Fan Clubs (beta)

Suicide Squad

DC

Gringo, that's 5 decent Batman films, the Keaton ones were pretty widely acclaimed. Also, Xmen 1& 2, and the first two Spidey movies. And Deadpool.

Batman films universally acclaimed by critics - Batman and Batman Returns and The Dark Knight. 3 films not five. Mixed reviews and box office performance for Begins and Forever, great box office but mixed reviews for Dark Knight Rises and terrible reviews and box office for Batman and Robin.

Everybody seems to think that the Nolan Batman films where universally loved and where the greatest things since sliced bread. They weren't in both instances - Begins was a good origin story, Dark Knight was the masterpiece and Rises was the phoning it in, calling it a day, plot hole ridden bloated third film that all trilogies usually end up with.

Also when I was listing films, I was listing specifically DC comic book films and trying to point out that the critics have never liked them that much in comparison to Marvel films. X-Men 1 was also not universally loved by critics either, X-2: X-Men United was although I loved both of them and like everyone, disliked X-3.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats such a load of bollocks. So if somebody thought BVS, for example, is good, they're wrong just because you say so and just because its generally not a popular film? Get out with that shit. EVERYTHING is subjective when it comes to movies and peoples taste, dont insult people who thought a movie was good by saying they're somehow confused and that its not actually good, they just liked a crap film. That elitist attitude does my fucking head in!

My point was that you can like anything you want, without insisting that it's good. I like Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies, but I wouldn't say they're great cinema. Fuck, I even liked BvS, but I wouldn't say it's a good movie.

There are plenty of technical things about movies which are not subjective, like coherent plotting, continuity and decent editing. That's not elitist, it just is. It's these aspects which the DC films are largely falling down on, which is actually a good thing because they're the easiest to fix. It may well also be a symptom of trying to fit too much into few movies in an attempt to catch up to Marvel, even though trying to do that makes no sense at all.