Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XIII: 2014

Hello guys and girls!

This club is straight forward, our picks will look back on tracks that were released in 2014.

So give a shout out on if you want in.

Participants:

GO!

King (has to review Shaun and Megz)

27th January

Maxximus (Must review everyone)

1st February

Shao

6th February

Shaun2J

11th February

Omega

16th February

dsrchris (Has to review Shaun and Megz)

Edited by Shaun2J

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, here's the running order.

GO!

King

27th January

Maxximus

1st February

Shao

6th February

Shaun2J

11th February

Omega

16th February

dsrchris

Edited by Shaun2J

First up is Noel Gallagher's first single from his second solo album, I really like this tune and have really high hopes for the new album,

[video=youtube;FIIZnZ-pgDI]

Next up is ol Slim Shady himself Eminem with Guts over Fear, I'm not a huge fan of his but really like this tune.

[video=youtube;0AqnCSdkjQ0]

Noel Gallagher - In the Heat of the Moment

For a man so concerned that Ed Sheeran is playing Wembley he's not shy in making songs that sound like they've been designed solely to be car advert backing tracks. As a track it's ok but it's massively middle of the road, like if you took late nineties Manic Street Preachers and removed anything of artistic value from it then you'd get this.

5/10

Eminem Ft Sia - Guts over Glory

All of Eminem's songs sound exactly the same to me these days. They're all about being eminem the superstar and how terrible that is and the flow sounds exactly the same. Because I've been a massive Sia fan since before she exploded (/hipster) then I like the chorus but I genuinely could live the rest of my life never hearing a slim shady record ever again because I feel like I've heard everything he's ever going to write already 15 times.

3/10

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - In the Heat of the Moment

Yeah, I'm pretty much on the same side as Omega here. That and I'm not a fan of the output from the Gallagher's after post-Oasis. This track is kind of average and stripped down.

4/10

Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear

Again same as Megz, although I've got nothing against this song. I just have to question Em's strategy of bringing a single out and then have a lady like Rihanna or Skylar Grey that sing exactly the same on a track that's very similar to previous releases. Maybe it's not just Eminem but really something that's become quite a thing with mainstream Hip Hop releases.

5/10

King

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - In the Heat of the Moment

So for the record, I hated Oasis. And not in a "I'm more a Blur person" way, in a "what the hell is this, and why does everyone else love it so much?" way. This just kind of sounds like an even worse Oasis/Britpop-y type affair. Sorry man, Britpop just does not float my boat in the slightest.

2/10

Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear

Anyone who knows me knows I love big fat dirty beats and basslines behind my hip-hop, which is primarily why I'm not a big fan of Eminem. He's pretty skilled with his delivery and wordsmanship, but I'm always more enamoured with the beats than the lyrics. If it doesn't have a hook to drag me in, then I can take it or leave it really. I echo Megz' love for Sia, her voice just sounds great on anything anyone gets her to guest on. In fact, this would probably be better if it didn't actually have Eminem on and it was just a laid back Sia song. It's not awful, but it's not anything I'd go out my way to hunt down any time soon.

5/10

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - In the Heat of the Moment - And right away, a somewhat annoying 'na na na na na'. This didn't really do anything for me at all either way, apart from the 'na na na-ing' which irritated me slightly. Hard to rate...3/10, I guess.

Eminem ft Sia - Guts Over Fear - This is the type of Eminem song I'm not a big fan of...it's not that it's bad, because it's not, but I prefer his other earlier stuff to this type of song. The subject matter and lyrics were fine, but his delivery just didn't grab me. Sia did nothing for me whatsoever. Hard to rate, I'd like to rate it higher, but I don't think I could give it anything other than a 5/10. As I said, the lyrics were good, but the delivery could've used a bit more force. Also I wasn't a big fan of the beat either.

• 2 weeks later...