Fan Clubs | beta

The last film you watched

Guest bigmatt

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched White Men Can't Jump on Saturday on Netflix for the first time ever!!!!! bad I know. Such a great film
"You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit."

There are so many great quotes from that movie. :lol

Birdman. Birdman is awesome. Go see Birdman. Michael Keaten can have all the Oscars, retroactively, just all of them. Best Animated Short 1962. The lot.

I've got Birdman on my short list of things to watch. It looks really good.

Birdman, Birdman, Birdman, Birdman, Birdman. Birdman.

Birdman next!

Okay... Birdman wasn't just better than Nightcrawler, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It was start to finish amazing and yeah, Keaton for sure gave the performance of a lifetime. It was actually brilliantly acted all around and oh my god that cinematography! Easily top film of 2014 hands down and one I'll for sure be watching again.

Birdman, Birdman, Birdman, Birdman, Birdman, Birdman.

Guest John Hancock

BIIIIIIRDMAAAAAAAAAN. I just wish there was a way of typing the Birdman swarking noise he makes.

The cinematography dropped from a 12/10 to just a plain old 10/10 for me. I know Manhattan too well and, if you know Times Square, you can see the cuts. For example, there's no bar next to the St. James Theatre, it's just another theatre, so you know it's cutting in the doorway every time. That was more me showing off than actually criticising anything. There is nothing to criticise. It will be the best film of 2015. I can't decide between Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel for best film of the 2010s. Either way, it's amazing, and it made me want to laugh, cry, and make films, in that order.

That's right, you motherf*cker.

Edited by John Hancock

BIIIIIIRDMAAAAAAAAAN. I just wish there was a way of typing the Birdman swarking noise he makes.

http://i.imgur.com/4xXsSyd.png

...kinda xD

There were a few shots that legit dropped my jaw. Some of the best camera work I've seen in ages. There was editing involved but it was very very clever editing.

It's rare for a film to not only keep me riveted but to keep me guessing from the open to the credits. I feel like there's a lot to learn from this film too which is great for me. Means I get to watch it until I've had my feel and if I'm being honest, I have a hunger for this film. I can already tell it's gonna be a weekly watch for me for quite awhile. There's not a lot of films that I think are great, as well as critically successful that have a high re playability factor with me. Take 12 Years a Slave for example. Brilliant film that hits ALL the emotional notes and won critical acclaim of the highest honors that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's also one I never have to watch or ever want to watch again.

As much as I liked Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums, I honestly think it was my favorite Wes Anderson film. It's just so damn good. Beautiful story, amazing cast, brilliant set and costume design, and a wonderful script with great dialog. It's funny and very touching just like other Anderson films. An instant favorite.

I love Grand Budapest. It's like all his other movies have been practices of things he wanted to try, and this was the movie where he brought all that accumulated experience together. It's awesome. And not a hyperbolic awesome either, a genuine awesome.

Guest John Hancock
I love Grand Budapest. It's like all his other movies have been practices of things he wanted to try, and this was the movie where he brought all that accumulated experience together. It's awesome. And not a hyperbolic awesome either, a genuine awesome.

Totally agree, I think it was probably the only Wes Anderson film I really, really love, and it's, by faaaaaaaaaar, the funniest. The gun-fight for absolutely no reason, running away from the police, "What a lovely thing to say", the ridiculous system of secret monk instructions, Ralph Finnes' reaction to Willem DeFoe getting pushed off a cliff, the opening narrator getting shot with a tiny toy gun. But, not only is it really funny, but it's just really, and I hate to use this word, magical. It's just lovely; the stupid sets, the ski-chase, the model exteriors, it's like a Disney movie, like a Grand Budapest ride wouldn't be at all out of place in the Magic Kingdom theme park, it's just that sort of tone, and, even though it's about death, and sex, and murder, and the Holocaust, it's still got that fantasy world, clockwork, toy-store charm, where you're just happy to be in that little world.

Best Anderson film by a million miles, even though the shark scene from Life Aquatic is still my favourite Anderson moment. If I watch that scene a thousand times, I'll hold back tiny tears a thousand times.

"Do you think he remembers me?" is, possibly, my favourite one line in the history of cinema. I could write essays on how powerful and deep that one line is.

Guest Ciaran The King
As much as I liked Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums

For me it's Bottle Rocket, the acting, soundtrack, locations, characters are all spot on.

Guest dpddave

I watched Grand Budapest last night, I thought it started out great but with about 40 minutes left I got bored and kept checking the time to see of it was nearly over. Maybe I was just to tired, the dialogue was great, kinda reminded me of Deadwood in a way.

Watched Gone Girl recently to and loved it, tbf anything with Emily Ratawhatevers boobs in it is gonna be awesome.

I didn't really like Nightcrawler , it took me about 4 nights to watch it because I kept turning it and going back to it the following night. The lead was great but it just didn't interest me.

I have about 20 movies I need to get through, will probably watch Birdman or Inherent Vice tonight.

Edited by dpddave

Had an animated movie fest so to speak tonight starting with -

Son of Batman

The story of Bruce meeting his son Damian who becomes the newest Robin. It was pretty good actually. Deathstroke was awesome and it had some really cool Man-Bat action as well. Best bit for me was the interaction between Damian and Nightwing. Great stuff.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

That's right! Two weeks before the release I was treated to a "special viewing." Get on my level comic nerds.

I'm not a massive fan of the New52 stuff but I love the DC animated movies. They're always entertaining and well cast voice wise. If you liked Justice League: War, you'll like this one. The animation style is a bit over the top but still crisp and really clean looking. I like it. Both War and Throne of Atlantis are very good but still not as good as Justice League: Doom was. That one still stands out as my favorite followed by the throwback New Frontier.

If you like comics, comic book movies, and comic book cartoons, then check these both out. I'm sure you'll like 'em.

Next up for me is Boyhood followed by Gone Girl. I've been trying to get caught up on the "must see" films. Oscar season always gets me hype for watching a variety of films.

Margin Call, The Newsroom series 2, Moneyball and Remember The Titans. I love, love sports films and can happily rewatch these films over and over again. Remember the Titans has to be one of the best sports films and always makes you think.

For me next is Glory Road and Wildcats alongside The Art of The Steal and The Fault in Our Stars. I am hoping it is not as sad as it looks.

Guest dpddave
I watched Birdman last night, I enjoyed it but think the praise has been waaayyyyy over the top. It's not a movie I could ever see myself spending another two hours of my life watching again which is my way of deciding if a movie is great or not.