Martial Arts

Boxing and MMA Forum Random Comments 2015

King

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another huge fight for this PPV :)

A huge addition has been made to the UFC 189 card in Las Vegas. That’s the night Conor McGregor will face off against Jose Aldo for the UFC Featherweight title.

At a press conference this evening, where a new, stricter drug testing regime was announced by the organisation for main event and championship bouts, Dana White named the co-main event for July 11th.

Rory MacDonald will get his title shot as he takes on Robbie Lawler for the UFC Welterweight crown.

It will be Lawler’s first defence since taking the belt from Johny Hendricks at UFC 181 in December. MacDonald is on a three fight winning streak with his last loss actually coming against Lawler in March of last year.

It was already set to be a hugely interesting card but this addition is certainly a major bonus for anyone who has already book their tickets for Vegas.

Guest bigmatt

The top four fights on UFC 187 in May:

Jon Jones © vs. Anthony Johnson

Chris Weidman © vs. Vitor Belfort

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Donald Cerrone

Travis Browne vs. Andrei Arlovski

Yikes. That could be great if it doesn't fall apart.

Guest John Hancock

Look at UFC giving a shit about card depth now they've got new drug tests. Sneaky UFC.

If this all works though, I'm loving this new "two titles a show" deal. This means there'll be two title fights at UFC 185, UFC 186 AND UFC 187.

I really hope that it all goes fine though and that is the card we get. I've wanted to see Weidman v Belfort for sometime now and if he fights like he did against Lyoto then he is going to battered. However if he fights like Chris Weidman can and should fight then I can see him getting the win inside three.

As for Jones v Johnson, Jones wins the fight using better wrestling and his reach as usual, he'll get the win via a choke inside four I reckon. However I more looking forward to Jones being the heel he should be and now sort of is in the lead up to the fight.

Guest John Hancock
189 too apparently, Aldo/McGregor and Lawler/MacDonald.

Well there you go! Four out of five, and I assume 188 gets the heavyweight title, which counts as two titles.

Guest bigmatt

I just watched the Golovkin/Murray fight from last night. If you're in the U.K it's on Channel 5's catch-up service Demand 5, I don't know if they block it for other countries. I enjoyed it and was impressed with Murray. I know he barely won a round but he had skills and guts. If he had more power or a way of pushing GGG back it would have been really interesting. He had the size to go at him but the power GGG had wouldn't allow it and he couldn't hurt him. Well worth a watch. Some of the 168 pounders will be buoyed by some of that, I think.

I'll seek out David Price's fight next and I think my man Tony Thompson's rematch with Odlanier Solis was Friday or Saturday night. I'll look for that.

Guest bigmatt
That's harsh. He's better than that. He's only lost to Tony Thompson who is a shrewd, troublesome southpaw. And at the time was probably a top 5 heavyweight in ability. It's difficult to know how good he is at the minute though. He needed to take a step back and rebuild but I'd love to see him test himself in a different style. His first opponent on the comeback trail was a can, the next three were all solid journeymen fighters but they were all very similar. Around the 6ft 2-3" mark, heavy, slow, tough, durable fighters with good power but not much speed or skill (especially when you consider Price's physical advantages). He's back to talking about Joshua and Tyson Fury and Wilder now, I'd like to see him fight someone a bit different that will make him fight differently and test himself. I'd love to see him go against someone good with the same size or bigger like a Ustinov or a fast, skilful boxer like a Chambers or Cunningham or somebody.

I don't think it's harsh to be honest, I mean if he fought Joshua or Fury now, Price would be the underdog, Wladimir Klitschko would destroy him so would Wilder, and if even if Haye came back he would beat Price.

I like him don't get me wrong but he will never ever be at the really top level.

Guest bigmatt
Not being a top level fighter and being a journeyman are different things though. All you've said is that the two current world heavyweight champions (and one of them an all-time great) beat him and a former world heavyweight champion beats him. That doesn't make him a journeyman. Price would be the betting underdog against Joshua and Fury but he's a live dog in both fights. Wlad is the best in the world. I can't agree that Wilder destroys him though. Wilder has just as many limitations as Price and Price has top level power.

[video=youtube;6oj-WD5VfMk]

This is Josh Neer (5'11" - 170lbs) wailing away on an internet troll by the name of Patrick Martin (6'6" - 270lbs) who was talking shit to him over social media, as well as trolling others about how shit at fighting various MMA guys were and how he could beat them.

Neer said he had had enough, decided to call Martin out on his claims and the above video is the result of that.

Credit: Bloody Elbow

Guest The Beltster

I'm all for somebody sorting somebody out who talks shit about them but the last few of those elbows and especially that football punt to the head at the end seemed extremely unnecessary. I wouldn't be shocked if this video lands him in a world of shit.

EDIT: Why does he have small MMA gloves on while the other bloke has boxing gloves on? Thats ludicrous.

Neer shoulda submitted him, way less likely to land Neer in shit, plus it's way more degrading to tap like a 6'6" bitch than it is getting wailed on.

Also, a professional should behave like one, and not a school yard bully.

Edited by etz

Guest bigmatt

Tyson Fury vs. Christian Hammer later on tonight. I think at around the 10:00pm mark, UK time. Fury weighed in at 260 pounds, Hammer at 248. Fury looked in good shape.

The bookies have it between: 1/14 - 1/20 for Fury and 7/1 - 10/1 Hammer.

Guest bigmatt

Tony Thompson vs. Odlanier Solis was last night not last Friday. I was trying to avoid spoilers but I chanced across one. I've not watched it yet but big TT scored another win (Solis retired on his stool after the 8th) and now Tony's back in the Boxrec top 10 at number 7. The world title journey continues! Deontay Wilder next please!

I'll have to keep the avatar now.