Cyborg fight would do but still...

Guest CMHunk

I'm not going to debate again whether Carano/Rousey draws more than Cyborg/Rousey with you, if both fights happened tomorrow Carano draws way more, but..................

it's the right way round to do it. There is almost zero chance that Carano beats Rousey and much more of a chance that Cyborg beats her. Carano really doesn't need a tune up UFC fight as she has much more mainstream attention than Cyborg anyway, plus Gina would probably lose against most of the decent UFC fighters in the division anyway.

so, put Gina/Rousey out there first. The two are total media darlings, they'll promote the hell out of it and it'll get lapped up and it'll do great business.

Cyborg on the other hand you can give a UFC fight to first, plus she probably needs one to get noticed. She's not a huge name with the same sort of media attention that Carano has, but if you put her in the UFC cage in a prominent position and let her do what she does to people then people will instantly care and clamour even more for the Rousey/Cyborg fight.

there is another spanner in the works for both Gina and Cyborg which is that there's a fair chance neither would be able to make weight. I guess though, that just means the title isn't on the line, and that really wouldn't make any difference to the way it'd draw anyway.

If Cyborg beats Ronda, and then wins a rematch against her, that's pretty much the death of women's MMA in the UFC. I'm still pretty sure Dana never really wanted to promote women's MMA, he just wanted to promote Ronda. Cyborg has been in that position before, killing Gina and then nobody giving a monkeys about her afterwards as she can't draw on her own.

Edited by CMHunk

Guest The Beltster

Oh you will debate it again or you wouldn't have said anything :lol

The ONLY way Carano draws more vs Rousey is if it happens on a much more stacked card. Like, for example, if they put Rousey/Carano on Anderson Silvas comeback show, it will no doubt draw more than the Cyborg fight, but if they are both equally promoted and on cards of equal quality, Cyborgs butyrate with Rousey will take a massive, steaming shit on Carano's, without question, no doubt.

Guest CMHunk

I don't know what you base that on, Cyborg's never drawn, anything, ever.

She had one fight which did good numbers for what it was, against................ Gina. Then nobody cared about any other fight she was ever in at all. People would care about her fighting Rousey of course, but nearly as much as Gina

If this all ever happens, and it probably won't, that £5 is mine ;)

Edited by CMHunk

No one's getting pissy, I'm just saying that the bigger mainstream star is the lady who's been in the mainstream.

UFC is not mainstream, Women's MMA is not mainstream, TIME magazine is not mainstream, and I don't believe any women have been confirmed for the Expendabelles or whatever it's called. Rousey isn't mainstream whatsoever.

Carano was an American Gladiator, she was in a Steven Soderburgh film, and if Rousey does get the Expebdabelles gig you can bet your sweet cheeks that Carano's getting the gig too. She is a bonafide Hollywood action star now after all.

You guys are dreaming if you think Mr & Mrs Dingbat from Chumpsville Indiana is going to identify Rousey over Carano.

Cheers!

Guest The Beltster
I don't know what you base that on, Cyborg's never drawn, anything, ever.

She had one fight which did good numbers for what it was, against................ Gina. Then nobody cared about any other fight she was ever in at all. People would care about her fighting Rousey of course, but nearly as much as Gina

If this all ever happens, and it probably won't, that £5 is mine ;)

Doesnt matter what she drew against others, this fight is THE fight people want to see. Cyborg could fight anybody else and not draw shit because nobody wants to see Cyborg fight anybody else, EVERYBODY (MMA enthusiasts and casuals) have heard about and know of the heat between Cyborg and Rousey, they is ZERO heat between Carano and Rousey. People shaking hands and being nice to each other doesn't draw as well as people talking shit about each other. Mark my words, that big 5 sterling will be buying me fish and chips the day those buy rates are released ;)

As for Boyo, from reading his last post he's realised he's completely wrong and has now gone the comedy trolling route. Poor show pickle.

and if Rousey does get the Expebdabelles gig you can bet your sweet cheeks that Carano's getting the gig too. She is a bonafide Hollywood action star now after all.
Rousey is going to be in The Expendables 3 (you know, the one with the guys), not Expendabelles (or whatever it ends up being called).

Guest John Hancock
Carano was an American Gladiator, she was in a Steven Soderburgh film, and if Rousey does get the Expebdabelles gig you can bet your sweet cheeks that Carano's getting the gig too. She is a bonafide Hollywood action star now after all.

To calm everyone down from your psychopathic inability to ever admit you're wrong, let's just all play a fun little game. We'll have a race. We'll both look at the Expendables 3 poster, and I'll find Ronda Rousey's picture, and you find Gina Carano's. Aaaaaaand go!

http://zinemaniacos.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/expendables_3.jpg

Found her!

(PS: Can we move this thread into the Arsenal thread in the Sports Forum, give it it's own entire forum, and just call it "The Boyo Is Insane Forum"?)

Edited by John Hancock

It was a long time ago in this thread but I'll add another name in the "Ask me, the casual fan, about a female MMA star and I'll say Ronda Rousey" column. I remember who Gina Carano is but I wouldn't have been able to tell you a single thing she was in after fighting Cyborg. Hell I care more about Cyborg than I do about Carano.

Huh, I'm trolling now hmm? Hey I'm not saying I'm definitely right but I am saying you're not definitely right either. How do you measure who's more famous without asking millions of mainstream people which hot MMA fighter they kinda don't really recognise more than the other. You're as guilty of being a belligerent dickhead every bit as I am.

Only I'm right :P. I jest, I jest.

Cheers!

Guest CMHunk
Dave thought the fight would draw 200,000-300,000 PPV buys tops, similar to what Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo draw. Instead, it drew much stronger numbers 400,000-500,000.

Dave claims that DirecTV is stating that no other UFC PPV show has ever sold more buys for the High Definition telecast than UFC 157 drew.

Dave said Rousey/Carmouche out-drew Anderson Silva/Stephan Bonnar and was parallel to the Jon Jones/Vitor Belfort fight. “I suspect Ronda (will be) no worse than the #5 draw in the company if she continues to win.” Dave says that one UFC company source believes Ronda can draw 700,000 PPV buys a fight if she continues her winning streak over the next year.

Ranking UFC’s top 5 PPV attractions: Georges St. Pierre, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez, and Ronda Rousey.

this was about a year ago, and there's no reason her stock has dropped in any way since then.

there's no bigger evidence of who is the bigger draw than, ya know, actually drawing. Rousey is the biggest drawing female MMA fighter of all time without question. She was fighting Liz Carmouche, do you have any clue who Liz Carmouche is? Obviously not because you weren't even sure Rousey was the Champ. Rousey still did a number headlining with her.

Guest John Hancock

But have you not noticed that you're literally the only person arguing your point, possibly in the entire universe? You also have no evidence to back up your point, other than a T.V. show no one other than you watched, and your counter to everything is just blank refusal or saying ridiculous things like how Time Magazine, probably the most influential current affairs magazine in the world, isn't as mainstream as f*cking Gladiators and some shitty flop movie Carano was in three years ago.

The reason people think you're trolling (they obviously don't come to the Sport Forum much) is that they can't believe someone could put up such a weak argument, yet still be so convinced that they're right. People are assuming you're being sarcastic, that's the level.

But fine, we'll play your game. Kevin Steen is a bigger mainstream wrestler than Hulk Hogan. You're a belligerent dickhead if you disagree with me.

Rousey vs Anyone is money. Slap that other bitch in an armbar and call it done. To the point Rousey should fight in full makeup because it's not even gonna have a chance to get smudged. And if I'm wrong , Rhonda can slap the armbar on me and I'll tap out. Edited by etz