Fan Clubs (beta)

Suicide Squad

DC

They've released a new trailer...instead of the darker/brooding feel of the first trailer they've changed it. I wonder if it's because of some of the criticism they faced with Batman V Superman:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've released a new trailer...instead of the darker/brooding feel of the first trailer they've changed it.
This is the third trailer, so they'd already released a "fun" trailer prior to BvS coming out.

Trailer 1 (dark)

Trailer 2 (fun)

Yeah, apparently they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone further after BvS. The villains perspective is the one thing they rarely get right in comic book movies, doom and gloom is for the tortured heroes. Villains should be full of dark comedy and rarely serious, after all, they're mostly ridiculous anyway.

As Harley says "We're the bad guys, it's what we do."

Edited by etz

This is the third trailer, so they'd already released a "fun" trailer prior to BvS coming out.
Ah, I missed that one. You can see the transition from the first to the 2nd, then this 3rd one adds more of the fun factor. I more excited to see this then Batman V Superman - which I still haven't watched yet! :P

I'd say BvS is worth seeing in the cinema. Yeah there are issues, but it's a decent action romp, just go in with your brain all the way into mindless action film mode and it delivers in spades. The tone gets loads of stick for being too dark, but that's not an issue for me. Batman works being dark in tone, it's just a bit off with Superman.

I was more stoked for Squad anyway as it has Harley Quinn and Joker in it, so that was probably inevitable, and after seeing BvS, the idea of more of Afflecks Batman only adds to that. Despite the shaky nature of BvS, if DC handles it right going forward, Affleck has a real chance of being the highwater mark of the cinema version of Batman.

Plus, I have a feeling Margot is going to slay it as Harley.

Edited by etz

• 3 months later...
Guest The Beltster
So this movie came out, got raped by the critics (surprise etc) and was fucking great. Yep, there are some issues due to choppy editing here and there but overall this was a really fun movie and seeing Afflecks Batman interact with different members of the Suicide Squad was the shit! They HAVE to make a solo Batman movie with the Joker and Harley as the main villains, if they dont it'll be a crime because Affleck is the best Batman I've ever seen and Leto's Joker was perfect.

Guest The Beltster

Nice elitist insult to any movie-goers who enjoyed the film at the end of the review there.

Hey Matthew, whoever you are, go fuck yourself :)

Caught it last weekend and must say with a couple of editing problems and some cheesy script lines. I really enjoyed it. I don't understand the hate for it at all. Easily better than batman vs superman.

Will smiths best film for a few years and Margot Robbie continues to be a Hollywood star in the making with an awesome performance as Harley Quinn

And agreed with belty. They surely have to do next batman film with those two as the baddies.

• Heart 1

Guest The Beltster
Yeah, agree with Fury and Belty. Just back from seeing it and I loved it. Leto was genuinely menacing, I was tense anytime he was on screen, he just felt so unpredictable.
Yes! 100% agree. He came across like he could go psycho at any split second. I came away begging for more Leto Joker.

Guest Yodahew

The plot was fairly non existant and aside from deadshot (good portrayal) harley (apart from one or two things i despised loved the portrayal) and joker (i need to see the rest of his scenes NOW) and diablo there was no story for any of the the rest. What was the point of slipknot? The villain was awful.

Aside from those points i loved the film. Such good fun and a great action film. Batfleck IS batman. Bale can take a hike.

What was the point of slipknot?

... to die.

Yesterday a coworker came into work purely to tell me I was wrong for enjoying the film. he says the film made him so angry he would have walked out if he hadn't paid. :lol

I watched it, I by and large enjoyed it. It's a DC comic book film, it is not supposed to be an artistic masterpiece. There has been three good Batman films and two good Superman Movies ever according to the critics, what was going to be different here? It's a comic book film, they always crap on them by and large.

Leto delivered as Joker, Robbie delivered as Harley, Will Smith actually gave a damn for the first time in a while and put in a decent shift. Sure it wasn't perfect, sure the editing was a bit all over the place and sure the plot was under cooked and yes DC are rushing to catch up with Marvel which is meaning some errors are being made but it did what it was supposed to do - be a fun, dumb summer blockbuster of a comic book movie and keep people interested in the DC universe as a whole.

My only issue is that they made it seem like Joker gives a damn about Harley which he doesn't in a traditional sense. He doesn't want anyone else to have her, she's his toy but he wouldn't go to such great lengths to get her out of prison, he is actually quite abusive BUT at the same time it wouldn't fit with the theme of the movie, of where DC want to take their universe now after the black lash against brooding Sup's and brooding Bat's and to be fair their chemistry was excellent together and made me, despite my attachment to the cartoon and comic history, want to see them together against the Bat in the future.

People just need to take these films less seriously and expect less going in. Every comic book film doesn't have to The Dark Knight, Captain America: The Winter Solider or Guardians of the Galaxy to be enjoyed. To expect every DC film or Marvel one for that matter to hit that bar constantly just sets you up for a fall before you sit down and watch.

My only issue is that they made it seem like Joker gives a damn about Harley which he doesn't in a traditional sense. He doesn't want anyone else to have her, she's his toy but he wouldn't go to such great lengths to get her out of prison, he is actually quite abusive

2 things; firstly they filmed it like that and then cut loads out because they wanted to go the other way, and secondly its a different canon to comics so maybe this one does love Harley.

I know they cut a lot of it out and I know they wanted to take it a different direction, like I said by the end of the film I took my comic purest hat off and enjoyed their interaction together.

They kept the main point the same as it should be in all things Harley and Joker. He was at Arkham, she was his therapist, she feel down the rabbit hole in love with him and run from there.

• Heart 1

Gringo, that's 5 decent Batman films, the Keaton ones were pretty widely acclaimed. Also, Xmen 1& 2, and the first two Spidey movies. And Deadpool.

To say critics crap on comics book films just because they're comic book films is unfair. They crap on the crap ones. The DCEU is 3 movies in, and every single marvel movie in the MCU is better than any of them. We're not talking Winter Soldier or Guardians etc. which are obviously better, we're talking Edward Norton as Hulk, and Thor : The Dark World.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy them for what they are, but to pretend they're good films when they're just enjoyable crap is wrong. Just because something is bad doesn't automatically make it unenjoyable. Look at pretty much all the 80's action movies.

Guest The Beltster
They crap on the crap ones.
No they dont.

The DCEU is 3 movies in, and every single marvel movie in the MCU is better than any of them.
In your opinion.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy them for what they are, but to pretend they're good films when they're just enjoyable crap is wrong. Just because something is bad doesn't automatically make it unenjoyable. Look at pretty much all the 80's action movies.
Thats such a load of bollocks. So if somebody thought BVS, for example, is good, they're wrong just because you say so and just because its generally not a popular film? Get out with that shit. EVERYTHING is subjective when it comes to movies and peoples taste, dont insult people who thought a movie was good by saying they're somehow confused and that its not actually good, they just liked a crap film. That elitist attitude does my fucking head in!