Fan Clubs (beta)

Suicide Squad

DC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, just nope.

Why can the DC universe be made into fantastic TV programmes but the people behind the movies couldn't hit a barn door from a foot away?

I know they are trying to be different then Nolan or Burton in terms of looks but you don't have to, that was how the Joker looked, it is the story and the performance that can provide the difference and the uniqueness.

Seen as the painted on abs are back on the Bat-Suit I suppose its not to long before Bat-Nipples reappear, Deadshot will look like a member of Seal Team 6, Super-Girl will be a goth with trust issues and Lex Luthor will have hair.

Guest The Beltster

Looks fine to me aside from the tooth caps. Tats will be covered up by his clothes so thats fine, intact I wouldn't be shocked if all those body tats are just for the promo pic and aren't actually on his body during the show. He looks scrawny and deranged so that works for me.

And you say "Thats how the Joker looked" in regards to the Nolan/Ledger version, when was that? I dont ever recall him looking that way...did I miss it?

People, you must stop judging things before you see the final performance.

The suits and clothes and such, no tats or tooth caps or daft stuff. The rest of it just fit, green hair, scarred face just a more grungy version of the classic version. It was a departure not so much of one that it was a distraction and you could argue Nolan was just trying to make the Joker more real whilst still keeping the chaotic core and maliciousness.

But there is no scars here, there are facial tattoos and tooth caps, it just screams they are trying to distance themselves, at least aesthetically from previous incarnations of the Joker for no real reason in a huge manner that is quite frankly at the moment distraction

I agree the performance is the key though, but with the people involved I shudder to think if they will give Leto, who is more then capable of giving a good performance as Joker, the actual material needed to produce one.

Guest The Beltster

Like I said, this is a promo pic. The guy likely won't walk around shirtless and will surely wear the normal Joker-esque clothing. But yeah, the Nolan Joker was nothing like what he had ever looked like, so saying you dont like this because its a departure from what the Joker looks like means you'd have to dislike the Nolan one too. The Joker never had scars or a weird, greasy flock of seagulls haircut.

I'm not really high or low on this, they change looks on these comic guys quite a bit, they change races and genders sometimes too so this is ok. I'll watch it and see how he performs. If he performs crap, it won't matter how he looks I suppose, it'll still be crap.

The only thing that bothers me really is the "damaged" tattoo on his forehead. Other than that I think he looks okay. Like others have said, I'm gonna wait until we get a glimpse at the actual performance before I get all snippy.

Guest John Hancock

Wait, those are supposed to be tattoos!? I thought they were insinuating that he'd gotten all sweaty and fallen asleep on a copy of Killing Joke, because, outside of PlayStation 2 era Smackdown games, those don't like any tattoos I've ever seen.

My only hope is that it's so shit, that I'd imagine it's a rough run-through. The permanent marker tattoos, the boring make-up, the twink haircut, hopefully, hopefully, it's just a rough draft that they're planning on altering. I don't hate the teeth, I like the eyes, the hair colour looks f*cking stupid, but I guess it at least makes sense. The really just laughably awful stuff, the tattoos and the preppy haircut, I just hope they'll drift off into the ether before the film's finished.

Other than how hilariously fake they look, thing that makes me laugh about the tattoos is who did them? Like, in the storyline, who did all those tattoos. They have the imagination and the coolness of a doodling 12 year old Linkin Park fan, but, if we just assume that this incarnation of Joker is particularly lame, who's the artist who did them? It's not the Joker himself, he's insane, he couldn't write that neatly, especially with both hands. It's not one of this henchmen, they're braindead lunatics, they couldn't do anything that neat, and, even if they could, they wouldn't think of doing it. It's not a professional artists, because... why? And, if it was, that would suggest Joker was given the opportunity to pick out some tattoos for himself, and a psychotic maniac, a murderous, obsessive, possible drug abusing, sociopathic, completely detached, possible rapist couldn't think of anything wackier than that stock 40 year fat man at the metal bar "skull in a jester's hat" tattoo? Like, that it? You sexually assaulted Barbara Gordon to make a point to one guy who you knew wouldn't tell anyone about it, just so they'd listen to your nonsense, and then you got a tattoo, a very neat, very well done tattoo, in just plain black, of a FUCKING SKULL IN A JESTER'S HAT!?

As ever, allow me to fix everything in one simple change. Ready?;

You see those "haha" tattoos? Change them to "haha" scars. All problems solved.

(Or, do some fucking research for once and look up Russian prison tattoos. Can you imagine the insanity of the Joker with a full body Russian-style, shittly-done, subtly suggestive collage of all the things he's done for the Easter egg fans to analyse?)

A few people are suggesting the teeth caps could possibly be replacements for the ones Batman has knocked out in fights over the years, while the look is inspired by the version seen in The Dark Knight Returns (which would make chronological sense as this is directly tied to the battle-weary Ben Affleck Batman from the upcoming BvS). The look of the Joker also has similarities with Tony Daniel's run (physique, topless).

There's also some suggesting this image itself is just a promotional shot, while others feel that it could actually be a joke to get people talking.

What I'm waiting on now is the reveal of what Killer Croc, played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Kurse from Thor 2 and Simon in Oz), is going to look like.

Edited by DC

Guest John Hancock
What I'm waiting on now is the reveal of what Killer Croc, played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Kurse from Thor 2 and Simon in Oz), is going to look like.

Just leaked;

http://www.andersons.com/~/media/products/hs/school-spirit/mascots/46314quick-gator-mascot-costume-000.ashx?w=300&h=300&bc=ffffff

I frickin' love the idea of switching out the HAHAHA tats for scars. He may not of tattooed himself, but you could certainly make a case that the Joker is the kinda guy to carve letters into his skin. Although you'd still get fanboys spazzing out about it being too much like Zsasz.

I frickin' love the idea of switching out the HAHAHA tats for scars. He may not of tattooed himself, but you could certainly make a case that the Joker is the kinda guy to carve letters into his skin. Although you'd still get fanboys spazzing out about it being too much like Zsasz.
You could (at a stretch) say Joker had Zsasz do it for him.

Yeah, it's a tally chart of his victims (which really won't help his defence in court, truth be told), with four on his forehead because the fifth on that section is reserved for Batman.

Guest John Hancock
To be fair who thought heath would have been a good joker

That's really not at all the point.

No one's saying Jared Leto won't be a good Joker, people are saying his make up and costume design, or at least the first-look press still of what is hopefully a work in progress, is particularly rubbish.

I think the new screenshot looks a bit better, mostly thanks to the stupid tattoos being either gone, or just offscreen. It does look way too Crow, but that might also be the lighting and the crappy taking-a-picture-of-a-video side effects. Joker's supposed to be idiosyncratically brightly coloured, that's kind of the point of him; whites and yellows and purples and greens. Black lipstick on corpse paint is just boring, but, as I said, hopefully that's just a result of shitty lighting.

One actual disappointment which probably isn't down to picture quality is this mouth. It isn't stretched or scared. No unexplained Chelsea smile, no chemical drying his skin out so it pulls back, he's just a regular guy in makeup, which is a shame, because, and I know the smile isn't always explained in the comics as being because of anything other than just a regular smile, but I personally really like it when they give a creepy or just flat out gross explanation as to why he literally can't stop smiling all the time, and I think the forced-smile Jokers, where he's actually physically deformed, always look better and scarier than just the regular guys in make up (particularly in the comics, where we're now at the point of him cutting his own face off and wearing it like his own superhero mask).

Edited by John Hancock

I personally really like it when they give a creepy or just flat out gross explanation as to why he literally can't stop smiling all the time, and I think the forced-smile Jokers, where he's actually physically deformed, always look better and scarier than just the regular guys in make up (particularly in the comics, where we're now at the point of him cutting his own face off and wearing it like his own superhero mask).

We've actually moved on from him wearing his own face as a mask (which is my personal current favourite Joker iteration), but I won't say anything else because, y'know, spoilers. But yeah, I recommend reading the latest 5 or 6 issues of New 52 Batman.

Word running round the internet at the moment is that the tattoos were actually photoshopped on, which could just be a way of referencing key moments in the history of the Joker, but won't actually be part of his appearance for the movie.

It's right what Hancock said though, it doesn't seem right without the Joker having some kind of screwed up forced smile.