Fan Clubs (beta)

Music Club XIII: 2014

I read that in an Anne Robinson voice :lol. I for one am a culprit for leaving this on standby, so let's kick this in the ass. Megz it's your turn! Go!

I'll post my picks tomorrow.

Edited by Shaun2J

Here are my picks.

Brody Dalle - Underworld

This track is from her 2014 album Diploid Love and the El Mariachi Bronx are on this track too! I call dibs on Brody Dalle by the way, Josh Homme would still kick my ass though. I couldn't link the actual video, so you have to click the link.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/9536564/Brody_Dalle_Underworld

The Afghan Whigs - Algiers

The Afghan Whigs are a band I've known for some time but never really got into them till recently, even went to their gig yesterday which was damn good. This is from their comeback album Do to the Beast.

[video=youtube;H2ZhbEJnX0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ZhbEJnX0A

Edited by Shaun2J

So I'm going to do my picks now as well and I'll review Shaun's this week...

So as a single this was released first thing this year but the track was on the Album released last year so f*ck you i'm picking it...

[video=youtube;KWZGAExj-es]

Something a bit different for me as I'm not a massive EDM fan but I really really love this track and turn it up stupidly loud whenever I catch it on the radio:

[video=youtube;8lN0xBGWL-E]

• 2 weeks later...

So let's get this train chugging.

Sia - Elastic Heart

I appreciate Sia, although I don't know much about her, I think she's unique. It's just the voice, which is without a doubt very good, but to hard to distinguish. Hey, I could of thought that this was the lass who sang the last few Wrestlemania themes or so but I already said this with King's pick. That said, I like the song, which surprises me and that video is just a video man, the controversy is a bit over-blown I'd say.

7/10

Andy C & Fiora - Heartbeat Loud

Nah, I'm not digging this, it's not my thing I guess.

1/10

Brody Dalle - Underworld

So... I think Brody Dalle is hugely overrated. I think she's a massively average punk voice singing massively average punk songs and if she didn't happen to have been married to Tim Armstrong would never have been anywhere near as big. The fact she's now married to Josh Homme and releasing 4 minute punks songs with a minute of trumpet solos does nothing to make me think otherwise. 2/10

I quite liked the retro drumbeat and castanets, quite soothing. Not massively fussed on it but I wouldn't turn it off if I was driving and it came on the radio. 5/10

Brody Dalle - Underworld - "This video is not available in your country". I might have to find an alternate link and review it then.

The Afghan Whigs - Algiers - Like a lot of stuff posted in the music club, I think I'd like this more as an instrumental. The music is fine, but the vocals do nothing for me whatsoever. It felt like it dragged on a bit too, and for a four minute song, that isn't good. I'll be generous and give this one a 3/10.

Sia - Elastic Heart - Nope. I'm not a fan of these type of singy pop songs with quasi-hip hop beats, and this is no exception. Again, it would be fine as an instrumental, but the vocals do nothing for me, with the exception of the chorus. Also the video was really weird. Gains points for the music and the chorus, as I thought the chorus was actually pretty good, but the rest of the vocals did nothing for me, so it loses points there. A generous 4/10.

Andy C & Fiora - Heartbeat Loud - Argh, my biggest nemesis of the music club strikes again, that being vocals. I like the music in this, I don't like the vocals, and if this was an instrumental, I'd rate it pretty highly. But as it is with the vocals, it loses points. If this were instrumental I'd give it a 9, but as is, I'm giving it a 5.5/10.

Brody Dalle - Underworld - "This video is not available in your country". I might have to find an alternate link and review it then.

I figured this would be the case in some countries, I couldn't find it on Youtube but that could be due to restrictions on my part. Or try Spotify.

• 3 weeks later...

So last chance, I've updated the videos in this post as the change-over ditched the links. If we can't get this off the ground then I'll put the Music Club on the sidelines for a bit.

King

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - In The Heat Of The Moment

Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear

Shaun2J

Brody Dalle - Underworld

http://www.myvideo.de/musik/brody-dalle/underworld-video-m-9536564

If it doesn't work in your country, try Spotify etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ZhbEJnX0A

Omega

Sia - Elastic Heart

Andy C & Fiora - Heartbeat Loud