Fan Clubs | beta

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

WWE SummerSlam 2015 Discussion Thread - August 23, 2015 from Brooklyn, NY (#28)

TPIB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rollins wins with Cena's foot on the rope. I can't see them throwing the Championship match out again with a No-Contest/Countout/DQ whatever finish after Battleground.

That means Rollins takes the US Championship, meaning the Open Challenge has been for nothing in the long run.

Sure, there have been some amazingly good matches and a lot of mid-carders got to hang with John Cena (Rusev, Cesaro and Neville had him beat too), but the whole story was obviously designed for someone to come along and actually take the title from Cena.

The new champ gets the rub from beating Cena, the US title has had some prestige restored to it, Cena does the right thing on the way out the division and can walk back into the main-event picture with a (relatively) clear conscience. If he loses it to Seth, it will mean nothing and if he wins the WWE Championship then vacates the US title, it will also mean nothing for the next guy to hold it.

That means Rollins takes the US Championship, meaning the Open Challenge has been for nothing in the long run.

Sure, there have been some amazingly good matches and a lot of mid-carders got to hang with John Cena (Rusev, Cesaro and Neville had him beat too), but the whole story was obviously designed for someone to come along and actually take the title from Cena.

The new champ gets the rub from beating Cena, the US title has had some prestige restored to it, Cena does the right thing on the way out the division and can walk back into the main-event picture with a (relatively) clear conscience. If he loses it to Seth, it will mean nothing and if he wins the WWE Championship then vacates the US title, it will also mean nothing for the next guy to hold it.

I couldn't agree more. We all know that Cena will have to drop the title at some point, but it should mean something when he does and the guy to beat Cena should be someone who can benefit from the push. Regardless of if he loses the WWE Title down the line, Rollins winning the U.S. Title at this point in his career would not benefit Rollins at all. Sure, Cena has done wonders for the U.S. Title during his reign, but it's still not considered on par with the WWE Championship (nor should it be for that matter). When you look at the list of names who could potentially take the title from Cena, there's a few who could benefit quite well from winning the title. Cesaro and Kevin Owens are right at the top of the list for me. Not only are Owens and Cesaro already feuding (involving the U.S. Title would certainly ramp up the rivalry), but it works for both Superstars right now.

Both Cesaro and Kevin Owens are in a unique position on the card right now where you can't really consider them mid-carders, but you can't consider them main eventers either and that's where the U.S. Title belongs if WWE really wants to keep the title in the good graces of the fans. Not only that, but if they go with Cesaro as the guy to take the title from Cena, then I could easily see Cesaro sticking with the U.S. Open Challenge gimmick.

A returning Sami Zayn winning the US title (doing what Kevin Owens couldn't) would be an organic way to have the belt of Cena, get the Zayn / Owens fued on the main roster and play into the angles for both men. Plus, Cesaro has a history with Zayn (as does Neville), so you have plenty of read-made scenarios to run with.

Guest Edgehead
Agreed that Cena dropping the US title to Rollins would undo everything Cena has done for the title since Mania but this is WWE booking we're dealing with so it really wouldn't surprise me if it happens

Guest Jayfunk
But this is 2015 the booking team don't care about things like that especially with Cena angles, heck look at the outcomes from his feud with Rusev. I think Rollins needs the win more than Cena to put him over. They fued itself hasn't had the greatest of builds so I can't see him dropping it. I see a rematch next month myself. Edited by Kam

What does the conclusion of Rusev v Cena have to do with how good a match Owens v Cesaro will be?

Also, both Owens and Cesaro have been allowed to tear it up in their matches, so I have no reason to believe they won't be allowed to do it together at the "biggest SummerSlam ever".

Or to put things really down the shitter, Rollins wins due to the returning J & J Security coming back and he gives Jamie Noble and Joey Mercury the US Title as a present the next day on RAW. Cesaro then beats them in a handicap the same night. I shouldn't be giving them ideas.

Nothing I was referring to the Cena Rollins options
Then you should have quoted what you were referring to because your post looks like a response to TPIB's comment on Owens v Cesaro.

We are forgetting the get out clause in this whole situation - the Money in the Bank holder.

Cena is on the verge of winning, Sheamus hits, kicks Cena's head off, gets the win over Rollins and that way Cena retains his title and Rollins in a ultimate comeuppance loses the title in the exact way he won the belt.

Cena is then saved to lose the title to whoever, hopefully Zayn who then goes on to feud with Owens and Cesaro, Sheamus probably ends up defending via Reigns or Ambrose once they are done with Bray and Rollins - well who knows but he has been shafted with the way he has been booked so far and the removal of his finisher so who can say what they might have in store for him.

Either that or Owens costs Cena the title in a DQ situation because he can't stand the idea of the man he knows he can beat being the World Champion.

We are forgetting the get out clause in this whole situation - the Money in the Bank holder.

Cena is on the verge of winning, Sheamus hits, kicks Cena's head off, gets the win over Rollins and that way Cena retains his title and Rollins in a ultimate comeuppance loses the title in the exact way he won the belt.

Cena is then saved to lose the title to whoever, hopefully Zayn who then goes on to feud with Owens and Cesaro, Sheamus probably ends up defending via Reigns or Ambrose once they are done with Bray and Rollins - well who knows but he has been shafted with the way he has been booked so far and the removal of his finisher so who can say what they might have in store for him.

This issue with Sheamus doing what Rollins did is that because it's mid-match, it would mean Sheamus added to the match; i.e. the winner still gets both belts.

If that's the case then in a Cena wins situation, he wins, Sheamus cashes in and wins and Cena is still US Champion and we don't get another Cena title run - that works for me.

Plus the MITB contract only allows the person who cashes in a shot at the World Title, negating the US title aspect of the match for Sheamus surely?

Either way you slice it though, the WWE has booked itself into a corner with this match unless it ends in a DQ/No contest OR a cash in. No one wants to see Rollins as a double champions nor Cena.