Fan Clubs (beta)

The Super Mega Off-Topic Thread!

worm

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

"Great thread idea!"

worm was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

In this topic, you can go off-topic! If you want to talk about something, but it's not worthy of its own topic, this is the place to talk about it! There is no specific thread to follow, you can post here whatever you want (within the rules, of course)

Having a bad day? Tell us about it. You saw a funny meme? Share it here! Something awesome happened to you and you want to share it? You are in the right place.

Great thread. I'll start!

My wife and I have been planning a move for the last 1.5 years and we're at the tail end of it. In getting my stuff in order, it feels like the pile won't stop building.

How is it possible to accumulate So. Much. Stuff. And not even know about it?

Netflix Organizing GIF by The Home Edit

Bye Bye Pennsylvania, hello North Carolina

North Carolina GIF by UNC Tar Heels

Edited by Motorcycle Nerd
Edited accommodate to accumulate

18 hours ago, Motorcycle Nerd said:

My wife and I have been planning a move for the last 1.5 years and we're at the tail end of it. In getting my stuff in order, it feels like the pile won't stop building.

How is it possible to accommodate So. Much. Stuff. And not even know about it?

Congratulations! You are almost there!

I moved a lot as a kid and that always surprised me, the amount of stuff that came out of drawers and closets, suddenly you need 100 boxes for everything, it's crazy!

18 hours ago, worm said:

Congratulations! You are almost there!

I moved a lot as a kid and that always surprised me, the amount of stuff that came out of drawers and closets, suddenly you need 100 boxes for everything, it's crazy!

It really is crazy. How'd you handle the moves? I didn't move until I left my family home growing up.

• Lived at the same house until getting my own rental
  • Rented for a year with my now-wife
  • Owned for the last 10 years and now moving to a rental in NC

This is the first move where I have a significant amount of stuff though. Getting my first place, I didn't have much. Then we only rented for a year before buying, so we didn't accumulate much. Now the last 10 years + two kids.... I still have no idea where we kept all of this. 😆

1 hour ago, worm said:

I reached my first month in a new job, the first one WFH (working from home) and man, it's amazing! I come from years of years of retail HELL and finally I got a good job. I'm super stoked!

Congrats on the new job!!! I was lucky enough to land my first WFH job in 2017 and I can't go back to an office. I connected with so many great people and it's just much easier for me to focus on the job and really get things done.

Congrats again! If you enjoy it, there's no turning back afterwards. Haha.

6 minutes ago, Motorcycle Nerd said:

It really is crazy. How'd you handle the moves? I didn't move until I left my family home growing up.

• Lived at the same house until getting my own rental
  • Rented for a year with my now-wife
  • Owned for the last 10 years and now moving to a rental in NC

This is the first move where I have a significant amount of stuff though. Getting my first place, I didn't have much. Then we only rented for a year before buying, so we didn't accumulate much. Now the last 10 years + two kids.... I still have no idea where we kept all of this. 😆

Well, I didn't have much of an option when I was a kid, and all my stuff combined were like 2 or 3 boxes max. Now I'm living with my gf and it's like you said, I didn't have much to pack when getting our first place.

I guess the thing with moving is that we keep so much stuff inside furniture, but when you move you do it with your furnitures empty, if not they would weight an awful bunch.

6 minutes ago, Motorcycle Nerd said:

Congrats on the new job!!! I was lucky enough to land my first WFH job in 2017 and I can't go back to an office. I connected with so many great people and it's just much easier for me to focus on the job and really get things done.

Congrats again! If you enjoy it, there's no turning back afterwards. Haha.

Thank you! I WFH but 1 or 2 days a week I go to the office. It's my first office job tho so I'm really happy about it, coming from retail, warehouses, kitchen assistance, all kinds of chaotic crap! But yeah, one day I will want to only and fully WFH.

20 minutes ago, worm said:

Well, I didn't have much of an option when I was a kid, and all my stuff combined were like 2 or 3 boxes max. Now I'm living with my gf and it's like you said, I didn't have much to pack when getting our first place.

I guess the thing with moving is that we keep so much stuff inside furniture, but when you move you do it with your furnitures empty, if not they would weight an awful bunch.

Thank you! I WFH but 1 or 2 days a week I go to the office. It's my first office job tho so I'm really happy about it, coming from retail, warehouses, kitchen assistance, all kinds of chaotic crap! But yeah, one day I will want to only and fully WFH.

1 or 2 days in the office a week isn't a bad deal! I would be able to live with that. If I ever had to go to an office again though, I would want it to only be around specific projects that would be better as a collaborative effort. Just going to the office to be there once or twice a week though. No Bueno 😛

3 minutes ago, worm said:

I just got my water-purification-thingy I bought a couple of days ago, I'm stoked! Finally I can drink tap water without it tasting like bleach, yay!

Awesome! Now just remember to change the filters when it starts blinking red. Speaking of which, I should probably check on mine 👀

2 minutes ago, Motorcycle Nerd said:

Awesome! Now just remember to change the filters when it starts blinking red. Speaking of which, I should probably check on mine 👀

It has a duration of 1 year and I bought a spare filter! So luckily I'm covered! But wait...blinking red? What? What kind of purificator do you have? It blinks red when it's time to change it? 😮

2 minutes ago, worm said:

It has a duration of 1 year and I bought a spare filter! So luckily I'm covered! But wait...blinking red? What? What kind of purificator do you have? It blinks red when it's time to change it? 😮

Mine is probably different. I have a Brita pitcher that we fill up with Tap Water. On the pitcher, there's a green light that turns red after so many uses. I think these filters are only good for about 3 months or so.

52 minutes ago, Motorcycle Nerd said:

Mine is probably different. I have a Brita pitcher that we fill up with Tap Water. On the pitcher, there's a green light that turns red after so many uses. I think these filters are only good for about 3 months or so.

Ohhh I see, I just googled Brita pitcher and now I understand. This is what I have:

Spoiler

Purificador de Agua Dvigi Sobre Mesada Modelo AQUA

(Is it possible to put the image inside a spoiler?)

45 minutes ago, worm said:

Ohhh I see, I just googled Brita pitcher and now I understand. This is what I have:

[spoiler]Purificador de Agua Dvigi Sobre Mesada Modelo AQUA[/spoiler]

(Is it possible to put the image inside a spoiler?)

I believe it is, but it's not the old BBcode that you're used to. I just added a spoiler button to the Toolbar. That's what you can use going forward 🙂

12 minutes ago, worm said:

Awesome! It will be useful 😎 I cannot edit my previous comment tho, I point it out just in case

That's by design. At the moment, I have a 5-minute allowance in place for making edits. When I had it as unlimited, there were ninja-spammers who would act like regular posters only to go back and edit their posts to add spam links after a few weeks. I'm sure there are other benefits as well to limiting edit time, but I'm hoping 5 minutes is enough time for most edits. 🤞

After receiving some feedback, I reduced the 'My Fan Clubs' block under profile photos from 9 random clubs down to 3. This should still encourage Fan Club discovery, but it should also cut down on the scrolling quite a bit on desktop. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Nice! It looks better. Can we choose our top 3 somehow? Or maybe display first the ones we created? If not, it still looks better and it's a nice addition!

EDIT:

OOHH, it changes everytime you post! Mine are different from my previous post. Nevermind what I said, this is awesome!

Edited by worm
  • Heart 1

17 hours ago, worm said:

Nice! It looks better. Can we choose our top 3 somehow? Or maybe display first the ones we created? If not, it still looks better and it's a nice addition!

EDIT:

OOHH, it changes everytime you post! Mine are different from my previous post. Nevermind what I said, this is awesome!

Yup! I have it set to show three random Fan Clubs, so each post can feature different clubs. I think that's the best way to show more Fan Clubs to members, giving them more opportunities to find ones they're interested in.

The other options are to sort them by name or to sort them by latest activity, which I considered. I want to make sure all Fan Clubs have a chance to get noticed and Latest Activity limits that right now. As the site grows, there's a chance I switch to sorting by the latest activity.

I do like the idea of choosing the three, but I don't have a way to make that happen right now.