Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

What are you reading?

Been ages since we've had a thread like this.

Just finished Factotum from Bukowski, some dry witty lines in there. I was grinning the way to work and back, the fact that some of the chapters were so short had the impression that his occupations were just as short. Will try to find more of his work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Laffy
I have just finished reading two books, It by Stephen King and Simon Cowells unofficial biography Sweet Revenge. It is my favourite book but I can not read it after 7:00 pm as it still gives me nightmares from a childhood incident. I kept seeing Pennywise the clown attacking me his teeth kept coming towards my throat with his fangs dripping with blood. The book is bloody brilliant I love the way it is split in to sections and weaves the story really well.

Guest John Hancock

I've got two on the go, which is a thing I always do, and it's always one non-fiction, and one comic.

The non-fiction's the autobiography of low-budget film-maker Roger Corman. The overall story's interesting enough, but you get the impression that Roger really does think he's just the f*cking best, and it gets a little tiresome. A lot of his anecdotes are very similar too, pretty much every story he tells about making a film is the same. The comic is the first Judge Dredd anthology, which has reminded me that Judge Dredd was incredibly stupid when it first started. Thankfully, I'm starting to get into the era where it became more self-aware and silly.

Guest Magic
This will come as a surprise to approximately zero people, but I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books. Currently on the marathon that is the Order of the Phoenix. Not sure what I'm going to go for after them, I have thousands on my e-reader, too much to choose from.

"The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy" by Bill Carter; a look at the Conan/Leno stramash over the Tonight Show. Pretty damned interesting!

Guest bigmatt
I have just finished reading two books, It by Stephen King and Simon Cowells unofficial biography Sweet Revenge. It is my favourite book but I can not read it after 7:00 pm as it still gives me nightmares from a childhood incident.

Operation Yewtree strikes again. I always had my suspicions about that Cowell.

Guest pheadley
im reading the cowell book at the moment and stephen kings needful things and a bit of marvel year by year each day (ive got too much time on my hands). the last one i finished was the iceman, was a really good read. Edited by pheadley

Guest Yodahew
Im reading world war z at the moment. Really enjoying it. Also book 2 of game of thrones. That im finding quite hard work.

George rr Martin suffers from the same affliction as jrr tolkein. They'll never say in just 1000 words what could easily be said in 100 words. Pointlessly wordy. I say this as a fan of long books, Peter F Hamilton, Stephen King, Robin Hobb etc being amongst my favorite authors. I've managed Tolkeins main works 3 times each because they are legitimate masterworks of worldbuilding, but Martin lost me a couple of chapters in.

Can't remember the name of the book I'm reading at the moment, it's a scifi job where the guy tries to cause an interspecies incident with some aliens by placing a smell manipulator, well, exactly where you might think such a thing might go.

Just started The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Just read the first few pages, so I'm not really invested yet. Hope I enjoy it.

Oh, recent reads that I heartily recommend ; The Martian by Andy Weir and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Both set in the future and sci-fi based, but totally different. Cracking stuff!

Band of Brothers at the moment, it was in the sale in WH Smith and having seen the series and being a huge fan I thought it was well worth a read and so far it has been.

Before that I finished the latest edition of Powerslam (it counts dammit!), the graphic novel of Django Unchained, The Korean War by Max Hastings, World War II by Anthony Beever as well as Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by the same author.

Love me some deep big thick history books.

Guest Laffy
Just started Harry Redknaps autobiography. It is pretty good so far. I am about to start reading The Firm again by John Grisham.

Guest Ciaran The King
Just finished Reading Controversy Creates Cash and now started on Alex Fergusons book. The first chapter is laughable after last season, shaping up to be a good book

• 2 months later...

Working my way through Uncanny X-Men again. I'm still in the 80's - issue #222 to be exact. It's the Chris Claremont/Marc Silvestri run and it's SO f*cking bad ass. Best run on X-Men ever. EVAR!

http://i.imgur.com/YaOOFXZ.jpg

Guest The Beltster
I think its my favourite Batman origin. I liked the Superman Earth One volumes too. Looking forward to Vol 2 of Batman.

Guest pheadley
im reading wolverine and deadpool, getting the monthly title and buying back issues. ive started reading essential x men feels like ive been waiting ages for the next issue.