Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Hatton V Mayweather On?

Guest The Great Ahmar

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently all tickets were gone in 3 minutes. I haeven't sen that confirmed yet, but it sounds accurate.

They messed up hugely on choosing the venue. This fight could have easily sold 25,000 in America and would fall a few thousand short of filling Wembley.

It means I won't be off, I'm afraid. I had a look at tickets today and there was nothing. Unless I see a few seperate ones on eBay, I'll go to Calzaghe/Kessler instead.

Guest Notorious JTB

i want hatton to win this but i see it going to mayweather he really is just the best pound for pound fighter at the moment but has zero fans and no marketability!

the fans i can explain because he is arrogant and not exactly a likeable guy but marketing him i have no clue they have had him as a millionaire playboy and hip hop loving guy then just went for the religious thing but it hasnt worked *** he talks so much **** and says things so disrespectful that no one can really buy that this guy could have any relationship with god

and did you see the press conference!!? lol hatton just laughed at him

Or for any Northerners, on Friday, it's at Manchester Town Hall, Albert Square. Should start at 10:30am. That will be shown on the big screens. The fan rally is at 12:00, for anyone who wants to attend.

Hatton just said "fuc*ing" twice while they were showing the press conference live on Sky sports news,forcing them to say sorry and take a break :lol

Guest Citizen Kane

Mayweather with the United shirt was genius.

I'm not a massive boxing fan, but I do follow what's going on and I don't think I've been as interested in a fight before as I am for this one. One would hope Hatton could pull out the win, but I think Mayweather will take it. The fight will be great though.

Another dream fight in the making??

Six-weight world champion Oscar De La Hoya has admitted he could return to the ring to fight Ricky Hatton.

De La Hoya, 34, is promoting Hatton's December showdown with Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas and despite having indicated he would quit after losing to Mayweather in May, the 'Golden Boy' now says he wants Hatton to prevail to set up a meeting between the two.

The American told BBC1's Inside Sport: "Let's put it this way, I'm crossing my fingers for Hatton.

"I believe that Ricky Hatton has a wonderful shot.

"I'm not retired and I believe that my body can still handle the big fights," he continued.

"I want to fight three times next year, with two big fights in May and September. It isn't out of the question that I'll meet Ricky Hatton next year.

"I'm used to fighting once a year. I'm at the tail-end of my career but I feel that if I can have one tune-up fight first, get the ring-rust out of me, get into the rhythm of things, then I can have two other big fights in May and September.

"Then I think we'll be good for hanging up those gloves and calling it a career."

Guest carlito is cool
Just brought myself 2 tickets of Razorgator came to £650 a ticket. Really want Ricky to do it and am actually starting to believe he will nick a close points win.

The more I look into this fight, the more it looks hopeless for Hatton. Floyd's struggled most (which still isn't saying much as he ended up beating them) against pressure fighters, yes, but is Hatton capable enough to chase down Floyd and be even more effective than Castillo was at nullifying him? I don't think he can.

In 2002 JLC was a beast and was excellent at applying pressure, even from a bit of distance. Hatton needs to be right up on his opponent, manhandling him into position, and pounding away. Floyd will never be available at that position. In the early rounds there will be some friction, but once things settle down, it'll be Floyd connecting whenever Hatton even looks up to move in, and getting the hell out of the way. UD for Floyd. Hatton just isn't the guy to do it. I still think that's Shane Mosley.

The more I look into this fight, the more it looks hopeless for Hatton. Floyd's struggled most (which still isn't saying much as he ended up beating them) against pressure fighters, yes, but is Hatton capable enough to chase down Floyd and be even more effective than Castillo was at nullifying him? I don't think he can.
I disagree. I think Hatton has a big edge over the pressure fighters which troubled Mayweather, and that is, his unorthodox style. Instead of moving in on a jab, he will throw a hook to the body, or a straight right. It's very hard to see coming, especially for the Philly Shell which will always eat up boxers, if done right. What Hatton does well is give himself great angles. He cuts of the ring, moves side to side and will pounce with a punch you wouldn't think was coming. Against some fighters, I think that is a weakness, but a defensively minded fighter like Mayweather should be a relatively sitting duck for Hatton's awkward combinations.

Against De La Hoya, Mayweather knew what was coming. De La Hoya relied on the jab to get inside, and then went to the body when he was there. All he had to do, was block the body punches and catch Oscar on the way in, and, of course, he did that incredibly well.

Against JLC, is was almost the same thing. I think Castillo was an absolutely great fighter, but his offence was quite predictable. He used the same methods as De La Hoya, but had the same faults as his too. He was open for the counter attack and fell victim to Floyd's speed advantage.

Hatton doesn't have to suffer the same fate because he can avoid Mayweather's assault from outside. Once he gets inside, like De La Hoya and Castillo, he will score points. Getting inside is the problem, but also the way to beat PBF. It's why I don't think any straight up boxer beats Floyd, unless they have an edge in speed.

Hatton isn't too great defensively and his unorthodox attacks do leave him open, so he will have to take plenty of punches to get inside. Realistically, every time he pressed forward, mayweather will connect. The question is, can he get inside? And if he can, will he do enough work? I'd say "Yes" to both.

That said, if I had to choose one, it'd be Mayweather, but I think it will be very close. Just the styles match-up. Both men can win and that's what makes it so great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WWEbelfastgal
Is it being shown live on Box Office or what? If so, what time would it be on at? I'd be interested in ordering this :xyx Edited by WWEbelfastgal

Yes it's on Sky Box office.

The Hatton fight will probaly start at about 4am, but i would hazard that the coverage will start between 11pm and midnight.

Intrestingy enougth Amir Khans next fight is on the same evening, so ITV will have a card earlier in the evening. Really is looking a great night for armchair boxing fans.