Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

The Book Club

What are you reading?

Crete: The Downfall and the Resistance by Anthony Beever.

I like history books. I am a geek and I have find stuff to read to kill time before the next part of A Song of Fire and Ice or the Discworld series.

I love Crete. Went there for my holiday this year and just fell in love with the place. Next year were going back to visit the ruins of Knossoss. Knossos? Knossossossoss?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The book actually makes me want to go there, by the sounds of it the people, well at least the ones alive in 1941, are amazing.

My favourite has to be the priest who, when he heard the German Paratroopers were landing, stuck two shotguns under his robe and grouped with locals and hunted them down - in some places the Cretans held back the Germans using hunting weapons and delaying tactics better then the British.

People as brave and hardy as that are people I'd like to meet.

My girlfriend borrowed it for me from the central library of Hamburg, since she works there, so I just grabbed it. It's got three parts with seven chapters each and it's the reissue from 2010 with an introduction note from Will Self.

Guest Jayfunk
thats the good one, in the US when the book was first released the Yanks cut the last chapter thus missing the character grow and the point of the book, while the rest of the world had the whole story but the film is based on the US version and doesn't contain the last chapter

Crete: The Downfall and the Resistance by Anthony Beever.

I like history books. I am a geek and I have find stuff to read to kill time before the next part of A Song of Fire and Ice or the Discworld series.

These are my two favourite series of books, I still haven't got round to ADWD yet though!

Do you have a favourite character series from Discworld? I'm still only really a third of the way through the series as i lean more toward Rincewind and Vimes and finding the motivation to read has been a struggle of late.

On the topic of what are you reading I'm currently reading 'To Be The Man' for what could be the 15th time. It's the book that brought me breifly back to wrestling but most importantly led me to this site with all you wonderful people!

I meant more toward the series of books like rincewinds books, the watch books, the witches etc. Character wise there is a plethora of great ones a few of which you have mentioned. I always liked TwoFlower and Nobbs and Colon (tee hee)

I really did gravitate toward the watch centric books mostly, my favourite of all his works is Nigh****ch though I absolutely love the book

The Watch books are also a favourite of mine, the Lipwig books second, then Death's in third.

You need to read The Last Continent were Death goes to Four Eck's (the Discworld version of Australia) to hunt down Rincewind. Also Hogfather, Snuff, Jingo, Going Postal and Monstrus Regiment. In fact everyone needs to read those book in my opinion.

Of those I haven't read The Hogfather, Monsterous Regiment or Snuff. Half, I have read half of those books and I have about 30 Pratchett books but I think maybe 3/4 aren't discworld, I don't any of the above though, so good call!

Guest Yodahew
Started book 1 of the walking dead this morning and finished it already. Brilliant book. Need to buy 2 and 3 now if im going at this rate. Lol

Everyone should read every Discworld book, they're all fantastic. Even the Y/A books are excellent. The Science of Discworld books are also very good.

Vimes is probably my favorite character, though Vetinari, Death, Susan and Granny Weatherwax are all close on his tails. Carrot is also hilarious.

Nothing is better then when Carrot either goes back to the Dwarf mines or when he plays dumb with Vimes.

Lady Sybil as well is a great character, Dragons! Dragons! is worth the read for her and Vimes awkward love affair alone because it is so comical and brutal in its honesty plus Thief of Time, what a magnificent book that is. More rancid yak butter?

People always give me stick, at least the ones I know, when I say it is an injustice that JK Rowling is now the best selling fantasy or sci-fi author in Britain and not Pratchett. Or when I say that is she nowhere near as funny, topical, satirical or original as him either. But for me, its true - Pratchett should go down as one of, if not the, best author of fiction this country has produced.

Edited by Evil Gringo

Rowling isn't even close to Pratchett, not by a long road.

I'd go so far as to say that there are very few authors in fantasy or sci fi who come close his ability at just world building. His world-building is probably the best I've ever read, and it doesn't need the 10 billion words it takes Tolkein and so many others. Discworld is so unique and different, and yet it's a perfect mirror to the absurdity of our world.

That's not mentioning his humor, his characterization, his pacing and plotting, his cleverness at employing and subverting tropes and the million other things that make him a supreme author. His early onset dementia is one of life's cruel jokes, that a man so sharp and witty can have his mind stolen away is an abomination.