Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Boxing and MMA Forum Random Comments 2015

King

Guest bigmatt
I was very close to putting a good bet down on Nelson knocking Overeem out when the odds were extremely tempting. I'm glad I didn't now.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigmatt
Are Sky Box office showing Mayweather/Pacquiao?/, I didn't see any adds for it yet.

I had the same thought and so checked around about a week ago and the story was that BoxNation and Sky were competing to get the UK broadcast rights. The rights were expensive as you can imagine, Sky were favourites but BoxNation hadn't given up. It was also speculated that it would be a higher PPV price than normal. I have no idea if all that's true but that was the story. I'll have to have a look around again and see if there is any more news.

Wonder if Hendricks is the number one contender to the 170lb belt now with that victory over Brown? Barring a rematch between Lawler and McDonald he has to have next surely at this stage?

Also Joanna Jędrzejczyk is a scary women.

I read somewhere that Dana wasn't a big fan of the performance or something like that?

Guest bigmatt

Ricky Hatton on Gennady Golovkin: "Golovkin? Jesus Christ, an animal. You know what I mean? Imagine finding him in bed with your missus, you'd tuck him in, wouldn't you?"

(16:14)

Jessamyn Duke and Shayna Baszler are a bit pap though, I don't see anything from Correia that should prevent Rousey from beating her.

The only slight issue might be her fighting outside the US and needing to spend the last week pre-fight in Brazil but Ronda has competed in the Olympics and Judo tournaments abroad so I don't see that being the biggest issue in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

A court has granted Bellator's request for an injunction to stop Quinton Jackson fighting at UFC 186 so his fight with Fabio Maldonado is off and his UFC contract may be completely invalid if this goes further.

The show itself is looking horrendous, headlined by Demetrious Johnson (bad start) against Kyoji Horiguchi (yikes) the only real major name on the show is Michael Bisping who is fighting CB Dolloway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest John Hancock

The Nevada Athletic Commission has introduced a new set of punishments for failed drugs tests in MMA and they are haaaaaaarsh.

- Any fight where one fighter fails a post-fight drugs test is ruled as a win for the clean fighter, no matter what the result of the fight was. No more "no contests".

- Failing a steroids test is more harshly punished than failing a recreational drugs test. The new first-offence punishment for a steroid test failure is two years and half your purse.

- The punishment increases with each offence, both in terms of the length of the suspicion, and the size of the fine.

- Four failures for sedatives or weight-cutting drugs, or three failures for steroids or drugs is a lifetime ban.

- If you try to avoid giving a sample, it's a four year ban. Do it twice, it's a lifetime ban.

Some of these things are going to change as they're amended and stuff, but the word is that, if anything, they'll be amended to get harsher, not softer.

I think we're about to see a big drop off in guys over 35 in the UFC in the next few months.

I agree that we will probably see a drop off in the older guys on the roster, no more little shortcuts and slaps on the wrists.

Will the measures be retro-active as well? So for instance, Nate Diaz's previous and numerous failed tests being added to any new ones should he fight again?

Guest The Beltster
The new first-offence punishment for a steroid test failure is two years and half your purse.
Its actually 3 years for the 1st offence and up to 75% of your purse. Here are the full details according to MMAFighting.com

Tier 1: Sedatives, Muscle relaxants, Sleep aids, Anxiolytics, Opiates, Cannabis

• 1st offense: 18-month suspension, fine of 30-40% of fighter's purse
  • 2nd offense: 24-month suspension, fine of 40-50% of fighter's purse
  • 3rd offense: 36-month suspension, fine of 60-75% of fighter's purse
  • 4th offense: Lifetime suspension, fine of 100% of fighter's purse

Tier 2: Diuretics being used to cut weight

• 1st offense: 24-month suspension, fine of 30-40% of fighter's purse
  • 2nd offense: 36-month suspension, fine of 40-60% of fighter's purse
  • 3rd offense: Lifetime suspension, fine of 100% of fighter's purse

Tier 3: Stimulants (Amphetamines, Cocaine, Etc.)

• 1st offense: 24-month suspension, fine of 35-45% of fighter's purse
  • 2nd offense: 36-month suspension, fine of 50-60% of fighter's purse

Tier 4: Anabolic steroids (includes Testosterone, HGH)

• 1st offense: 36-month suspension, fine of 50-75% of fighter's purse
  • 2nd offense: 48-month suspension, fine of 75-100% of fighter's purse

Tier 5: Avoiding testing/detection/urine sample not of human origin or not of tested athletes, Adulterants, Drugs (including diuretics) used as masking agents

• 1st offense: 48-month suspension, fine of 75% of fighter's purse
  • 2nd offense: Lifetime suspension, fine of 100% of fighter's purse