Martial Arts

Hatton V Mayweather On?

Guest The Great Ahmar

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

The Ref was shocking in this fight, as soon as Hatton got in close he stepped in before waiting to see if any punchers were going to be thrown, then started to blame Hatton for everything including the times that Mayweather was using his elbows and forearms to back Hatton up and ducking below the belt to avoid exchanges before they happened

Mayweather's team had (reportadly) pressured the ref before the fight to be watchful and crackdown on roughstuff inside from Hatton which boy did he relish doing

That said Mayweather was simply too good for Hatton, and in the form he showed in this fight i'd say too good for anyone in his weight class, good attempt form Hatton but he came up against a superior boxer

I agree with the sentiments on the ref, he spoiled the match for me and prevented Haton form fighting at his best. I also thought PBF fought a very cheap fight (nearly headbutting Hattons groin, thats how far down he was ducking), but it was effective. Credit to Mayweather as he got the job done, I just didnt like how he was doing it. :P

Mind, its probable that the same situation would have happened even if PBF was more....stand up than he was.

Well, I personally don't like Hatton's style at all. He's a lot John "Body Hugger" Ruiz where he works from the clinch, which is technically illegal. However, refs for the most part let it go on, so Floyd stopped this by making a big deal of clinching himself. However, Hatton was still able to corner in Floyd against the ropes often, he could just do absolutely nothing as Floyd's is excellent at shelling up, evading, and fighting out.

The ref did nothing wrong. Floyd made sure to clinch as often as Ricky likes to, so the ref had to do something.

What we saw was Mayweather being a very wily champion and countering Hatton's in-fighting by ducking in and tying him up, and yet Hatton was the one who was warned by Cortez. I am still absolutely baffled how Hatton could be deducted a point when Mayweather turned his back on Hatton. Technically speaking, turning your back on your opponent can be taken as a sign of quitting a fight, and I have previously seen a fight stopped for this very reason many years ago.

credit: Dean Ayass on the UKFF.

I very much agree with the above. Dont get me wrong, Hatton was outclassed, but I do feel that the match could have been more exciting.

HAAAAA! I knew that Mayweather was going to win, but I was praying for a Hatton KO. Sadly it didn't happen. Now it's time for Miguel Cotto time against the Pretty boy!

credit: Dean Ayass on the UKFF.

I very much agree with the above. Dont get me wrong, Hatton was outclassed, but I do feel that the match could have been more exciting.

On the point of the point deduction, it isn't that Floyd turned around, it's that after he turned, Ricky continue to try and push him to the ropes, and even when Floyd's head was between the ropes, Ricky threw a punch over the ropes at the back of his head. Never, in those circunstances, has a fight been stopped.

The fight couldn't have been any more exciting if the ref hadn't tried to stop clinching. Hatton wasn't the only on warned. In the second, he stopped and told both of them several times that if the rampant clinching didn't stop he was going to take points. He told both of them.

So, after that Hatton would try to bulldoze his way to the ropes. At one point, I saw him put his arms on either side of Floyd and grab the ropes, trapping Floyd in. He only held for a second, but it stopped Floyd's lateral movement and then he proceeded to attempt what he does best.

The ref stopped both of them from doing what it seems they where set on doing. Floyd at he start would hit Ricky as he darted in and clinch. Ricky would want to clinch and move it to the ropes.

Also, the case of "Floyd almost head-butting Ricky in the crotch" seemed to be Floyd consistently trying to either weasel out of in-fighting or snake up for a right hand, but Ricky simply grabbing him in DDT position each time and stifling his attempt.

I really hope Floyd goes back on his words (again) and fights Cotto. He's undefeated, but I feel an even less dangerous opponent for PBF. He's bigger than Hatton and Castillo, yes, but also much slower and was out-boxed by Floyd's jobber-boy Zab for a few rounds. I think Floyd takes that fight easily.

Guest MastersGonads
On the point of the point deduction, it isn't that Floyd turned around, it's that after he turned, Ricky continue to try and push him to the ropes, and even when Floyd's head was between the ropes, Ricky threw a punch over the ropes at the back of his head. Never, in those circunstances, has a fight been stopped.

But a point shouldnt have been deducted then, as was quoted on HBO last night, if the fighter hits the top of the ropes, then the shot is nullified...quoting HBO not me.

On the fight, Mayweather knew, that however, whether it be ducking or tying up Hatton, if he managed to get first the forst 5 rounds, then the fight was his. His tactics worked, Hatton became one dimensional, and Mayweather picked him off with the jab before Hatton became ragged, and Mayweather finished it.

For me it wasnt so much Cortez being slack, but Mayweather fighting clever. He managed to get his forearm in the way of any of Hatton's body shots, and ducked low before Hatton could get close...Mayweather boxed clever, and Cortez fell for it...

But in fairness, to Hatton, that was the best of Mayweather, and it needed a goof dighter, to bring that out of him.

I do feel that the match could have been more exciting.

i agree dude, stayed up till 5 and got a counter-attacking boxing match filled with hugs and the odd jab. Floyd was 'hit and run' but he did it very well

i feel Hatton could have been more sporting at the end in his post-match interview though

I felt sorry for Hatton because he got whooped by Pretty Boy during the different knockdowns. The one where his head bounced off the corner padding was just too funny. :lol

• 2 weeks later...

From SkySports

Ricky Hatton's clash with Floyd Mayweather generated huge pay-per-view numbers in America.

Their recent "Undefeated" showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated 850,000 domestic buys for HBO, bringing a whopping $47million in revenue.

It's the most successful fight ever that didn't involve Oscar De La Hoya, Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield.

"Mayweather-Hatton was one of boxing's most memorable nights of the past decade and was the perfect ending to a resurgent year for the sport," HBO's Taffet told ESPN.

"Also, in becoming the highest-grossing PPV fight ever in which neither a heavyweight nor a Latino superstar was featured, Mayweather/Hatton blazed a new trail, which opens new doors and bodes very well for the future."

Mayweather/Hatton was the second-biggest boxing pay-per-view fight of the year.

Mayweather's previous fight - a victory against De La Hoya on May 5 - generated numerous records including 2.4 million PPV buys and $134m in PPV revenue.

The fight also capped a record-breaking year for HBO PPV, who generated £255m with their eight shows.

Stolen from the beeb

Mayweather, are you listening?

In the gym, sweat is glistening

I'll eat you alive - and take you in five

Walking in a Hatton Wonderland

Cheerio to the pasties

See ya beers, no more Astis

I'll rip off yer 'ead - and put you to bed

Walking in a Hatton Wonderland

When I get home I'm gonna build a snowman

Then pretend that he is flaky Floyd

He'll say 'wanna rematch' - I'll say 'no, man'