Martial Arts

UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz

Guest John Hancock

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster
if I was Diaz, I'd sue them for putting my life at risk.
:lol How dramatic. Like Anderson is going to murder Diaz to DEATHHHHHH because he had metabolites (which is trace shit at best, not like he was 1984 Hulk Hogan) of the type of steroids used to cut weight and recover from injuries in his system. Come on now, lets not be ridiculous.

Reality is Anderson is a 40 year old guy who came back from a gruesome snapped leg in 13 months, and was ready to fight in 11 months. Are we all going to act surprised that he could do that naturally? The vast majority of anybody in the top 10 of every weight class in the UFC is likely on some sort of PED, thats just how it is.

They should just legalise the shit, makes it more fun when people are roided anyway. Overeem was a beast before they took way his doctors goodie bag, now he sucks.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest John Hancock
Using steroids should be result in a lifetime ban

Funnily enough, in an interview, obviously from a few years ago, Silva agrees with you.

For the record, Silva is pleading his innocence. Looooooot's of media outlets calling this the worst day in UFC history. That's probably a bit of an exaggeration, but it's up there. The real controversy, as Jack said, is why the fight was allowed to go ahead after the test was done. Did UFC know? Did they put pressure on the Commission to make the fight happen and bury the test result until it was all done? It's also dragged up the still murky issue as to why Jon Jones received no punishment at all for a his own drug test failure.

This could get really, really messy. And I'm expecting Dana White to get a camera and a microphone and make everything a thousand times worse by saying something stupid any minute now.

Guest The Beltster

UFC dont always know the results of out of competition testing before the fights because out of competition tests arent considered that important. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they've been trying to change it so they get all out of competition results back within 7-10 days rather than the usual 3-4 week wait. Seems pretty simple to get shit done quicker to me but eh, I guess these fools like to take their time.

As for Jones, he was fined $25,000. What more can you do to him, it was out of competition and for a drug that isn't banned out of competition or considered a PED.

Guest John Hancock
Well that's the sensible answer, but come on, it's the internet and sports media, that shit isn't going to fly. OUTRAGE!

Guest The Beltster

They'll jump all over it and nobody will care in a week. Weather the storm boys, I'm sure Jon Jones will do something stupid again to take the heat off you.

And did anybody expect Diaz to pass the weed test?! :lol

Guest John Hancock
I don't even really understand how weed is still on the test. It's basically legal in America now anyway, it's like testing for alcohol or tobacco. There's four states where it's completely legal, I think about 14 where it's "decriminalised" and about another eight where it's legal with a license (a license Nick Diaz has, by the way). I'm not a fan of steroids, and don't want them legalised in any sport for a variety of reasons, but who seriously gives a f*ck about whether one of the fighters might have been recently high or not?

Guest The Beltster
I agree, and as a bloke who's never even tried smoking a regular cigarette, you'll never see me advocating weed or whatever other drugs (except steroids, let them all get jacked I dont care) but yeah, let the guy, who obviously has severe social anxiety issues on top of whatever else, have his dope. He has a f*cking medical marijuana licence anyway as you mentioned so whats the problem? For whatever reason, they class it as a PED...I've seen people who are stoned, they are not enhanced in any way.

For whatever reason, they class it as a PED...I've seen people who are stoned, they are not enhanced in any way.

This would be my argument for it. How does getting stoned enhance anything (other than your appetite)? Like I said, if a stoner can climb into the octagon with Silva and make it through the other side, they probably deserve some kind of award. :lol

Guest The Beltster
According to Meltzer they have raised the level of weed you're allowed in your system by x3 before failing and Diaz still failed, meaning he must have basically been smoking a joint on his way to the Octagon :lol

You'd think that three drug test failures would mean that Diaz won't get licensed in commission states any more, but I know better than to believe that my dream can come true.

Weed is considered a painkiller, pretty much thanks to Diaz winning against Takanori Gomi and failing by such a margin that literally suggested he smoked it before walking out. Also it's still illegal for non-medical use in Nevada and Diaz' stupid card only covers him in California.

Guest The Beltster
His card doesnt even cover him in Cali because its not a legality thing with weed, its a rules thing. Its banned by athletic commissions because they consider it a PED, not because it might be illegal. There are lots of perfectly legal over-the-counter things you can buy in health stores that would get you a failed drug test in athletic competitions.

Guest John Hancock
Weed is considered a painkiller, pretty much thanks to Diaz winning against Takanori Gomi and failing by such a margin that literally suggested he smoked it before walking out. Also it's still illegal for non-medical use in Nevada and Diaz' stupid card only covers him in California.

I'd take all the UFC's weed tests with a much larger pinch of salt than you appear to be (along with anything Joe Rogan says about weed, which is like listening to the Pope's rational opinion of the life of Jesus). The key word is "metabolites". The drugs are never found in anyone's system, it's always the metabolites. If someone was actually high, you'd find the drug in their system, the actual drug. When the drug has left their system, the metabolites stay behind. Marijuana metabolites stay in the system for about a week. There is absolutely no evidence what so ever from the results so far that Diaz smoked whilst in Nevada. If he had smoked, legally, in California, he still would have failed the drug test, because it's a hair and/or urine test, not a blood test. When we hear the blood-test results, we'll know if the drug itself was actually in his system, but, with the results that have been released so far, there's no way anyone can say that without guessing or lying.

As Belty said, the legality of what he did isn't really anything to do with whether or not be broke the rules. There's no evidence that he broke the law, but it's very obvious he broke the rules. The argument is that it's a stupid rule.

:lol How dramatic. Like Anderson is going to murder Diaz to DEATHHHHHH because he had metabolites (which is trace shit at best, not like he was 1984 Hulk Hogan) of the type of steroids used to cut weight and recover from injuries in his system. Come on now, lets not be ridiculous.

Reality is Anderson is a 40 year old guy who came back from a gruesome snapped leg in 13 months, and was ready to fight in 11 months. Are we all going to act surprised that he could do that naturally? The vast majority of anybody in the top 10 of every weight class in the UFC is likely on some sort of PED, thats just how it is.

They should just legalise the shit, makes it more fun when people are roided anyway. Overeem was a beast before they took way his doctors goodie bag, now he sucks.

Fighting is already dangerous enough without the competitors to be allowed to elevate their performance, regardless of what the effect of the drug is. Drostanolone isn't just used to cut weight either, it increases strength so while 'PUT HIS LIFE AT RISK!!!' may seem melodramatic, in a sport as serious as MMA, Diaz would have a solid case if NSAC did know about it and did nothing until after the event. If the UFC were told and they did nothing or attempted to cover it up, Diaz would have a strong case against them too.

It's just too dangerous a sport to allow people to take PEDs. They make fighters fitter, strong and more powerful but you can't take PEDs to help your brain take that extra punishment, so it's not like it could all even itself out either. Last year I must have seen a dozen fighters get serious brain injuries and I've no doubt we'd see more deaths if PEDs were allowed.

I don't even really understand how weed is still on the test. It's basically legal in America now anyway, it's like testing for alcohol or tobacco. There's four states where it's completely legal, I think about 14 where it's "decriminalised" and about another eight where it's legal with a license (a license Nick Diaz has, by the way). I'm not a fan of steroids, and don't want them legalised in any sport for a variety of reasons, but who seriously gives a f*ck about whether one of the fighters might have been recently high or not?
I think it's categorised as a painkiller so I could see why it'd help performance in that sense, though I suppose it'd also be effective as a relaxant for fighters who suffer with nerves before bouts too. I'm not sure if that's part of the reason why it's banned or whether it's just because it's effective as a painkiller, though I think it deserves to remain a banned substance. I wouldn't encourage any young fighter to try it before a bout if it was allowed though :lol:

Guest John Hancock

Some more positive news; The Tate vs. McMann fight was the most watched prelim fight in Fox Sports 1 history (just under 2million viewers), the post-fight show was the second most watched UFC post-fight ever, the event itself is now the 14th best gate in UFC history (£4.5million) and, overall, the pay-per-view probably did about 650,000 buys. Meanwhile, in Brazil, ratings would suggest that 60% of all the T.V.s in Brazil that were turned on during the fight, were watching the fight. And that's on tape delay. During the live fight, which was at 2am Brazilian time, the viewing figure was 2million.

You know how people talk about WWE's 8.4 rating being an unbeatable high point? In the city of Brasilia, UFC 183 did a 20.0. That's not a typo, it's not a 2.0, it's a twenty point oh.

Guest The Beltster

Who are these dozen fighters who got serious brain injuries last year and in what MMA organisation did they work? I fully expect you to say they were all boxers, which is a totally different and 100% more dangerous sport than MMA for brain injuries. In MMA, you aren't going through 12 rounds of constant punches to the head. Even jabs after a while add up and f*ck you up. In MMA is 95% 3 round fights with 5% 5 rounders and once you get nailed pretty good the fight is generally called and its over. Unless you're GSP, most guys dont take hits to the head over and over and over again. I dont consider MMA to be a massively dangerous sport in regards to head injuries like boxing.

Regardless, the statement that his life was in danger was crazy and way over the top. That drug is generally used for cutting weight. I'm not saying Anderson was using it to cut weight, but he may have been. The guy hasn't had to cut weight in 13 months and at 40 its probably harder, plus I'm certain he was taking stuff for his leg, it seems crazy to think he wasn't. Anything to strengthen that leg.

Look, we've got a guy with an impeccable record, no drug test failures, its not like an "oh look, Anderson got caught again!" situation. So I cant imagine he was taking it thinking it would make him a much better fighter. But eh, maybe he was, who knows. It sucks either way for him.

As for Diaz and the weed, painkilling effects aside, if you get punched in the face when you're stoned, you're still getting dropped plus your defence would be slow and useless. I dont think theres a case for dope being a PED.

You know how people talk about WWE's 8.4 rating being an unbeatable high point? In the city of Brasilia, UFC 183 did a 20.0. That's not a typo, it's not a 2.0, it's a twenty point oh.
I dunno why WWE harp on that number for the This is Your Life thing on RAW, an 8.4 is what? 8-9 million people? Hogan vs Andre 2 on a Friday night episode of SNME pulled in over 33 MILLION viewers and they never mention that. Edited by The Beltster

Guest John Hancock
I dunno why WWE harp on that number for the This is Your Life thing on RAW, an 8.4 is what? 8-9 million people? Hogan vs Andre 2 on a Friday night episode of SNME pulled in over 33 MILLION viewers and they never mention that.

It's industry jargon, it doesn't really translate into a specific number of viewers. Roughly, it's the percentage of people who are able to see your show who are watching it live. So, RAW, getting an 8.4 on Universal or whatever it was back then basically means that 8.4% of the people who have T.V.s were watching RAW that night. Andre/Hogan was, apparently, a 15.2, meaning, again, roughly, just over 15% of people who owned televisions watched it.

Guest The Beltster
When WWE pull a 3.2 or whatever its usually about 4 million right? So lets say that the 8.4 was about 10 million. Still way under Hogan/Andre. Come on WWE, get with it homies.

Guest John Hancock
Yeah, about that, a 3.0ish is 4 million viewersish, but it doesn't really translate across time, because it's related to population size, and the amount of people with T.V.s, and other wacky things thrown in there just to confuse people, like, a 3.0 in 2014 is 4million, but a 15.0 in the 1980s was 33million; the scale's a little off. I looked up the Andre/Hogan rating and it says it's still the record holder for America's most watched pro-wrestling moment in history. According to Meltzer, I seem to remember, the This Is Your Life segment rating (or that rating being RAW's highest) isn't even true anyway. Edited by John Hancock

Guest The Beltster

:lol WWE working the ratings.

- According to Cage Potato, fighters busted for PED's are 19-24-1 in the fights in which they test positive.
So....guys who are using PED's and who are caught have proven to lose more than they win.