The last film you watched

Guest bigmatt

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest John Hancock
Birdman again, it's still great. I thought it was quite a bit funnier the second time, in a silly way. It might be on it's way to being one of my favourite films.

Guest The Beltster
Did they gloss over the Jesse Ventura lawsuit?
Wasnt mentioned at all. Seeing as the court sided with Jesse therefor legally stating the story wasnt true, it probably wouldnt have been a good idea to bring it up.

As a yearly tradition I watch all Oscar films for best picture. Currently half way there so far. But I have watched other films that have nominations in other categories.

Gone girl- completely ****ed up plot wise which is why i really like it. Rosamund Like deserves her nomination. She was outstanding.

Foxcatcher- not bad but not great. Watch it for Steve carrell in his best acting role he'll probably ever do. I question ruffalo getting best supporting actor nomination here not because he's bad in it but nothing to make me say wow.

Birdman- quirky and funny. I truly believe it's going to win best editing at Oscars and has a shot at best picture. Keaton won't win best actor and neither Emma stone in supporting actress but Ed Norton has a shot. Oh for whoever said Zach galafinakis got screwed. Completely agree. Easily his best film he's done.

Also a big go **** yourself to the academy for not giving Fiennes a Oscar nomination. He was fantastic in grand Budapest hotel (if you haven't seen it go watch it!)

I'd say eddie redmayne is winning it for me as best actor and best film out of 4 I've seen is close to call. Boyhood seems to be the film everyone's talking about so looking forward to seeing it along with imitation game, Selma and whiplash.

Guest pheadley

stuck on eight legged freaks last night because ive never watched it before, i was sleeping by 8:30.

and just watched planet terror there for the first time, that has to be the most over the top craziest movie i have ever watched.

Edited by pheadley

Guest Sparrow

Tusk. You can see where Kevin Smith tries his hardest to be Tarantino with some of his dialogue and some of his camera shots. Micheal Parks and Justin Long killed it, it's just them two for most of the film and every thing they do together is gold, I have a feeling that's Parks for than Long. Not too sure about the ending I easily picked it a part and it ruined it for me, the whole ending felt like an inside joke I wasn't involved in because I don't listen to the Podcast but other than that I enjoyed it.

I enjoy Smith's later films where he seems like he is trying to shy away from geekier films and move on to obscure stuff. For me Smith has made two decent films Red State and Tusk.

The Walrus costume will leave you disturbed!

Interstellar.

Utterly fantastic film. It's literally hard scifi with a heart. I loved everything about it especially the little nods to Stanley Kubrick. Easily Chris Nolan's best film for me. He's earned his place in top ten favorite directors with this one.

The visuals and soundtrack alone are superb. The cast is above average with some brilliant performances, especially from Bill Irwin who played TARS. There's just the tiniest touch of cheese from Matthew McConaughey but it's Matthew McConaughey, you're gonna get a little touch of cheese. It dosen't take anything away from the film and even makes his character a little more believable as a former test pilot/engineer turned farmer turned savior.

There are some very cool twists and turns. One of them being very unexpected but SO welcomed once it unfolded. I won't even spoiler tag it. I'll just say, you'll know what/who I'm referring to if/when you see it.

I've just watched it a few days ago and I'm still basking in the afterglow but I'm honestly thinking it topped 2001 for me as my all time favorite scifi film. There are definitely elements of Kubrick's 2001. Some are obvious but some are very cleverly veiled in a way that really made me sit up and pay attention when I noticed them. I feel like I've only scratched the surface with this film and will need to go back a few times to catch things I may have missed. Not necessarily the hard science concepts, if you're at least familiar with those concepts it's very simple to grasp for such a complex film. I'm talking more the overall vision, setting, cinematography and of course the underlying themes.

If you're a massive scifi fan you'll love this film. Again, it's hard scifi, but there are a few action elements, and even a bit of a love story to keep both the adrenalin junkies and those of a lighter heart interested. I HIGHLY recommend Interstellar. It may just be my favorite film of 2014 right after Birdman.

Glorious. 5/5

Guest Sparrow

Lucy which was an okay little sci-fi flick, couldn't establish a lock on the character or story and then by the time I did it was over. 20 mins too short for me but the action was cool, like a baby inception meets Leon. I liked the idea of the movie but could have been a lot better and I wish it was better, just because I want the man who gave me Léon and The Fifth Element to do better than the Family.

The Guest was a nice little movie, a John Carpenter action film. Dan Stevens killed it and hopefully bright things for him now.

Birdman again, it's still great. I thought it was quite a bit funnier the second time, in a silly way. It might be on it's way to being one of my favourite films.

Finally got around to watching it. WEIRD but in the best possible way.

Guest pheadley
watched the hills have eyes 2 last night, wasnt that scary or anything but ended up having night terrors. scared the hell out of the missus roaring that theres something in the room :lol

Guest ScottyB

Kingsman.

Really enjoyed it. Very Scott Pilgrim/Kick Ass in terms of being a light hearted comic book adaptation. Good performances by everyone.

Guest John Hancock
Grand Budapest Hotel and The Royal Tenenbaums.

Never seen a Wes Anderson film before these two. Now I wanna see them all.

You've already seen the best one, so it's downhill from here. Watch Life Aquatic at least though.

Also, regarding American Sniper;

[video=youtube;_xfDx4WBHJA]

Guest Edgehead
American Reunion. Had no idea this film existed until it was shown on channel 4 last night. Was pretty sh*t compared to the original American Pie but was cool to see the original cast back together after those god awful spin offs.

Guest Ciaran The King
Watched Locke on Netflix, Tom Hardy was really good as he was on screen alone for 94 minutes. Well acted, this was a really good simple film. Worth it if you like Phonebooth